Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Jeep guy for two and a half decades (starting with an '85 CJ7), and I plan to buy a new Jeep when I hand off the JKU to my son in a couple of years. The wife is looking at Cherokees, but my buddy sent me a couple of links about the safety and reliability issues. I figured I'd see what the current owners are saying about the Cherokee and GC.

I saw someone on this board repeat the common advice to never buy the first model year. While that seems to be borne out by the 2015 GC having fewer recalls than the 2014 so far, the latest investigation extends to the 2015: U.S. regulators upgrade, expand Fiat Chrysler gearshift probe

How bad are these problems, really? Would you recommend a GC or Cherokee to anyone, perhaps after a certain model year? How much would we be depending on the dealer to fix things after the fact?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been a Jeep guy for two and a half decades (starting with an '85 CJ7), and I plan to buy a new Jeep when I hand off the JKU to my son in a couple of years. The wife is looking at Cherokees, but my buddy sent me a couple of links about the safety and reliability issues. I figured I'd see what the current owners are saying about the Cherokee and GC.

I saw someone on this board repeat the common advice to never buy the first model year. While that seems to be borne out by the 2015 GC having fewer recalls than the 2014 so far, the latest investigation extends to the 2015: U.S. regulators upgrade, expand Fiat Chrysler gearshift probe

How bad are these problems, really? Would you recommend a GC or Cherokee to anyone, perhaps after a certain model year? How much would we be depending on the dealer to fix things after the fact?
2015 Purchased December 1 2015 4000 miles. Not one problem. MPG keeps getting better and better as motor breaks in. 90% highway driving. 28.7 mpg average since new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife drives a 2014 GC w/diesel engine the performance and mpg are excellent. the ride and roominess is great. the recalls are a PIA.
We have had a bad rear passenger coil spring which needed to be replaced shortly after we got it. none were in stock and had to wait over a month to get one into the dealership to have it installed. (thankfully we were able to continue driving while the wait).
Multiple recalls which have been irritating because it burns up a day just to have the dealership take care of the recall.
and last most irritating to me is trying to fine the the Oil spec'd in the owners manual.
The only place you can find it is either online or at the dealership.
With the vehicle is still "in warranty" I want to use the spec oil until it runs out.
Pennzoil Euro L - Full Synthetic - Dexos 2 - specially formulated for Diesel Engines.
Napa - pep boys- auto zone- etc..etc..etc... - Walmart - have never heard of it. But you can find it at the Dealership.
Lets not talk about the Fuel Filters, Air Filters, and Oil Filters. That is another SAFARI.
Its a 2014 it is 2016 You would think these part would have become readily available by now????
But like I said the vehicle drives good. Looks good. Great MPG. Great roominess for a small vehicle especially on long drives.
If I have to start paying for problems then I will become very upset especially since I purchased the vehicle for the longevity of a diesel engine.
only time will tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Other than the two issues listed below, my 18 month old 2014 JGC diesel, with 27k miles is the best SUV I've ever had. I'm hoping it's just a couple of bad parts and that is it.

1. At 18k I got an "incorrect DEF detected - Turns out it was a software malfunction - Result was software update and a new CAT installed. Software bug destroyed the CAT

2. At 27k the Jeep just stalled accelerating to 5 mph and would not start. Towed to the nearest dealer and took a week for them to look at it. Turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump failed. Result - Replacing the entire fuel system including pump, injectors, filters, lines and possibly tank due to metal particles all through the system.

At this writing the car is still in the shop and am in a waiting mode. I'm hoping this is it. I really love this car..But one more strike and I'm out

Update 3-22-16 Got the Jeep back after a month and 3 days.. So happy to have her back.
Fingers crossed

·
Registered
7 Posts
28k on 2014 Diesel Overland 4x4 and no problems to date. Keeping fingers crossed with DEF or CAT issues based on issues I read in here. I love this thing except when placing air suspension in highest setting it makes a loud clunk sound from all corners when hitting small bumps/rocks. Dealer says that's normal as its at the max limit of suspension... Sounds like BS but it's still working and just scares all passengers that it's going to break and leave us stranded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought Jeep Certified used GC 2014 Summit Diesel with 4800miles in May 16. It is running well but check engine light has come on twice and had to be taken to the dealership. They suggested that the MIL was because of incorrect sensor reading and they installed a software update to fix the problem. Reading through all the horror stories about GC Diesel has me concerned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you look- lately everything is generally 'quiet'. Looks like all the 'teething' problems of '1st year of production vehicle' have been finally addressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2014 Diesel Overland (27000) is my 3rd GC in 12 Years, '04 straight 6 Laredo, '07 V8 LTD and now this, by far my favorite! You can't beat the ride, mileage, towing and off road capability. If your going to use it as a shopping cart in the suburbs there are other good alternatives but if you are going to tow a boat, drive out on the beach for some surf casting or hit the mountain trails in the winter you just can't beat this vehicle.

Other vehicles I considered and test drove before making this purchase were the Diesel Porsche Cayenne, Diesel BMW X5 and Range Rover Sport. I prefered the Jeep based on the trade off between the cost, highway performance and off-road capabilities.

I've been fortunate that I've had no issues with the DEF or CAT, but the dealer did replace the CAT at 20,000 under recall during a regular service, it took two days, resulting in a loud rattle from the exhaust at idle that needed to be fixed with another visit; Other than that it's great on long highway trips, see my recent post PA, OH, NY in one day, 1 tank. I have towed a 6,500 lb. 26' catamaran from Portsmith RI to the North Shore of MA getting 14 MPG and it peformed flawlessly, and I've driven miles off road on loose wet sand, gravel, and on mountain fire trails with absolutely no issues.

I've been reading about the gear shift recall and I guess I'll get the update. I'm always careful to check that I'm in Park and have a habit of setting the parking brake even when it's -20. I'm a little concerned that the fix seems to indicate that if you open the drivers door in neutral the Trans shifts to Park, what if you need to winch it out of a hole or onto a flatbed? Maybe the N on the quadra drive selector will still disengage the tranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got 2014 summit with 40000, so far no problems, but recently I noticed more than usual engine noise and I have feeling like active engine braking is always on, is anybody has this issues? But overall I love this car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2016 GC Summit 4x4 ecodiesel, purchased (currently 9008 miles) late 10/2016 and may be one of the last 2016's ecodiesel's built and running on factory Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5W-40. No recalls or software updates to date. Highway fuel economy is still approximately 30mpg. I also have the full extended, 8yr/120K factory warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Other than the two issues listed below, my 18 month old 2014 JGC diesel, with 27k miles is the best SUV I've ever had. I'm hoping it's just a couple of bad parts and that is it.

1. At 18k I got an "incorrect DEF detected - Turns out it was a software malfunction - Result was software update and a new CAT installed. Software bug destroyed the CAT

2. At 27k the Jeep just stalled accelerating to 5 mph and would not start. Towed to the nearest dealer and took a week for them to look at it. Turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump failed. Result - Replacing the entire fuel system including pump, injectors, filters, lines and possibly tank due to metal particles all through the system.

At this writing the car is still in the shop and am in a waiting mode. I'm hoping this is it. I really love this car..But one more strike and I'm out

Update 3-22-16 Got the Jeep back after a month and 3 days.. So happy to have her back.
Fingers crossed

Update?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts