Diesel Jeep Forum banner

Good time to buy a diesel GC?

• Yes, the current low gas price is temporary and causes diesel GCs to sell at a discount

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, diesel prices will continute to be higher than gas for years to come

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter, I just want one.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I've been lurking for awhile, but first post. I'm interested in your opinions in the poll. It's almost (or perhaps past) time to retire my 1998 V8 Limited with 210k miles on it. I've been interested in the diesel GC since the Benz motor was introduced in '07, but never pulled the trigger back then.

My situation: I don't tow much of anything these days, other than a small landscape trailer, but I spend quite a bit of time logging miles on the highway. As such, I need a vehicle that is comfortable, quiet, and relatively fuel (or more properly, cost) efficient on the interstate. (such as my current GC, sans the efficiency part).

A local dealer currently has two 2014 diesels on the lot that I'd like to see, however I'm conflicted with two schools of thought regarding the diesel and it's cost of operation (and if I should invest in one):

1. The current dip in gas prices is temporary, and will shortly rise to once again be close to diesel prices. I live in WA state where diesel is currently around 80 cents per gallon more than gas. This fact 'should' cause diesel powered vehicles to sell for a discount today, while the cost of operation will be higher in the short term. However if gas prices rise and the vehicle is held long term (obviously I hold my vehicles long term), then one can reap the benefit of a lower purchase price today.

2. Gas prices will be significantly lower than diesel for the foreseeable future, and thus the extended cost of operation will never make the purchase of a diesel worth it, no matter how many highway miles are logged.

I tend to think the gas price dip is temporary and feel it may be a good time to purchase a diesel GC. What do you think?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts