Diesel Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a used 2016 Grand Cherokee diesel. At 63K miles, I had a message poping up "Diesel Exhaust Filter is 100% Full, the car is loosing torque and barely accelerate. I have done a quick research, I found that ,this is a common problem in diesel engine equiped with this sophisticated emission systems. The issue can be explained due to not enough or incomplete regenerttion cycle due to ciy driving or not long highway travel. My question, if anyone had this issue and is it covered udner the federal emission warranty stated in the manual. Since the vehicle suppose to be covered up to 80K miles per the owner's manual, is this will be the case for my issue. I'm heading tomorrow to drop off the vehicle to the dealer and all hopes it is covered udner the limited warranty. any thoughts. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, my visit to my dealer was a waste of time and huge disappointment. The service manager did not seem to be familiar with the issue nor show a sense of confidence to make me leave my car in his hands. Additionally, he did not have a loaner vehicle other than the maintenance cargo van. So I left, I did call though Jeep care customer . They provided me list of emission components covered under warranty. Initially, he indicated it's a maintenance issue because , this filter will need to be replaced frequently. I responded, this is a self cleaning system, and you would not need to service it. Then he immediately stated, "It is covered under warranty, your dealer should be able to diagnose it and tell you." I'm calling around Jeep dealers in my area to check if they have a diesel mechanic before I set an appointment. My other option is to check with any of those diesel truck service centers. My friend owns a trucking company and advised, those are far better knowledgable with these new diesel engines and should be able to fix this issue. Thanks GM for your response, I will try the long haul drive tonight once traffic eases a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Following up to my last post, I went to another Jeep dealer in my area. The service advisor is well knowledgable and can be trusted. After diagnosing the car, he stated a manual regeneration needs to be forced. It will cost $278 dollars. As a result, the engine oil has to be changed which will cost an additional $169. However, he also said, there is a possibility the DPF may get damaged after / during a manual regeneration. According to him , DPF replacement is costly and can be well above $8,000. !! " THANKS CHRYSLER "
Anyway, I authorized the repair. I have no option but to proceed. In the meantime, while waiting I made a phone call to FCA customer care. Surprisingly this time, the gentleman who answered the phone, declined any coverage as a result of exhaust filters being full. He also stated, the warranty only covers catalytic convertor components. Filters are not part of it. It was already three hours have gone since I brought the car in at the dealer , so I gave up and I decided to authorize the repair and roll the dice hoping the DPF won't get damaged during / after the process of manual regeneration. I will update once repair is completed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just passed 93000 miles and I drive in Vegas. Not too many long hauls since I sold the boat. DPF light came on, dealer attempted forced regen. No luck. Just authorized $3100 for new filter and labor.

Had the catalytic converter replaced at 20k under warranty, followed by computer recall, auto park recall, airbag recall and potential emissions fraud recall. I really enjoy this vehicle and the reliability of diesels. Does anyone know if the GC diesel will be making a comeback in 2019. I heard Wranglers would be diesel option in 19. I will trade this one in and buy one with the bugs worked out.
------------------------------------------------
In my last visit to the dealership, the service manager told me they will be coming out with GC diesesl in 2019. But he doesn't think it will a different engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Jeep is back to the dealer’s shop. This time because of a check engine light and error message “service electronic throttle control”. There was no warning or anything , just the car begun to go into limp mode. Dealer called me yesterday and said” still checking. Few codes showed up indicates turbo issues, we need to check with Chrysler before doing anything or rule out turbos. “. I’m sharing my experience in this forum hoping someone is listening and will help at least address these issues in newer models. I love this car and I see myself driving it for years and 100 of thousands of miles to come.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts