Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 diesel. My only concern is that there appears to be a lot of lag when starting from stop. My wife is most concerned, however, she drives a 2007 Mustang GT. Do any owners feel this Lag? Can I expect it to go away after engine break in? Could there be a software fix to reduce the lag?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Larry, this is my wife's new vehicle - she previously had a 2008 Laredo diesel, which she was hesitant to part with until this one showed up in her garage. In both the 2008 (Mercedes diesel) and this one, there is no lag. This engine digs in from the get-go unlike gasoline variants.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of views but few replies. I guess this is an indication that the lag is what can be expected from a diesel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Specifically, the lag is to be expected with a TURBOdiesel. I'm pretty sure it has much more to do with the turbo and less with the fact that it's a diesel. Any gasoline engine with a single turbo will behave the same. The lag is there, it's very short in duration, and when the turbo kicks in it's the real deal. Unless you go to some super sophisticated twin or more turbo setup where it is designed to maintain some degree of boost even at idle, you are always going to perceive some lag. In this vehicle, I don't even notice it when driving normally, i.e., not mashing the gas from every stop. I would say it becomes noticeable with moderate and up throttle application. Frankly, it just is what it is. What's the concern? It's just a matter of getting used to it, in the same way you might have to adjust to a SUV when switching from a car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comeback. This puts my wife's mind at ease. You know sometimes wives do not necessary believe what their husbands say. Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the comeback. This puts my wife's mind at ease. You know sometimes wives do not necessary believe what their husbands say. Have a Merry Christmas.
Don't I know it. That may be a bit of an understatement too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts