Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've had an interesting experience with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel and I'd like to hear your thoughts, advice and opinions.

I bought the Jeep in 2018 with 78k miles. It had a clean history with with a single prior owner. When I hit 89k miles my engine failed. The local Jeep dealer replaced the engine under the original warranty. They also told me coolant was leaking from the radiator and advised I replace it, so I went ahead with that and paid out of pocket.

About 500 miles later the strong odor of diesel fuel was evident while driving it one day and smoke was coming from the exhaust. I took it to the closest Jeep dealer, which was a different shop than where the engine was replaced. They said the cylinder #3 fuel return line was missing a retaining clip so that's what was causing the fuel leak and smoking. They installed a new clip and cleaned the engine and undercarriage as best they could. They didn't charge me for the repair and worked it out with the Jeep dealer that replaced the engine.

Back in March 2020 when I hit 118k miles I noticed a loss of power, loss of cabin heat and the display read "Engine coolant over temp". I took it to the closest Jeep dealer (a third Jeep shop) and they replaced the coolant bypass hose and said that was the problem. I paid $898. Then in June 2020 at 121k miles I got the same message again "Engine coolant over temp". I took it back to the same shop that replaced the coolant bypass hose. They told me I should replace the upper and lower radiator hoses so I went ahead and had them do that repair. I paid $696. They also said they tech noticed signs of dried fluid that could indicate a leak from the EGR Cooler, and they quoted my a $1,300 cost for that repair. I declined and decided to wait and see.

Today at 122k miles I'm hearing a liquid sloshing sound coming from underneath the left side of the dashboard and after a longer drive there was definitely fluid leaking underneath the Jeep. I have a couple of questions:
  • Do you think the EGR Cooler repair will the the last of this problem? I've already replaced the radiator and three different hoses and it seems like I'm bound to keep dumping money playing whac-a-mole with these leaks.
  • Have you seen or heard of similar experiences for other owners with this problem?
  • The leaking fuel return line alarms me: Could the radiator replacement back at 89k miles have been done poorly causing the inevitability of coolant leaking problems down the road?
  • How would you proceed if this was your Jeep?
Thanks for taking the time to read my experience and offer your thoughts. I appreciate this forum and the community here. I'm happy to answer any other questions or provide more details if that's helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't answer how I'd proceed, but I had a coolant leak in my 2014 Jeep Limited EcoD. It led to limp mode and an overhaul of the coolant system. Thankfully, I had it covered under an extended warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts