Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I guess cleaning the injector didn't work. Just a 100 or so mile and the check engine light came on again. They now say the injector has to be replaced. Only problem is that it's on national back order.

Sure seems that Jeep got caught with it's pants down on this model!

·
Registered
74 Posts
No CAT codes after replacement at 6000 miles, have 9500 now. Three visits since for "left bank lean". Two total weeks in the shop and ended up tightening clamps on the intake near the mass airflow sensor. Had one exhaust filter approaching full message. Book reads to drive on the highway for twenty minutes. I do that every other day though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am just wondering if anyone has had problems since the cat replacement and how many miles since the replacement. I have about 3 thousand and trouble free. hoping that they figured it all out
I have a 2014 Summit Diesel and had my CAT replaced in January. I now have 41,000 miles on mine. Lots of issues before, and none since. I have about 13,000 on the new CAT. before the replacement, I have issues with there DEF. Not a single incident since (knock on wood). It is going in for another oil change and tire rotation tomorrow. I bought the extended warranty after the CAT replacement, worked thing wouldn't improve, but again, not a single issue. Very happy after 41,000 miles. I have averaged almost 28 MPG during those miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New site member here. I have an early (purchased December 2013) Diesel GJC. All was fine until 21000 miles or so. DEF issues with check engine light constantly on. Drove for a few weeks without problems, but having a big trip planned (wife was going with freinds) decided to have it looked into. Called back same day and was told the whole catalytic converter/DEF system needed to re replaced. absolutely no dicking around by me excellant dealer. Took 5 days with free rental (dart). So I had to drive my chellenger HC around (oh he pain :).

Now with a few thousand miles no problems at all. I'm not even getting the catayltic needs to be recycled message any more (ie drive 60 miles etc...)

Gas mileage even better. Hit 37 mpg n the flats out of Va beach with 5 passengers and gear. Averaged just over 30 mpg for about 400 mile trip to the mountains and back.

Was told the replacement CC was the issue and it was redesigned and should see no more problems.

At this point am very happy and hope to keep her for a long time. The catalytic system/urea injection is covered for 8 years.

Was also lead to beleive that all 14's would need this replacement at some time.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree...well documented.
I used this forum and knowledge gained when I moved our service to our current dealer. Very pleased...No more guesswork.
Well we won in the end.. Chrysler bought our jeep back through lemon law after we seeked out a Lemon Lawyer. The sad fact that it had to really come down to that and that they still tried to refuse to pay back our 3,000 dollars! We asked Chrysler for a replacement vehicle which they refused, and stated they were going to attempt to fix it again. We sent all our repair documentation to the lawyers and within two weeks Chrysler stated they would buy the vehicle back. In the end they had to pay for all fees including the lawyer fees. I still miss my jeep but not their horrible customer service. The whole process in all took about 4 months until the jeep was gone. I'm glad you guys are no longer having issues!

·
Registered
36 Posts
New site member here. I have an early (purchased December 2013) Diesel GJC. All was fine until 21000 miles or so. DEF issues with check engine light constantly on. Drove for a few weeks without problems, but having a big trip planned (wife was going with freinds) decided to have it looked into. Called back same day and was told the whole catalytic converter/DEF system needed to re replaced. absolutely no dicking around by me excellant dealer. Took 5 days with free rental (dart). So I had to drive my chellenger HC around (oh he pain :).

Now with a few thousand miles no problems at all. I'm not even getting the catayltic needs to be recycled message any more (ie drive 60 miles etc...)

Gas mileage even better. Hit 37 mpg n the flats out of Va beach with 5 passengers and gear. Averaged just over 30 mpg for about 400 mile trip to the mountains and back.

Was told the replacement CC was the issue and it was redesigned and should see no more problems.

At this point am very happy and hope to keep her for a long time. The catalytic system/urea injection is covered for 8 years.

Was also lead to beleive that all 14's would need this replacement at some time.

Matt
8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Important to keep in mind if you drive a lot like I do. I had CAT replacement at 19k miles and now have 38k. I'll hit 80k long before 8 years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4k with the new CAT, no problems. Never used Mopar DEF (except for the 1/4 tank it came with). mUsually Blue Def from the auto supply store. So far in 1.5 years and 32K no problems whatsoever. Even when I got the CEL for the Cat it was 2 quick visits to my local dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a funny thing happen twice now. Driving in 40mph traffic, when a drivetrain shudder occurred. It caught me off guard both times, so I haven't been able to pin it down to engine or trans.
Next time I'll hurry and paddle shift into a different gear to see if it stops.
The shudder lasts for only about 10 seconds, then normal operation resumes.
Anyone else getting this..???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a funny thing happen twice now. Driving in 40mph traffic, when a drivetrain shudder occurred. It caught me off guard both times, so I haven't been able to pin it down to engine or trans.
Next time I'll hurry and paddle shift into a different gear to see if it stops.
The shudder lasts for only about 10 seconds, then normal operation resumes.
Anyone else getting this..???

See the thread called 'Transmission Slipping' Transmission Slipping | Diesel Jeep Forum
Seems that some of the GC diesels that do lots of short distance local driving can have an issue with cylinder heads clogging. There is a fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2014 GC diesel and that shudder or also called fishbites is supposedly caused by carbon buildup. They have to drop the engine and replace the cylinder heads with redesigned ones. Major job that took 3 weeks for mine. About 1500 mi since work and no problems or MIL lights since. There is a service bulletin that came out in July that describes this exactly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine back two days ago drove 200 miles and light back one. This time it start the count down to no restart. Had the injectors, pump, cat all replace and memory flashed. Still engine light service def system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In regards to the shudder.
My dealership acknowledged the TSB, and is going to handle it when it becomes an everyday occurrence. Interestingly enough, while at the dealer about this, they applied a new PCM update.
I must say. This update really livened up the JGC. Significant reduction in turbo lag and increased performance. On the down side, about 2mpg less highway. (Further analysis needed )
The shudder occurred twice since then, but has not reappeared for over a week now. That's promising.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had mine replaced as well as the DEF injector system four weeks ago. It was in the shop for a week for that fix (this was the 4th time it was in within about 10 days) and just yesterday after maybe 1500 miles the engine light is BACK ON saying that the DEF system is malfunctioning and that I need to take it in to the dealer!! I have just broken 24k miles on my 2014 GC EcoD and this thing is a complete nightmare.

After owning the car a few months I was in and out of the dealership a few times. First time was for transport damage that they tried to get past me, which thankfully I caught within the first few days and resulted in body work for about a week. Each time the light would come back on within a day or so. Got to the point where I didn't have time to mess with it all the time so I let it roll for a while with the engine light on. Came time to get it back in and the real nightmare began. So the service department tells me that it was an update they pushed out that needed to be done and also that there appeared to be a code related the the DEF and cat in there as well, but they would wait and see what happened and just cleared the code. Ok, whatever. Next day...engine light on. I call and make an appointment and bring it back in a week later. They have someone look at it, say they fixed the problem in a sensor tripping the engine light and they send me off on my way. As I'm driving home it comes back on and I proceed to lose my mind, considering that crashing the vehicle into a tree would be a better option. Thankfully for them I had a cooling off period and brought it in the next morning.

I have since stopped calling them asking for an appointment so I just show up now. They have a tech come out and plug into it and clear some codes etc, finds a problem with the front radar sensor, they take it in to fix it and I have a loaner for a week. I get the vehicle back and a day later, ding, light back on. I, again, lose my mind and drive in the next morning. Tech plugs in again and tells me that its the cat converter that's causing the issue and it will need replacement. I tell him that I am taking a vacation road trip cross-country in a week or so and want to know if it will be good to go, to which he and the service manager assure it will be. They were ordering the part and would contact me in a few days when it was in. Ok, fine.

As I'm on my way...literally ten miles into my trip DING my console lights up with "wont restart in 200 miles, see dealer." I was so mad I wasn't even able to think rationally as I pulled off the interstate and took the exit ramp which led back to my dealership. I walked in and tried to not scream as best I could but that didn't really happen. They got me a rental, which took 4 hours to do, so I could continue on my trip. They had the vehicle for 10 days only a week prior and this is what happens. I talk with the same tech and manager who then tells me that they did not give me the diagnosis that I was given the last time I was in. They tried to tell me I needed more diagnostics and that the tech who was looking at my car that day wasn't a diesel tech so he must have been wrong. Now I am making the point to them that you should probably have the diesel tech look at the diesel vehicle and demanded he look at it right then and there.

Oh, now we see the problem is the DEF injector is corroded to the point where it has to be broken off to replace it and the cat converter needs replacement also. I say, well, it didn't happen over night so what the hell are you guys doing when I bring it!? The manager tells me that it's a problem on the west coast due to salt in the air and/or winter conditions...well, we are in the Midwest and it went through one freaking winter as a brand new vehicle, it shouldn't corrode that fast! I basically throw the keys at them and leave, telling them to fix this POS.

10 days later....

I come in with the hope all is well. I leave the dealership that evening and on my way home I see....they cracked my windshield. Again, I lose my mind. Now I go in and talk with the GM who I told I have contacted the parent company about the horrible service and the horrible product I've got. I was foolish to think that would do any good as no one has ever tried to get in touch with me since. A few weeks go buy and here we are today, with the DEF broken...Again.

Worst. vehicle. ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: CEL was back on as of Saturday evening with DEF notice and see dealer displayed. As of 0700 this morning got the 200mi death notice due to DEF. Had everything replaced under 1k miles ago. It's at the dealer. Again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 2,000 miles on the replacement cat with no CEL's. But my DEF gauge is very erratic....... it could have been before and I just wasn't paying attention. Also I think my DEF was froze until recently. Emissions has not cleared... the dealer said it needs to be driven with the temp above 50..... Still waiting. I have a blue tooth OBDII and Torque Pro on my droid so I will know when it clears. Here in the Boston area we have had the worst winter in recorded history. It's snowing as I type...... My 4x2 with snow tires and 120 pounds of sand in the back handles all this snow just fine. Not missing the AWD. Still the first cat didn't start acting up until 8500 miles and I think that's avg. for ones that did. So time will tell.
noticing the same thing about my DEF gauge. I just had the DEF topped off when I had it in for an oil change and a day or 2 later it's showing less than 3/4. Also, recently when the gauge showed almost empty (around 1/4) I put it 5 gallons and it over flowed. Anyone else?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts