Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much Diesel Emissions Fluid was in the vehicle when you purchased it?

My son just picked up a new 2014 and it shows about 50%, vehicle was manufactured 11- 2013 and had 39 miles on it

I would expect it to come with about 80to 90% full.

We read in to owners manual not to fill it 100% in cold climates that the DEF will freeze/expand, and it has dropped into the 20 this past week in the NYC area

·
Registered
164 Posts
Probably just enough to get to first oil change......
How much Diesel Emissions Fluid was in the vehicle when you purchased it?

My son just picked up a new 2014 and it shows about 50%, vehicle was manufactured 11- 2013 and had 39 miles on it

I would expect it to come with about 80to 90% full.

We read in to owners manual not to fill it 100% in cold climates that the DEF will freeze/expand, and it has dropped into the 20 this past week in the NYC area

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was just talking to a customer of mine who had brought in some shirts to be embroidered. This customer manufactures DEF. To make a long story short DEF is effected by both extreme heat and extreme cold. So I think keeping just enough to get you to the next oil change plus a couple hundred miles might not be a bad idea. The stuff is Powdered urea mixed with medical grade water. He told me if you smell ammonia the stuff is getting old. He told lots me more but left me with the conclusion that you should not put 10 years supply in a shed with no environmental controls. Basically treat it the same way you would paint, or a cheap wine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm gonna say mine (in Toronto) came with barely enough, maybe half full, and maybe even a quarter tank of gas. Now at 3700 KM, it needs DEF, only enough for another 500 km, so I have to get it this week or I'll be stuck @ X-mas. Seems to me for the price, everything should be topped up when you buy it new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine came with just over 50%.
I waited until it got below half and put 2.5 gal box from AdvancedAuto for $15. It went to >75%.
DEF at truck stops was similairly priced in box and at the pump. Curious what dealer will charge per gallon at first service.

I went on a 1900 mile trip, put another 2.5 gallon in, drove some more and it is still over 50%.

Found article claiming tank is 8gal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So as I said in my last posting mine didn't have much in it at delivery, and the indicator the other day (in -minus 18 celsius weather) said I needed some, so only one dealership had it in Toronto. When I went in they have no clue how much I needed to buy (no service tech had any idea, the owners manual didn't indicate either), but each jug is about 2.5 gallons (9 litres), so since the temp went backup to about -4 celsius it was no longer alerting with only 500km left of travel. They thought since the Ram took about 5 Gallons, the Jeep would be the same, but a jug only filled it up to just about 30%, so it probably takes 2 1/4 to 2 1/5 jugs to fill it up, taking into account expansion (hot weather) or contraction (cold weather). The jug cost about $36 Canadian with taxes and this dealer said they'd top it up under warranty and give me a free jug (since I bought one yesterday). I thought I saw it for $15-25 on U.S. websites, some with free delivery, some not wanting to mail or courier fluids.

The following site says 8 gallons of DEF - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel - Diesel Power Magazine

·
Registered
45 Posts
The tank is easy to see just ahead of the rear hitch. I believe the 8 gallon size based on the size of the tank.

Your comments about the dealer having no clue about it is exactly why I didn't give two shats about sourcing the DEF on my own and filling it myself. I kind of figured the regular dealers would have no clue how to deal with a diesel given how few are on the road. If I can find one that deals with the trucks alot, I might have a bit more confidence.

I will say that the gauge did not register right away after I filled it. I had to drive it a bit, maybe get it to reset or something, and then it read full. The reason to not overfill it is because DEF will freeze at something like 12F, and if it freezes in the filler tube I guess it can crack the tube. The tank is steel (pretty heavy gauge it seems from just tapping on the tank) so the weak spot is the plastic filler tube for sure. I topped mine off at about 300 miles; it's got about 1600 on it now and is reading about 75% full. I somehow doubt it's going to get me to the 10k miles they state in the manual for DEF refill intervals.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Final Inspection
This multi-phase production stage includes post-assembly inspection, final accessory installation and shipment preparation of your vehiclesion

I have come to the conclusion that DEF tanks are added during the Final Inspection Phase. And I also think that like the first batch of diesels that were held up for so long because DEF tanks were on back order, they might be again. My Limited has been in Final Inspection for over a week. The Installation kits probably include two 2.5 gal containers of DEF a tank and whatever mounting hardware needed. Three would be too much and one not enough. I understand I am making this up as I go along..... But it works for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my jeep and the next day after picking it up it was right back to the dealer, it has been sitting in the dealer service department for an entire week with engineers from Chrysler all over it. As soon as they tell me what's wrong I will post the info so anyone else picking one will know the warning signs to look for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh yeah when I pick mine truck from the dealer they had to order 7 additional gallons of def fluid to make sure it was full. Just so everyone it is completely and one hundred percent the dealers responsibility to make sure that the def fluid is full and topped off

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know how gallons of fluid the jeeps def tank holds and where do you guys find the amount fluid left or gauge on the jeeps information center

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had just below 50% when I picked it up. Questioned the dealer and they said it shoould have been filled. They then filled it up for me before I left. I have 700 miles on it and the DEF is reading just above 3/4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We picked up our Jeep on December 3rd and honestly it didn't occur to me to check the fluid. Now on the way home tonight at 2700 miles, a message flashed on the screen saying the engine wouldn't restart in 500 miles if the fluid was not filled. Luckily our dealer is going to take care of it for us tomorrow. (Being married to a Chrysler executive helps haha)

I did find the fluid at AutoZone for 4.99/gallon though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was 50% when delivered. The dealer gave me 2 gal on delivery because thats all they had. i put that in and it reads a little over 75% im thinking of waiting a little while to put more in. Anyone know what the shelf life is on this stuff?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends on the temp it's stored at. The higher the temp, the more the urea degrades.

This is from a dealer TSB...

32°F (0°C) Indefinite
50°F (10°C) 75 Years
68°F (20°C) 11 Years
86°F (30°C) 23 Months
95°F (35°C) 10 Months
104°F (40°C) 4 Months
122°F (50°C) 1 Month
140°F (60°C) 1 Week

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got new summit diesel
800 miles light goes on bring to dealer within 80 miles because after that engine will not restart
Now its a week for parts from 3 different vendors and new wiring
I am very worried about this diesel engine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts