Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm having difficulty filling up at the diesel gas pump. The pump nozzle with the spirals seem to get stuck in the filler tube when I push it in all the way. It was very difficult to get it out and it felt like the plastic was about to crack. Had to twist it like a screw to get it out....
Alternatively, If I don't push it in all the way fuel has spilled out as it doesn't shut off automatically.
Anybody with suggestions on this issue?
Of course never had this issue with regular gas.
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, I've had that problem as well with my V6 gas. I'm not really wild about this capless fuel filler.

I've found that if I put the nozzle in up to the spirals it will come out a lot easier if I lift the nozzle handle up then pull the nozzle out. It appears that the spiral likes to get hung up on the lower edge of the filler tube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll give that a try next time. I assume your pushing it it several spirals down as well, in order for the pump to work correctly and shut off,,,?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think the filler opening is a large enough diameter to allow the spiral to enter. I push the nozzle in as far as the spiral allows it to go into the filler opening. So yes, that's a couple of spirals beyond the outer rim of the filler tube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the diesel. It may be a different size/diameter tube.
If I don't push it in far enough the auto shut off doesn't work too well + diesel spills over....
Only have filled 2x thus far so I'll keep trying different methods. Maybe pump I was at had bad nozzle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer to use BP brand ultra low sulfur diesel in my Summit. I noticed while I was in the Chicagoland area picking up the new Jeep last weekend that several BP's still had the larger diameter diesel filler nozzles which as we know will not work with the caplass fuel filler. After a bit of searching online I ordered an adapter kit ($12 on amazon) that VW, Audi, and Porsche offer for their diesel vehicles. The only catch is the automatic shut off will not work so you have to pump the fuel slowly so it does not spill out. I figured it is better to have to adapter in the vehicle as a backup so if I need to get diesel at a truck stop I will not have a problem.

Fill Kit.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Chevron stations I've refilled at seem to work great. No spills or hassles retrieving the nozzle.

Garv

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think the filler opening is a large enough diameter to allow the spiral to enter. I push the nozzle in as far as the spiral allows it to go into the filler opening. So yes, that's a couple of spirals beyond the outer rim of the filler tube.
So far, this is my biggest complaint with this vehicle. Geez, could they have given us, like about an 1/8 inch more clearance. If you don't jam it down far enough, you get a nice diesel bath, once you've had to jam the nozzle down there so you don't get the bath, then you panic as to whether or not you will be able to get the nozzle back out. And no, I'm not using the one meant for commercial vehicles. I think it's a serious safety issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have not had this problem as of yet but I asked the manager of the high volume station I use about it. He told me that the nozzles on the gas pumps that get used upward to 500 times a day compared to the diesel I was using that normally see at the most 50 wear uneven and take on an oval shape as vs round. And when they do that they tend to stick. Perhaps the nozzles are made of a soft alloy to reduce the chance of sparking. The station I use is an Irving and if you want gas you need to get in line but there is hardly ever any one oat the diesel pumps and the have the best prices around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you're using the pumps intended for semis. Those have a larger diameter and spirals. There are smaller pumps but I would imagine not all stations have those in all areas. The good news is that there is a funnel in the vehicle already, located near where the spare is. It's a little tough to find as it blends into it's surroundings but it's there. I always keep disposable gloves as well in the vehicle that way I'm able to toss the glove in the trash and not need to but the dirty one back in the nice interior. I don't usually mind a little diesel on me but don't care to find out what it'll do the the leather wrapped steering wheel over time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No...... I have not as of yet used the larger. I use the smaller low pressure.... and a disposable glove which I toss. . The funnel I believe is intended for fuel cans. The station I use has the small one (which is like the gas ones) for SUV's, Cars and pickups plus 3 larger high pressure for commercial rigs. What I am saying is check the nozzle for what might be excessive wear and you might be able to avoid getting stuck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts