Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2014 Grand Cherokee DEF tank was 1/2 full when I picked it up. Not sure the dealer even knew to check. I have 4000 miles now and I am guessing I getting 1000 to 1200 miles out of a gallon of DEF. That fits the 10,000 mile scenario out of a full tank fairly well. I am using the Peak Blue DEF from the parts store. Like the other post it is $15.00 per 2.5 gallons.
Walmart has it for $10.85

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone,

We just purchased a new 2014 Ecodiesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had some very cold days and my wife would let the jeep warm up 5-10 min before driving it. Since this is my wife's car she never looked at the DEF gauge. To be honest, I never look at the gauge on delivery of the Jeep. I drove it 4 days later and to my surprise the gauge showed 45% left after only 210 miles total. My concern is we called the Crystal lake, IL Jeep dealer and asked if they would look at the Jeep because I didn't think this was normal or it may have been an honest mistake and they may have forgotten to top it off. To not draw out the story, the GM George was very rude and condescending to both me and my wife and offered to give us 1 or 2 gallons for free. Saying we should read our manual and this was normal. Even though the manual shows that fill up is needed every 10,000 miles.

My questions to everyone:

- How long is the DEF fluid lasting for people?
- Is the GM correct in saying all the extra idling caused the fluid to drop so drastically?

Last note for all our Jeep sisters and brothers- I would never recommend purchasing a Jeep from Chrystal lake, IL Jeep after my experience.
My indicator was showing 20% at 4500 miles. JAH SR

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have 5100 miles on mine, and my DEF still shows 75% full. I haven't filled it since I bought it. The dealership filled the tank completely and that's the last time it has been touched.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Walmart has it for $10.85
I think I'll stick to the Mopar stuff during the warranty period. I like having my DEF purchase on record at the dealership. Small price to pay for peace of mind and a leg to stand on if there is ever a problem. But I also get a gas receipt at every fill-up and jot the mileage on the receipt. Maybe a bit paranoid, but I'm new to theworld of diesel and these vehicles are definitely new to many Jeep service depts. I like to have my bases covered.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just turned 8000 miles and it indicated slightly over 1/4 left. I always remote start it, maybe 60/40 city highway and it runs for 30 seconds before and after to stabilize the turbo in the winter so there is some extra idle in the mix.

Mine was delivered half full too but when I brought the MOPAR diesel pamphlet to the dealer and showed them where it states the DEF tank is to be full at delivery they topped it off without issue.

Bring it up to 3/4 at your oil change and you will not have to worry about it until the next oil change.

I tried to post a photo or a link of the page saying it is to be delivered full but I was not able to post a photo and the link would not post so I can't help with that.

This forum must have some high spam settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the latest techniques used to clean up diesel emissions is known as selective catalytic reduction (SCR). A liquid is used to treat exhaust gases and remove harmful pollutants, including nitrogen oxides (NOx), of which nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is the most harmful.
The fluid used in most vehicles is known as AdBlue, a registered trademark owned by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), which ensures standards are maintained. The fluid is stored in a tank in the car, but unlike petrol or diesel it is not injected into the engine; instead it is fed into part of the vehicle’s exhaust. A chemical reaction converts the harmful NOx exhaust gases into harmless nitrogen and water.
If you are looking to buy AdBlue in South Africa:
With the wide variety of options available in the market for buying AdBlue I was really very confused with the choice to make regarding the best AdBlue in South Africa, then I got to know about Airnox Pty Ltd, these are the best at what they do, I would highly recommend buy AdBlue from Airnox.
I got AdBlue refueld for my truck from Airnox and I have to say that it was Great - works perfectly. Really slow to empty though, It only needs a small hole really, but be careful as the bottle's really strong. Now my vehicle is running smooth with no problems, you must also once take service from them, Overall I am very satisfied with my experience at Airnox.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is an old thread but with the Jeep GC DEF issues, especially on the 2014 (which I had and was bought back), you are best to use what is specified to avoid issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
28 years as diesel mechanic , Warning DEF has a short self life... 2.5 gal is going to be unstalle before you need a refill.. you have no clue the state there supply.. clean this filter system$$$ So re fill before needed.. I also recommend subscription to " Turbo Diesel Register" $35.00 Per year. Member since1964 when i bought my First new Ram p/u 800+++ mi not need in my work, to many veh.in drive, sold it , bought a 2004 5 yrs .ago with on 295 k on it still a member. 122 pages this month. You can visit web site " WWW.turbodieselregister.com " also visit Geno's Garage for parts . every thing cummins/jeep . written by enginers/ trade school instructors ect.ect. Oh not a speller and don't care but am good at what do!! 🧐

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sold my 2015 GC Eco last year after a second set of fuel pumps were needed. Fortunately the extended warranty covered them.
I never had a DEF issue with my 2014 or 2015 GC. DEF does have a shelf life as mentioned above but it is affected by storage temperature. I only filled my tank to 1/2-3/4 and used truck stop bulk DEF. It's stored underground and always below 60 degrees F.
By not filling it up you will have a higher turnover rate which will additionally aid keeping it fresh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
28 years as diesel mechanic , Warning DEF has a short self life... 2.5 gal is going to be unstalle before you need a refill.. you have no clue the state there supply.. clean this filter system$$$ So re fill before needed.. I also recommend subscription to " Turbo Diesel Register" $35.00 Per year. Member since1964 when i bought my First new Ram p/u 800+++ mi not need in my work, to many veh.in drive, sold it , bought a 2004 5 yrs .ago with on 295 k on it still a member. 122 pages this month. You can visit web site " WWW.turbodieselregister.com " also visit Geno's Garage for parts . every thing cummins/jeep . written by enginers/ trade school instructors ect.ect. Oh not a speller and don't care but am good at what do!! 🧐
Where is the def guage in the 2014

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Overland and its DEF gauge ( yeah... know indicator) is stuck at 3/4 full... I can put 3 gallons in and its shows full. But then after months it never goes below 3/4.. ANY others have this issue?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts