Diesel Jeep Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picked up ours in late December. Later production had elecrical ground strap tightened and update FLASH done before it left Ohio. My dealer double checked before pickup. Have 1700 miles w/no problems. Try to use diesel from brand name gas stations (Exxon, Shell, BP) with high sales volume
Divega,
That's great news, I hope things hold up! I too try to go to the active and quality stations for filling up, also try to always keep the tank from going anywhere close to below 1/4 tank just to be safe from any dirt crud or water etc. Easy enough to keep it up given the fantastic MPG's we get. Even with a leaking fuel line I managed 30mpg from CT to KY.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My P20EE codes started appearing at approximately 8500 miles. I kept resetting and waited to address it until I had a feel for what was going on. Two weeks ago a new cat was ordered. last week my DEF gauge went from 50% to 80% followed by a you have 200 miles until vehicle will not start. I am now driving a 2015 Subaru Forester loaner with 1200 miles on it. I am in no rush........ it's not as nice as the Jeep but it's free miles and I'm bothering them until spring if it takes that long. My trailer is winterized and a new car for a winter beater is a piece of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like I'm on the bandwagon as well. Just received the P20EE code.... I'm at 8500 miles. Dealer appointment on Thursday 12/ 17/14 to service and inspect. Service adviser wasn't interested in what I had to offer in possible explanation. I will point out the October service bulletin. And, learned there is only one diesel mechanic is employed at this dealer. I hope he is well read and up to speed to avoid a potential bad experience!
Latest Update: Im on the way to the dealer for this service and the CEL goes off !! I check it with my U-Scan and app and its now all clear! So, after 5 days with the light on and the P20EE code, it went off by itself. Upon arrivel, dealer refused to inspect the vehicle or perform the latest update per The October Bulletin unless I paid for it out of pocket. So I left...
I did notice the day before my service appointment, one of the codes showing a "regeneration of a low percent 20-30%". Later that day, I attempted to give it consistently higher rpms and drive faster thru my suburban streets and some highway. This same percentage # gradually increased to about 68%. If only I knew what I was looking at! Anybody have an on-line reference to better understand some of these scanner readouts and acronyms?
2 Days later I drove 125 miles highway, no light and mpg reading at 29.5

·
Registered
33 Posts
Casper, sounds like the same issues I had. DEF Pump and Injector replaced, tank and lines flushed, TSBs applied, and finally Cat replaced. No issues in 1800 miles. Jeep will have to address this if replacement cats fail. All required emissions equipment must be warranted for 8 yrs/80k miles by law from what I understand.
Had new cat about 3 weeks and 1800 miles ago. No problems with MIL; never did have a DEF Warning message (at least not yet).
ExcursionDiesel -- any updates or issues after cat change ?? Only took 1 week for new cat to arrive at dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an expensive paper weight sitting in my driveway for the last week. Has a message saying "83" miles left till a no start. Dealer waiting for the cat but for now, no ETA. This will be trip #5 . Really tired of this garbage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an expensive paper weight sitting in my driveway for the last week. Has a message saying "83" miles left till a no start. Dealer waiting for the cat but for now, no ETA. This will be trip #5 . Really tired of this garbage.
I remain confused about what appears to be 2 different issues. While I got the MIL light on scenario at least 4 times, the new cat seems to have eliminated the light issue for at least the last 1800 miles. I have NEVER gotten the mileage countdown with the wrong/contaminated DEF message.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Aren't we all confused. When we spend big bucks and have this much confusion. I had trouble lights galore and now carry an OBD2 with me to clear codes. Same non sense all the time. My Def was checked by the dealer and was never the problem. Now no codes present and still have the message quoted above. Dealer convinced that the cat should clear it all up. Hope so cuz I'm at whits end.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have mine back. The dealer loaded a patch that he said addressed the "you have XXX miles" problem. He said it had come out the 19th of this month. I'm still resetting P20EE codes until the cat comes in. It shows up anywhere from 190 to 260 miles. It's been 3 weeks since they ordered the cat. I don't really understand the connection between the two problems..... but he thinks that bad cat is was causing problems with how the vehicle was tracking DEF usage. Me... I think that when they loaded the patch that addressed oil usage that it also reduced DEF usage because I noticed that the meter was moving at about half the speed. It went from about a gallon per 1000 miles to about a quart per 1000 miles. And that's when the P20EE's started. He also mentioned that their might of been a problem with the dosser using too much DEF which was resulting in crystallization. I'm thinking that they might have gone from too much to too little. But so far I have had a vehicle to drive and have not been charged for anything. I am confident that my problems will be resolved in a few weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My saga continues along with you...
I reported on the 19th my mil light went off after 5 days and all seemed ok despite the code reading P20EE
Today, Def fluid was getting low so I added container and as soon as I started to drive the car, light illuminated and the message appeared about bad def and to see the dealer. Also received a new code: P2BA9
Those of you who are further along with these issues- what is the best course of action?
Updates:
12/29/14: dreaded count down light came on - 200 miles and car will not start thereafter.
Current mileage is at 13,000. I literally taped a note for the mechanic where scanner plugs in with notes from this forum! Asked to please order the parts now.
Appointment at dealer in morning...
12/30/14: pick up from dealer. Check engine light now off. They performed a number of the software upgrades.... Report its fixed?
1/2/15: check engine light back on. After Approx 80 miles , Same P20EE code.
1/6/15: back to dealer , ordering the cat but it's on back order with no date provided. Gave me a Dodge Dart to drive for now. Asked if they did a def flow test. No response.

4/20/15 months later, now at 17,000 + miles. Cat was replaced in mid January and no problems since then....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I have 3500 miles on my Jeep and had the MIL (P20EE) come on twice within 50 miles. Lucky for me the service dept was right on top of it. They let me know they are replacing the cat conv and some other parts Chrysler suggested. Parts are 5-10 days out. Glad I saw this forum as it was helpful to me and to the service manage as the diesel is not a very common vehicle yet for these guys. I have to say I also got a call from Chrysler customer service making sure I was all set. I love everything about the Jeep and I am sure they will work all the bugs out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I just found these forums and it is nice to know that I am not the only one suffering from all these issues- misery loves company :) Thought I would add my story

So- first of all- I have a 14 GC Overland with 10k miles. Problems all started at about 5k miles- well documented MIL issues and after 6 trips finally got a cat converter. Jeep drove fine for about 150 miles then dreaded MIL back on. This time though code P1071- too lean bank one error code. take back to dealer who after a couple of days states- we checked your fuel with the "styrofoam" cup test and we think there is regular gas in the tank- I had the receipt from the last fillup and showed them- also got a sample from them. Fuel looked fine to me- took the sample to nearby lab for testing- 1100 dollars to drop/flush fuel tank and lines and filters- not covered by warranty of course. They called my wife and she okayed the repairs before talking with me. So OK- get the jeep and they left me with less than a gallon of gas after the repair so on the way home need to get diesel- I only go to high volume gas stations in order to try and get good diesel. anyway fill it up and not 50 miles later- MIL back on same code P1071. REALLY PO'd now- take back to dealer- get back to me one day later and low and behold- exact same diagnosis- 'Bad gas" and want another 1100 to fix- I tell them to p%ss up a rope and take the jeep home- Jeep has driven fine through it all- with absolutely no symptoms of gas in tank. waiting for appt at new dealership, one with an actual 3.0 certified mechanic. I am pursuing legal action pending test results.

One more thing- this 'styrofoam' cup test- I asked them how they did it and to show me the cup they used- It was a Sonic fast food drink cup- so I went to Sonic and got five cups- went to 5 different gas stations and got diesel samples from each- Low and behold- all 5 had diesel weaping through cup. A positive test for them. So as you can only imagine I am beyond frustrated, PO'd and all of the above. I am hoping that a new dealership can actually figure out what is going on- There is a new TSB from March #18-023-15 which states that pcm needs to be re-flashed and symptoms may include p0171 error code. Hoping this is the issue but who freakin knows. vaccuum leak, airflow sensor, continued DEF problems could be any of the above.

Just so everyone knows the dealer in question is on S Broadway in Denver, CO- I would stay away from them

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I just found these forums and it is nice to know that I am not the only one suffering from all these issues- misery loves company :) Thought I would add my story

So- first of all- I have a 14 GC Overland with 10k miles. Problems all started at about 5k miles- well documented MIL issues and after 6 trips finally got a cat converter. Jeep drove fine for about 150 miles then dreaded MIL back on. This time though code P1071- too lean bank one error code. take back to dealer who after a couple of days states- we checked your fuel with the "styrofoam" cup test and we think there is regular gas in the tank- I had the receipt from the last fillup and showed them- also got a sample from them. Fuel looked fine to me- took the sample to nearby lab for testing- 1100 dollars to drop/flush fuel tank and lines and filters- not covered by warranty of course. They called my wife and she okayed the repairs before talking with me. So OK- get the jeep and they left me with less than a gallon of gas after the repair so on the way home need to get diesel- I only go to high volume gas stations in order to try and get good diesel. anyway fill it up and not 50 miles later- MIL back on same code P1071. REALLY PO'd now- take back to dealer- get back to me one day later and low and behold- exact same diagnosis- 'Bad gas" and want another 1100 to fix- I tell them to p%ss up a rope and take the jeep home- Jeep has driven fine through it all- with absolutely no symptoms of gas in tank. waiting for appt at new dealership, one with an actual 3.0 certified mechanic. I am pursuing legal action pending test results.

One more thing- this 'styrofoam' cup test- I asked them how they did it and to show me the cup they used- It was a Sonic fast food drink cup- so I went to Sonic and got five cups- went to 5 different gas stations and got diesel samples from each- Low and behold- all 5 had diesel weaping through cup. A positive test for them. So as you can only imagine I am beyond frustrated, PO'd and all of the above. I am hoping that a new dealership can actually figure out what is going on- There is a new TSB from March #18-023-15 which states that pcm needs to be re-flashed and symptoms may include p0171 error code. Hoping this is the issue but who freakin knows. vaccuum leak, airflow sensor, continued DEF problems could be any of the above.

Just so everyone knows the dealer in question is on S Broadway in Denver, CO- I would stay away from them
Good to know since I'm in Denver! We originally went to the jeep dealer on arapahoe rd since we went into limp mode a mile from them. It took them 3 days to tell us they didn't have a diesel tech and then they sent it across the street to the dodge dealership were it say for another week. We've had it into the dodge dealership probably a half dozen times - and they are incompetent too - but luckily it hasn't broken again in about 8 months. Jeep service is AWFUL. I love the car (when it's working) but would never buy another jeep after dealing with the service departments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the toyota dealership yesterday looking to trade it in after all the issues- (I as well love the car, when it works!!!!) The only problem is that I test drove a 4runner- and the thing is an absolute DOG, couldnt do it after getting used to the diesel jeep. I am so frustrated but dont know what to do-

I agree with you- just because of the service- NEVER AGAIN

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone...

I am a owner of a Diesel JGC and I live in Puerto Rico and you can not imagine how things are here, since my first visit to the dealer to problems with the DEF, in my record I have 16 times but the reality is like 22 times, then I decided lemon Law it is, know this PUERTO RICO has NO lemon law, What!!!! I had to hire a lawyer to see what can be done with the department of consumers here in Puerto Rico, that was in december 2014, waited five months for a review of my case, went to a inspection yesterday, guess what i have to go to court for a litigation of my case, can you imagine go to court for something you bought and it's damage, and i have the prove with the paperwork from the dealer, that kind of sh!t. Any advice will be well received.

PD

sorry if there is an error in the English language

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2014 Jeep GC diesel. 40,044 miles and haven't taken in for issues.I service the engine oil,filters etc.
Great engine, great mileage

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to buy JGC diesel and after reading many reviews in here, I wrote the following and sent it to several local Jeep dealers. Here is the letter:
I would like to pursue acquiring the new Jeep, but I do have some concerns in regards to reliability the diesel version. I am not interested in gas engine.
There are a lot of complaints in different forums, reviews and analysis about frequent problems. The most common are:
- DEF warnings and error messages. In many cases there is a warning that the engine will stop running in 200 miles. This is not because there is no fluid in the DEF tank.
- Parts shortage. It seems that for all parts there is a waiting period between 2 - 6 weeks.
- Engine light On.
- Catalytic Converter.
- Nationwide Diesel Jeep owners are considering a class action against Jeep under the Lemon Law.
There are other issues but the above are most common and too many.
Please take this to your supervisor and dealer manager. I would like to know their opinion and what Jeep is doing in fixing those issues.
Thank you , I'll be waiting for your reply.

Only one dealer replied:
I spoke with the Service Department, and showed them your concerns to see what these issues are, and how they are being handled. They're all centered around when we first brought the EcoDiesel to the US, the EPA at first gave FCA one standard it had to meet, and when the engines arrived the EPA required FCA to meet another. The DEF warnings, Engine light, Catalytic issues are all related to this. The first couple batches of engines have required several software updates to rectify the problem, and a redesigned DEF Dosage Module. The Catalytic Converter issues are related to the DEF Dosage Module, that has since been replaced in the newer engines/vehicles. These issues are primarily associated with the 2014 models that had the first batches of the EcoDiesel engines.

These have so far not been issues in the 2015 Grand Cherokees with the EcoDiesel, and they hope won't be.

The parts shortage, is due to the popularity of the EcoDiesel and FCA has required the manufacturer to increase its production to rectify the problem. They're now running extra shifts to keep up with demand and help with parts availability. I found something online about the class action, but it looked like it was geared to the older diesel engines that were in the Liberty's.

Hopefully this helps alleviate your concerns. Let me know if there's anything else I can do, or information I can provide, to help you in your decision whether or not to purchase the Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel.

The End!

Please let me know what you think,

Thank you,

Tibi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I have had no issues. I live in northern Illinois. I use straight diesel premium with no bio. I use a good diesel lubricant in the fuel. I have my own storage tank and purchase the fuel from my farm supplier. The DEF is purchased from a truck fleet supplier that is always good quality and just recently produced.I love the engineering of the Jeep and the Italain made engine. It's superb. If you use good diesel and fresh DEF you will have no issues. This Engine will go at least 200,000 miles.I love it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, i am really happy you have had no issues- potentially you are a lucky one that got a machine that wasnt prone to them. But to put a blanket statement like the above I believe is a little out of line. As well i dont believe in a modern car you should have to have your own diesel storage tank where you can guarantee fuel quality- some of the 14 GC's do have this issue- regardless of what diesel you put in em- its been pretty well documented. Now we need to get the dealerships up to speed on how to fix it and stop trying to screw people- this should be Chryslers job but so far I and many others have been sorely dissapointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like I said it's truly a great engineered machine.I can't be any more happier.
I am sure when and if my Diesel engine ever needs service that my Dealer would handle it smooth and professional. No issues= I love my Diesel. 41, 300 miles and no visits to the Dealer

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Wife and I were looking at and test drove the new GC Summit Diesel and loved it. We are ready to order one but I started to read Recalls, electrical problems with the display, and a engine wire harness issue that put the Jeep in "limp Mode" (30 mph)...I kept reading and hearing the horror stories of these new Jeep owners, most of which regret their purchase.

Has anyone had issues with their GC Diesel?
Thanks

We leased our JGC diesel in April 14, a '14 model. 200 miles into our lease, it was in the shop for 3 weeks due to a DEF issue. Two months later, after stranding me several times, we found out the main control board was putting the thing to sleep, and was draining the battery. 6 months of good running. Now, I've got check engine lights popping up due to some software issue. Took it in last week for 12,000 mile oil change and engine light reset. HVAC system not turning on for more than 20+ minutes after starting it. They reset it, worked fine, woke up next morning and now engine light and same issue with HVAC system. Sat on the side of the road in a rain storm in Denver because there was no front defrost. Sweated the next day in 65+ degree weather due to no AC.
Love the gas mileage, the torque, the ride. Hate the issues. About ready to just turn it back in.

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times.....

61 - 80 of 108 Posts