Diesel Jeep Forum banner

Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF - Questions on usage

81K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  tdnHuntley 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

We just purchased a new 2014 Ecodiesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had some very cold days and my wife would let the jeep warm up 5-10 min before driving it. Since this is my wife's car she never looked at the DEF gauge. To be honest, I never look at the gauge on delivery of the Jeep. I drove it 4 days later and to my surprise the gauge showed 45% left after only 210 miles total. My concern is we called the Crystal lake, IL Jeep dealer and asked if they would look at the Jeep because I didn't think this was normal or it may have been an honest mistake and they may have forgotten to top it off. To not draw out the story, the GM George was very rude and condescending to both me and my wife and offered to give us 1 or 2 gallons for free. Saying we should read our manual and this was normal. Even though the manual shows that fill up is needed every 10,000 miles.

My questions to everyone:

- How long is the DEF fluid lasting for people?
- Is the GM correct in saying all the extra idling caused the fluid to drop so drastically?

Last note for all our Jeep sisters and brothers- I would never recommend purchasing a Jeep from Chrystal lake, IL Jeep after my experience.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Based on what others have said out here (which I agree with) a new vehicle is supposed to have all fluid levels checked and topped off. That includes the DEF tank. That is part of new vehicle delivery prep which you're already paying for.

There's no way your wife used +50% of DEF merely by letting the vehicle idle and warm up. You're dealer is full of crap if he's telling you this is "normal"... he just won't admit that they "forgot" to top off the DEF tank prior to you taking delivery. Since they also sell Ram trucks there it's not like they don't know anything about diesel-equipped vehicles.

Look at it this way... if the manual says the DEF should last approximately X miles before it needs to be refilled, wouldn't it stand to reason that the time a vehicle spends idling during those X miles isn't taken into consideration?

#3 · (Edited)
I should be receiving mine this week and I expect aprox 5 gallons of DEF to be in it. I believe the vehicle runs on a 49/1 mix diesel/DEf. So the question would be how many gallons of diesel have you used and not how many miles you have gone. My wife warms our car for upwards to 15 min before we take a 10 min ride to work. I go through a lot of gas in the winter because of that. I thinking maybe the heated seats and steering wheel will cut back on that. But probably not. On the brighter side an idling diesel is supposed to use 30% less fuel than a idling gas engine.

#4 ·
I added DEF at 5000 miles, when the gauge was less than 1/4. I think the manual says the 8 gallon tank of DEF should last about 6000 miles.

So it appears your dealer did not fill it, and no one check the gauge.

These Jeeps are very new and different to most sales people and service at dealerships. I had the dealer get me the block heater cable, just $60. But it took Jeep service 3 hours to figure out where to plug it in, and how to route the wire.

#5 ·
First post so forgive me.

I have driven Class A diesel trucks for a good long while. Got out of driving due to vision issues a few years back before DEF was around.

You have to be careful when you get a new diesel vehicle that the dealers are not up to speed with. This sounds like a classic case of that. Most likely the dealership has no tank of DEF kicking around so they have to buy it from a parts store. Most parts stores are starting to sell this over the counter and it would be a good thing to have some of your own in the garage just in case.

In most cases, these vehicles will go into limp mode if they don't have DEF in their tank. Some may not even start due to the tank being empty.

I am starting to look for one of these Jeeps now. I currently own a Diesel Golf TDI which I love, but would like the comfort of a larger vehicle. The VW's have had issues with customers and service stations adding the wrong fuel to their vehicle. One wrong fuel up in one of the VW's and it will trash the fuel system to the tune of well over $6K. I double and triple check the nozzle and pump before I begin pumping FUEL.

#6 ·
Alot of truck stops like Flying J are advertising selling DEF from a pump at a savings to buying the bottles.

#7 ·
I do know most Auto Parts stores carry DEF Fluid. AZ (Parts Store) carries the DEF Blue in 2.5 gallon containers and is currently $14.99. It goes on sale like every other month for like $12.99. The problem I see with this size is adding it to the vehicle. A 2.5 gallons of this stuff is not lite weight and getting the spout into the hole and keeping it there could be a problem. I don't have this problem YET but I'll think up something when the time comes.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for the help. I did get confirmation from a Diesel tech at Jeep. Chrysler delivers the diesel Grand Cherokees to the dealer with only half a tank of DEF. It is the dealers responsibility to top it off on delivery. Further more, on average this should last you 10K miles depending on use.

After complaining about this to Chrysler, I did get a call back from Sal the Service manager at that location we purchased the jeep from, stating that he apologized and this was incorrect and George was not a GM. (Even though he stated this multiple times on the phone) We went to a different dealer. Gurnee Dodge stepped up and filled our DEF for free. Going forward, they well have all of my business.

#19 · (Edited)
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland: My owners manual does not mention DEF at all and when scrolling through the "Vehicle Information" menu it does not have the DEF level guage. :confused: Does Jeep do different spec'ed vehicles for export? In South Africa our emmisions control are not as stringent as in the US or Europe, could this be the reason?

#13 ·
My 2014 Grand Cherokee DEF tank was 1/2 full when I picked it up. Not sure the dealer even knew to check. I have 4000 miles now and I am guessing I getting 1000 to 1200 miles out of a gallon of DEF. That fits the 10,000 mile scenario out of a full tank fairly well. I am using the Peak Blue DEF from the parts store. Like the other post it is $15.00 per 2.5 gallons.

#14 · (Edited)
My 2014 Grand Cherokee DEF tank was 1/2 full when I picked it up. Not sure the dealer even knew to check. I have 4000 miles now and I am guessing I getting 1000 to 1200 miles out of a gallon of DEF. That fits the 10,000 mile scenario out of a full tank fairly well. I am using the Peak Blue DEF from the parts store. Like the other post it is $15.00 per 2.5 gallons.
I'm thinking hours would be a better way than miles to measure DEF usage. It's been really cold here resulting in a lot of idling while warming up. One of the trip meters shows hours and miles, maybe both meters. DEF usage for me in the north with a 4 mile commutes will probably differ from someone in the south with a 30 mile commute. My understanding is two gal per 100 diesel or 50/1. Like the gas to oil for my first dirt bike.

#15 ·
On your electronic dash / instrument panel. I think they refer to this in the manual as the EVIC. Use the arrow keys on the left side of the steering wheel. Use the up / down keys to get to the Vehicle Info. page. Then use the left / right arrow keys to find the DEF page. Hope this helps.

#16 ·
I know where the DEF meter is....I'm implying that since the vehicles uses DEF when its not moving that hours running might be a better way to measure. And I saw a hours meter on one of the trip meter, A I think.... I would have to check the B... I do not know if it resets when the meter is reset, I'm thinking probably yes.... I have also noted the the DEF meter is erratic. fluctuating by an easy 10%. I suppose its even possible that DEF usage is inversely proportional to diesel usage. i.e. the faster you go the less per gallon you use. Once again just speculation..... I mean after all before I bought this Limited I could't even spell Cherokee..... and my great grandmother was one.

#18 ·
We had our first LOF at 4500 miles and the DEF was nearly empty.
Dealer only had 5 gallons and that brought us up to 60%.
I did buy the Mopar branded DEF at nearly $15.00 per gallon.
I have been researching this product and Brenntag is most likely the largest producer of DEF under many brand names...ALL exact same ISO 22241 (I believe that was the spec number)

#22 ·
Hello everyone,

We just purchased a new 2014 Ecodiesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had some very cold days and my wife would let the jeep warm up 5-10 min before driving it. Since this is my wife's car she never looked at the DEF gauge. To be honest, I never look at the gauge on delivery of the Jeep. I drove it 4 days later and to my surprise the gauge showed 45% left after only 210 miles total. My concern is we called the Crystal lake, IL Jeep dealer and asked if they would look at the Jeep because I didn't think this was normal or it may have been an honest mistake and they may have forgotten to top it off. To not draw out the story, the GM George was very rude and condescending to both me and my wife and offered to give us 1 or 2 gallons for free. Saying we should read our manual and this was normal. Even though the manual shows that fill up is needed every 10,000 miles.

My questions to everyone:

- How long is the DEF fluid lasting for people?
- Is the GM correct in saying all the extra idling caused the fluid to drop so drastically?

Last note for all our Jeep sisters and brothers- I would never recommend purchasing a Jeep from Chrystal lake, IL Jeep after my experience.
My indicator was showing 20% at 4500 miles. JAH SR

#26 · (Edited)
I just turned 8000 miles and it indicated slightly over 1/4 left. I always remote start it, maybe 60/40 city highway and it runs for 30 seconds before and after to stabilize the turbo in the winter so there is some extra idle in the mix.

Mine was delivered half full too but when I brought the MOPAR diesel pamphlet to the dealer and showed them where it states the DEF tank is to be full at delivery they topped it off without issue.

Bring it up to 3/4 at your oil change and you will not have to worry about it until the next oil change.

I tried to post a photo or a link of the page saying it is to be delivered full but I was not able to post a photo and the link would not post so I can't help with that.

This forum must have some high spam settings.

#27 ·
One of the latest techniques used to clean up diesel emissions is known as selective catalytic reduction (SCR). A liquid is used to treat exhaust gases and remove harmful pollutants, including nitrogen oxides (NOx), of which nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is the most harmful.
The fluid used in most vehicles is known as AdBlue, a registered trademark owned by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), which ensures standards are maintained. The fluid is stored in a tank in the car, but unlike petrol or diesel it is not injected into the engine; instead it is fed into part of the vehicle’s exhaust. A chemical reaction converts the harmful NOx exhaust gases into harmless nitrogen and water.
If you are looking to buy AdBlue in South Africa:
With the wide variety of options available in the market for buying AdBlue I was really very confused with the choice to make regarding the best AdBlue in South Africa, then I got to know about Airnox Pty Ltd, these are the best at what they do, I would highly recommend buy AdBlue from Airnox.
I got AdBlue refueld for my truck from Airnox and I have to say that it was Great - works perfectly. Really slow to empty though, It only needs a small hole really, but be careful as the bottle's really strong. Now my vehicle is running smooth with no problems, you must also once take service from them, Overall I am very satisfied with my experience at Airnox.

#29 ·
28 years as diesel mechanic , Warning DEF has a short self life... 2.5 gal is going to be unstalle before you need a refill.. you have no clue the state there supply.. clean this filter system$$$ So re fill before needed.. I also recommend subscription to " Turbo Diesel Register" $35.00 Per year. Member since1964 when i bought my First new Ram p/u 800+++ mi not need in my work, to many veh.in drive, sold it , bought a 2004 5 yrs .ago with on 295 k on it still a member. 122 pages this month. You can visit web site " WWW.turbodieselregister.com " also visit Geno's Garage for parts . every thing cummins/jeep . written by enginers/ trade school instructors ect.ect. Oh not a speller and don't care but am good at what do!! 🧐

#31 ·
28 years as diesel mechanic , Warning DEF has a short self life... 2.5 gal is going to be unstalle before you need a refill.. you have no clue the state there supply.. clean this filter system$$$ So re fill before needed.. I also recommend subscription to " Turbo Diesel Register" $35.00 Per year. Member since1964 when i bought my First new Ram p/u 800+++ mi not need in my work, to many veh.in drive, sold it , bought a 2004 5 yrs .ago with on 295 k on it still a member. 122 pages this month. You can visit web site " WWW.turbodieselregister.com " also visit Geno's Garage for parts . every thing cummins/jeep . written by enginers/ trade school instructors ect.ect. Oh not a speller and don't care but am good at what do!! 🧐
Where is the def guage in the 2014

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.