Diesel Jeep Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Wife and I were looking at and test drove the new GC Summit Diesel and loved it. We are ready to order one but I started to read Recalls, electrical problems with the display, and a engine wire harness issue that put the Jeep in "limp Mode" (30 mph)...I kept reading and hearing the horror stories of these new Jeep owners, most of which regret their purchase.

Has anyone had issues with their GC Diesel?
Thanks
Mine is a 2014, since last year while towing a 6300 lb. Airstream it has overheated the oil, three times since then the coolant has overheated. They have replaced the water pump and fixed leaks, this is all to much. right now I'm stuck in Bakersfield. I'm ready to dump the car. The manufacture stated it was rated to 7300 lbs. towing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine is a 2014, since last year while towing a 6300 lb. Airstream it has overheated the oil, three times since then the coolant has overheated. They have replaced the water pump and fixed leaks, this is all to much. right now I'm stuck in Bakersfield. I'm ready to dump the car. The manufacture stated it was rated to 7300 lbs. towing.
When I purchased mine (also a 2014) I asked the salesman if people had encountered issues and he mentioned overheating when towing. I think I've seen other people report that if they downshift a few gears (keeping the revs higher) the engine cools down. I don't have any experience with this as I've never towed anything with mine, but I've also never had it overheat either. Has anyone else tried using the paddle shifters when towing and still had overheating problems? I may down the line want to get something to tow, but I'm leaning real heavy towards a Ram 2500 with a Cummins for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No one builds a problem-free vehicle. A problem only becomes a "horror story" when the dealer or manufacturer cannot fix it and you make it one. That can happen with any vehicle.

I had a 98 GC that went back under my state's lemon law at 1.5 years old and with 17000 miles. The dealer made every attempt to track the problem down and fix it with no luck. Chrysler stood behind the vehicle and I'm still driving Jeeps to this day. As they say, poop happens.

Help I have a 2014 JGC echodiesel I have taken it in to the dealer for the exhaust four times now first it was a software update 2. catalytic converter 3 particulate module sensor 4 now the exhaust did not regenerate itself I live in southern ca when the message came on to drive highway speeds i was in bumper to bumper I have 46000 miles on it I love the car but i am starting to worry being a single mom the car is expensive mines a limited lux 2 package 4x4 I did purchase the 85000 mopar vehicle protection plan incorporated into my car payment which is hefty the jeep was my dream car now I am starting to worry the dealer is telling me because I went over 200 miles needing oil change that is why the exhaust did not regenerate and now trying not to cover does anyone know if the exhaust system is covered under the extended plan no one at the dealer is willing to help me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You should be covered- along with the fact of a potential 'software class action'. You might actually make out by hanging on to the vehicle until this is resolved. But- here are the California emission vehicle warranty requirements- which 'major components' are covered for 8 years - 80,000K miles:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

·
Registered
54 Posts
Help I have a 2014 JGC echodiesel I have taken it in to the dealer for the exhaust four times now first it was a software update 2. catalytic converter 3 particulate module sensor 4 now the exhaust did not regenerate itself I live in southern ca when the message came on to drive highway speeds i was in bumper to bumper I have 46000 miles on it I love the car but i am starting to worry being a single mom the car is expensive mines a limited lux 2 package 4x4 I did purchase the 85000 mopar vehicle protection plan incorporated into my car payment which is hefty the jeep was my dream car now I am starting to worry the dealer is telling me because I went over 200 miles needing oil change that is why the exhaust did not regenerate and now trying not to cover does anyone know if the exhaust system is covered under the extended plan no one at the dealer is willing to help me.
Wait...the dealer is telling you that because you are 200 miles over the suggested oil change interval is the reason your exhaust did not regenerate, and they are not going to cover this? Please tell me that is not what they are really claiming because that is ludicrous. I would suggested you take it to another dealer immediately. I agree with Brewster...even if emission laws don't cover it you should be covered under your extended care plan. I've gotten some alerts regarding regeneration that have caused my MIL to appear, but after a few days it seems it diagnoses and fixes itself...no more light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I purchased mine (also a 2014) I asked the salesman if people had encountered issues and he mentioned overheating when towing. I think I've seen other people report that if they downshift a few gears (keeping the revs higher) the engine cools down. I don't have any experience with this as I've never towed anything with mine, but I've also never had it overheat either. Has anyone else tried using the paddle shifters when towing and still had overheating problems? I may down the line want to get something to tow, but I'm leaning real heavy towards a Ram 2500 with a Cummins for that.
I've had no issues overheating towing 7000+ with my DGC, including hot SoCal summers at altitude. May get warm, but never overheated. It's all how you drive/shift/monitor the vehicle. I paddle shift to keep the RPMs in line. Follow the suggestions in this thread:
Nervous about overheating while towing ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014 Dodge Challenger, Charger, Durango, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator. In the affected vehicles, the alternator may suddenly fail.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts