Diesel Jeep Forum banner

DEF consumption rates?

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bogeyman2B 
#1 ·
I'm curious to know what others are seeing for their Diesel Exhaust Fluid consumption rates. I've got just shy of 3400 miles since I bought it and was filled by dealer and I'm at 50% already. Jeep claims about 10K, aligning with the service interval. Obviously I'm not going to get anywhere near that at this rate. I bought fluid just in case, but how are others fairing?

I do about 110 miles, almost exclusively highway everyday. Combined MPG has been great, given that it's winter time, between low of 28 and high of 31 when we had warm stretch. I have a 2014 JGC Summit 4x4.

I have been using anti-gel additive, never heard of that causing problems with DEF.

#2 ·
Chances are that your dealer didn't completely fill the DEF tank as their service bulletins advise them not to do so. Jeep says that DEF consumption will increase when towing or under harder acceleration so it's safe to say this will vary by individual driving habits and vehicle use.

The diesel supplement manual states that if you live in a cold weather climate you should be using climatized No 2 diesel, or a 50-50 mix of No 2 and No 1. It states that with proper fuel and cold weather practices that fuel additives are not necessary. They don't say that you can't use them other than to avoid using anything alcohol based. They state that a cetane boosting additive will help with cold weather starting and better fuel ignition.

Nothing should be added to the DEF tank other than DEF itself.

DEF is injected into the exhaust stream after fuel combustion so it's unlikely that any fuel additive would impact DEF consumption.

#3 ·
I will be surprised if I get 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. Apparently DEF usage is determined by rpm and not miles so the more time you spend idling or in lower gears the more DEF you use per mile driven. But it should still fall in the 1 gal per 50 of diesel which I do. Towing a trailer in the summer and cold starts with short trips in the winter I am destined for extensive idling and lower gears. But don't care. In the overall scheme of things the extra 50 dollars or so per 10000 miles doesn't mean much.

#4 ·
Total miles on my GC Limited 4X4 is 1500 mile. DEF was at 100% with 21 miles now at 88%. Thats 12% for 1500 miles highway driving. Predict little more than 12000 miles for total available DEF. Not sure how many gallons in the DEF tank. Does anyone know?

Just completed a trip from LA to the Grand Canyon and back. 1200 miles at 30 mpg driving 70 to 75 MPH. It real loves 70 MPH at about 1900 rpm. No lugging or down shifting while climbing to 7000 ft. She just purred along passing all those gas vehicles. 15 cents difference in CA, Gas vs Diesel, 30 cents difference in Arizona.

Not happy with the NAV. Keyboard lock out when moving does anyone know any way to disable feature? Points of Interest search very limited without use of keyboard. Copilot (wife) would really like to look for POIs during driving.

#5 ·
8 is the number I keep seeing. Perhaps a little more if you top off. Mine loves 70 And the needle on the speedo points straight ahead at that speed...but my DEF meter is erratic and I figure plus or minus 5%. The price of gas here went down and diesel went up although that trend has recently shifted. The station across from my shop had a 80 cent spread from regular. But driving around town is what I keep my Prius for and it burns regular and gets 45mpg. And I prefer to use my smart phone for NAV.

#6 ·
Chances are that your dealer didn't completely fill the DEF tank as their service bulletins advise them not to do so. Jeep says that DEF consumption will increase when towing or under harder acceleration so it's safe to say this will vary by individual driving habits and vehicle use.

The diesel supplement manual states that if you live in a cold weather climate you should be using climatized No 2 diesel, or a 50-50 mix of No 2 and No 1. It states that with proper fuel and cold weather practices that fuel additives are not necessary. They don't say that you can't use them other than to avoid using anything alcohol based. They state that a cetane boosting additive will help with cold weather starting and better fuel ignition.

Nothing should be added to the DEF tank other than DEF itself.

DEF is injected into the exhaust stream after fuel combustion so it's unlikely that any fuel additive would impact DEF consumption.
Thanks, well per the gauge is was 100% when I picked it up. I drive mostly highway cruising below 2K RPM.

Re: Winter mix. The reason I still add the anti-gel is no one posts what the mix is on the pumps. I've seen "winter blend" be listed to from 10 to -10. So I add the additive just to be on safe side. I live in NH, and it's been pretty cold this winter. The quality of diesel appears to vary so much, I was mostly concerned about the gelling of the fuel vs. increased cetane or other claimed improvements on various additives.

Yes, DEF is added after combustion, but the gel too is burned, so its could have some effect on it. I agree it's unlikely, but saved the follow up question, do I use additives.

The dealer did say not to fill it up in the summer, as it will evaporate.

Thanks again.

Don

#8 ·
Just had ours serviced for the first time.
Dealer added the only 5 gallons they had and we are around 60%.
Dealer did not know until I check another diesel forum...we were both stunned it was 8 gallons.
It appears I will be filling that tank with every oil change...guessing the industry standard of "LOF" is now LOFD8???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.