Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery on a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel.

The AdBlue/Diesel Exhaust Fluid gauge level says it is at 50%.

I asked the salesperson why it wasn't at 100% and she said that it came that way from the factory.

Should it be 100%? What are your levels at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to this thread most people have similar amounts when they receive their JGC. Explanation seems to be that they don't want it freezing, expanding and breaking the filler neck, though I don't think there is any confirmation from Jeep on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed. Seems like virtually everyone is not full at delivery. It can be 100% full without worry about freezing. It does seem pretty dumb that Jeep is not delivering these 100% full. The stuff can be had from many local sources - Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. I got the Peak BlueDEF fluid, $15 for 2.5 gal IIRC. Just go slow filling it. Tank is ~8 gallons. My gauge didn't adjust as I was filling it, seemed to require a drive to get it to re-register. As you fill it though, you can hear it come up to the filler tube, is begins to sound different as it's going in, like it's beginning to fill a tube - don't know how else to say it. That is when I stopped, and the gauge ended up reading 100% full. The freezing issue is only a concern if you live where it'll be below 12F.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. Seems like virtually everyone is not full at delivery. It can be 100% full without worry about freezing. It does seem pretty dumb that Jeep is not delivering these 100% full. The stuff can be had from many local sources - Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. I got the Peak BlueDEF fluid, $15 for 2.5 gal IIRC. Just go slow filling it. Tank is ~8 gallons. My gauge didn't adjust as I was filling it, seemed to require a drive to get it to re-register. As you fill it though, you can hear it come up to the filler tube, is begins to sound different as it's going in, like it's beginning to fill a tube - don't know how else to say it. That is when I stopped, and the gauge ended up reading 100% full. The freezing issue is only a concern if you live where it'll be below 12F.
Thanks for the advice. I just saw that thread right after I posted mine! Ooops.

I bought some Peak DEF from Advance Autoparts and filled it. Gauge doesn't show that it was filled, so I'll see what happens when I drive. Thanks for the heads up there.

I asked the dealer to top off the DEF and they said 50% is how it comes from the manufacturer. I said, "Isn't it common courtesy to top off this necessary fluid?" They said I bargained too much off the sale and they wouldn't top it off because of that! Oh well, not going there for service then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts