Diesel Jeep Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Before anyone suggests that it doesn't. Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 DOES meet the spec.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
  • BMW Longlife 04
  • MB-Approval 229.31
  • MB-Approval 229.51
  • Volkswagen (Gasoline/Diesel) 504 00/507 00
  • Porsche C30
  • Chrysler MS-11106
  • Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290/B71 2297
  • AVTOVAZ LADA cars
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
  • ACEA C2, C3
  • API (Meets Engine Test Requirements) SM/SN
  • JASO DL-1
  • AAE (STO 003) Group B6

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Technically, a dealer *can* deny your warranty for anything - and this attitude varies across dealer shops. The question is, is it worth fighting it? The law generally says that if you mod something, anything "down stream" that is affected by your mod might be subject to a dealer denying the warranty on those items. In many case, the law is on your side (for instance, if they deny your warranty to your Uconnect after you add an exhaust - the two are not connected and the modification of one doesn't affect the other. Law says they cannot do that. But you might have to take them to court to prove it.) The big thing with aftermarket intakes is 1. That is the FIRST thing they see when they pop the hood - and it starts off the warranty negotiations on the wrong foot, and 2. Modding the first component of the entire engine system technically puts everything else behind it at risk. Say the intake is an extremely low quality version (or is not installed properly) and lets in all sorts of dirt particles, which grenades the turbo, sending bits and pieces into the engine. That engine is toast - and you prob will not be able to get it fixed under warranty. They will fix it, but you will have to foot the bill. So in many cases, a decent manufacturer offers their own warranty to supplement the potential loss of warranty by installing their part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just looked at the Mobil 1 ESP at my local car part shop and sure enough, it doesn't say it is compliant with MS-11106, So I guess that settles it. Go with Pennzoil Ultra Euro L to be completely worry free.
Found this on the Mobil1 site: I'm going to give it a shot.
upload_2015-8-1_12-4-7.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine internals and Turbo upgrades

Upgraded intercooler and piping
Pros: Lower charge temps = more power; greater overall efficiency
Cons: Blocks greater area of radiator; pipes might separate and lead to boost leak

Hayasa do you have a link to these boost pipes and intercooler? Or at least a size 2.5"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, I thank you, Hayasa, for putting this list together. I've just traded in my Wrangler for an diesel Summit, and I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Second, a bit of clarification. There is no statutory law (law written as out by a government entity) regarding specifically the implementation of a warranty in a modified car. The only statutory law that applies is standard contract law. There is substantial case law (the results of cases that implies the interpretation and application of statutory law) to indicate that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty, unless they can substantially prove that a specific modification contributed to a specific defect/failure. That said, you are completely correct in suggesting that the only way to enforce this would be to take a dealer to court after they denied you service under your warranty contract.

By the way - the above would apply for oil as well. And I think it would be extremely difficult for a dealer to prove what brand of oil you have in your engine. Anyway, Mobil does now list the MS-11106 builder approval on their website. I think that's as good as having it on the box, but I'm sure there's a Tommy Boy joke to be made here...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks - I don't check this forum too often but glad to see people are making use of it. I just updated it with the latest flashes and tuning boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
has anyone confirmed if using these plug-in "power adders" that the information is stored by the vehicles computer even after the "power adders" has been removed?

This is some literature regarding these in the owners manual/diesel supplement

NOTE: Some aftermarket products may cause severe
engine/transmission and/or exhaust system damage.
Your vehicle’s Powertrain Control Systems can detect
and store information about vehicle modifications that
increase horsepower and torque output such as whether
or not performance-enhancing powertrain components,
commonly referred to as downloaders, power boxes, or
performance chips have been used.
This information cannot be erased and will stay in the
system’s memory even if the modification is removed.
This information can be retrieved by FCA US LLC, and
service and repair facilities, when servicing your vehicle.
This information may be used to determine if repair will
be covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, but A. someone has to be looking for it, meaning a dealer has to run a scan diagnostic and he/she will notice a checksum is incorrect, or B. the dealer will notice that certain setting will be all out of whack, like peak boost will be higher or max injector duration will be larger. And yes, technically messing with the ECU could be grounds to void your warranty, especially if whatever went wrong was powertrain-related. But no guts, no glory!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the car sounds like its time to break out the catch can from my old 07 MS6. I got in the habit of draining after parking it in the garage at the end of the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone swap their intercooler (turbo) silencer located direct center front of the motor? I have photos but can’t manage to upload.
It’s the 12” plastic pipe with baffles.

AFE is currently working on that addition to their CAI kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, not sure if anyone comes here anymore.. I am looking for a turbo upgrade, not seeing anything for the GC just the ram.. espos diesel did one a couple years ago.. a compound.. but that was the only one I saw.. anyone have any insight on this?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts