Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Just had the safety recall work done on my '14 Grand Cherokee (Transmission Auto Park). Also told the dealership (again) about the poor fuel economy I have been getting since they did the fuel filters and new cat and O2 sensors. Been averaging between 25 to 25.8 mpg the lasts six months with 85% highway driving to work (20 miles one way). Before all the exhaust and fuel filter work was done (nothing wrong prior to that work, no codes), I was getting close to 30mpg, even in our harsh Maine winters.
They test drove the Jeep and the best they could do on their 15 mile test run was 26mpg. They said, "their isn t much we can do or look at, all of your software updates, are up to date". Im getting about 550 miles to a tank (at 1/8th full) where I was getting close to, and sometimes, over 700. I complained to the service manager there, showed him the work order that they did last time, he pretty much shrugged his shoulders. I asked if he had any complaints about the diesel Grand Cherokees and said no.
So I dont know what gives. I have babied it, buried my foot into it, towed several heavy loads with it, thinking I would "blow it all out", run with no load on the Turnpike at 65 mph (speed limit 70), and on a flat no hill road, still only get about 26 mpg. Hills that I used to take in 8th gear are now in taken in 7th, sometimes 6th!
I bought it for fuel economy and to tow our 5500lb camper. It struggles with that. I find my foot floored alot of times, to get up to 60 mph. It seldom goes into 8th gear when towing (only do 60mph) and usually stays in 6th or 7th (in Sport mode).
Although I never had any real issues with it, no DEF problems or Regen issues, I no longer like driving this vehicle. With our diesel prices increasing here in Maine (while Regular is going down again???), I am feeling no more love for my Jeep.
Just wanted to vent some. Dealer doesnt seem to care. I havent tried another one, maybe I should and might have more luck.
Lee

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got a 2014 and I, too, had the catalytic converter replaced (I have just about 31,500 miles on mine). I drove about 750 miles from Denver to Iowa after that work was done and I got close to 34 mpg going out and 30 mpg coming back (720 miles on a tank from Des Moines, Iowa to Brighton, CO). I didn't see any change in fuel economy after that work was done. Just another data point - I'm not trying to discount your feelings about your vehicle...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes- I just took 500 mile trip after getting new CAT about a month ago. Virtually no change in mileage- I showed 28.4 running at 75-80 mph with air on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts