Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good info about the Flo-Pro, thanks. How much did the exhaust shop charge you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For the entire thing including the 4 inch black tips I was right at 650 even.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will keep my BANKS exhaust since it has no mufflers and is already installed, I just need a pipe installed from the turbo back to where the BANKS exhaust is. If I can get something custom for $500 or less that would be awesome. Can you make a video of the sound of your Jeep at idle?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, i am currently working on a video. I am currently working my two week rotation (120 hours a week) so as soon as i find some time i will make that my top priority. Ill try to get something up tomorrow afternoon if im able to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks. I have a whole thread on the other Jeep forum, but I'm ready to do what you did!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I decided with all the talk last night about EGR, to remove my EGR pipe and clean it. This is what 30,083 miles looks like, THANKS EPA! It cleaned up pretty well after soaking in kerosene for and hour and scrubbing with a wire brush

Reactions: VCBBREF

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I will keep my BANKS exhaust since it has no mufflers and is already installed, I just need a pipe installed from the turbo back to where the BANKS exhaust is. If I can get something custom for $500 or less that would be awesome. Can you make a video of the sound of your Jeep at idle?
As you requsted here is an exhaust clip, the video uploaded sideways but there really nothing to look at anyhow haha. Enjoy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, your Jeep sounds sweet! I assume any plugs from the DPF are just unplugged and left hanging or zip tied up since the tuning shuts them off electronically

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you, she really shocked me and everyone at the exhaust shop we all thought it wouldnt sound this good. As far as the plugs yes, i didnt cut them but just unplugged taped and zip tied, that way if I absolutely have to i can put everything back on, not saying i will but better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found on the internet about an hour from me a shop that advertises total custom exhaust pipes. If they will make me a down pipe, I will have it tuned within a week or two. Do you have instructions on how to remove the ECM? I did you get them when you paid for the ECM tuning?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
As far as the instructions, they gave me ones for the RAM 1500 the computer is in a different spot on the jeep. As far as the plugs(EGR plugs), they are in the same spot as the RAM. On the ECM there are 3 bolts that hold it to the bracket (ECM is located on the passenger side by the coolant overflow container). You will have to losen the coolant tank to easily get to the computer. There are two plugs on the side of the computer, once you remove those the computer and bracket slides out after you undo the 2 clips on the top of the bracket. If youd like i could email the instructions to you just let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found the ECM, and the EGR harness today, the instructions would be great. I sent you a conversation request with my e-mail. Thanks buddy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found two places who said they would be willing to fab me a down pipe in January after the holidays are over

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi Guys,

I know that it has been a while since I have posted anything, I have installed my inter-cooler. I set up my Go Pro to snap photos every minute to give me a time lapse of everything I did. Now having said that, here is my review on RIPPMODS inter-cooler. PLEASE wait for a while until this company can develop instructions on how to install this (they currently have nothing, when I called they told me this was their universal kit that just so happen to fit the EcoDiesel). So essentially, I went into this install COMPLETELY blind and I almost fear that this thing was more of a hassle then what it was worth. I have not been able to drive the Jeep since do to issues keeping a seal on my throttle body. I am in contact with BANKS to see if I can get my hands on their all new intake manifold that completely deletes the EGR and is just one piece so there isn't as much of a hassle with gaskets. Those of you who have messed with the actual intake of the EcoDiesel will understand what I mean when I say that. I also discovered a crack on my throttle body and I am 100 percent sure that it was my fault. I have a new one on order and she will be here hopefully on Tuesday (that little throttle body is damn near $400 from the Mopar store). Now lets get onto the good things about this inter-cooler. The quality of the actual inter-cooler is superb. It is about twice the weight of the factory inter-cooler, however the size is almost 2.5 times factory inter-cooler. Aluminum pipes that come with it are decent. I feel like the angles could be a little better (I know I said that the inter-cooler was a universal but that was the actual radiator part, the pipes were bent to size) but they do the job. The pipes also have a larger diameter for more airflow to the motor. One other thing I can say is I need to do a little organizing of the hoses that are behind of my radiator fan as I feel like they are all bunched up due to the larger size of the pipes. Anyhow, I know I said that I was going to upload a video this week but with it being the holidays I am having problems finding time to film. I hope everyone can understand. I know the review of the inter-cooler is brief but I will make sure ALL bases are covered once the project it's self is completed, so bare with me everyone! Here are some time lapse photos of my install (Go Pro died right towards the end of the install) ENJOY!!

Automobile repair shop Room Vehicle Car Floor
Had to remove the front bumper to remove the factory inter-cooler.

Building
You can see the new inter-cooler with the brackets installed on the ground about to go in.

Building Building Building Motor vehicle Automobile repair shop Auto part Vehicle Machine
Had to make multiple attempts to get the inter-cooler mounted correctly, if anyone decides to use this inter-cooler make sure you mount this as far back as possible so the support bars that go in front of the actual radiator actually go back in there. I had to bend out the horn brackets a little bit so they would correctly mount.

Engine
Mounted with support bars installed.

Automobile repair shop Motor vehicle Aerospace engineering Vehicle Auto mechanic
Installing the piping.
Since I had absolutely no instructions. I solely relied on the 4 photos they had on their website to complete the install.

Auto part Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Factory inter-cooler Finished Product

Reactions: VCBBREF and Diverb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome Work, looks really sweet! I'm about 2 weeks away from the fab shop being able to look at the Jeep and fab me a pipe, then I will send my ECM off to PPEI!

I was unaware of BANKS having a intake to delete the EGR. I will contact my guy at BANKS and inquire about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Everyone,

Today I have had time to make a short video of some driving, I did a lot of heavy acceleration because I was trying to test my intercooler and boost tubes and so far so good! The turbo hits harder with the aluminum tubes and almost every bit of the lag is gone, the exhaust cleaned up a little bit too during take off. Hope you all enjoy and I'll be uploading more video's soon!

Reactions: Diverb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome!!!! I love the fact it rolls a little coal! Sounds sick, just as good as my Cummins ( well not quite but still pretty awesome :) ) I'm gong to go with the 40hp tune since I tow both a boat and snowmobile trailer. I cant wait to get this done. I e-mailed BANKS about the intake, but have not heard back yet, most likely because of the holidays/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks, all this time and stress with this is finally staring to pay off! I got a hold of BANKS the other day and they told me they are going to give me a call the second they release their new intake manifold for the diesel. There were a few pictures and one video floating around out there and it looks like a really nice piece, gets rid of those crappy swirl valves that are in the factory intake manifold. I am sure that removing those little flapper valves will make somewhat of a difference with HP/TQ. After that I will be doing the water/meth injection from BANKS once it is out of R&D, definitely going to try to utilize the 8 gallon DEF tank to put the water/meth in that way I can use the little fill port (seems like a good spot)! I kind of wish I would have went with the 40HP tune as well since I too have a boat to pull around, but I'll take this as a challenge to see if I can figure out how to drop the EGT's significantly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sent an e-mail off to PPEI, I'm thinking of having them reflash my ECM with just stock tuning, and keeping my BANKS tuner. All I really care about is being able to delete the DPF/EGR and the BANKS tuning offers a little more power without worrying about toasting my tranny. What kind of EGT's are you seeing now that you are deleted? FYI the water/meth is available for purchase, I have it on my Jeep, but I rarely use it. It gets $$ after while if your hammering on it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I actually called BANKS and they had told me that they still have the water/methanol in R&D I'll have to call them back tomorrow and double confirm because I didn't see it for the Grand Cherokee on their website yet. To be honest with you the EGT's when cruising sit at around 700-800 but full throttle it will top out at 1600 for a second and then taper off to 1400. I've had a little bit of a heavier foot recently just because I've never had a tuned diesel before, so I'm playing with it for now (I'm sure you know what I mean haha) but with my normal driving habits it is 700-800. I am thinking about trying to pull my boat just to see what I average, it is a 20 foot pontoon boat (approximately 4500 pounds, but she catches a lot of wind). As far as the water/methanol I'd mainly used it for the summer time to cool my intake temperature, really no need for me to run that in the winter time as the air is cool and dense enough. I'm sure that would help me out a ton in the summer time since I am also a mile above sea level, also take drives in the mountains during the summer and some of the roads go up to 11000 feet plus. As far as the transmission when I am cruising the temperature sits right at 180-185 which was not a huge jump from stock, now if you hammer on it she will climb to 190-195. The gearshift's are solid and smooth like butter, you have a point about possibly killing the transmission and time will only tell. I do know of a company by the name of Espos diesel has set up a compound turbo kit on the ecodiesel and according to the dyno sheet this dude is putting down 400hp and 600lb/ft of torque on the stock transmission and I believe he has been torturing that thing for quite a while now and so far so good. I have been looking into upgrading the transmission cooler just to ensure that the temperature stays down. If you don't mind me asking how much does the water/methanol mixture cost and where do you get it, I was reading online that windshield wiper fluid would work?

21 - 40 of 196 Posts