Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Missed buying a GDE tune by about a month. After searching the Ram forums I came across a tune for the eco diesel grand Cherokee by HD Diesel supply. Is anyone running this tune in their JGC? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all!

Missed buying a GDE tune by about a month. After searching the Ram forums I came across a tune for the eco diesel grand Cherokee by HD Diesel supply. Is anyone running this tune in their JGC? What are your thoughts?
My cousin has a 2018 Summit and just put on the HD Diesel Supply tune. He said it greatly reduces the turbo lag and makes the JGC run smoother. Too early to say on mileage improvements, but so far seems a lot like the GDE tune he had on his previous Jeep. NExt time I talk with him I'll get an update and post it. He remnded me that the folks at HD Diesel were very easy to work with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m interested in this tune and delete kit as well and would like to hear some real world experience with it. Wanting to wait and see if GDE can get back in the game but if not I need another option

·
Registered
12 Posts
So the two options I can find are PPEI and HD Diesel Supply. PPEI is $1050 and HD is $1600. I haven't found anyone that has used HD, but have spoken to several people with PPEI with no issues. I'm thinking it's better to go with the known entity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SFT and MRTuning are two other options. Both offer tunes via handheld tools, which is nice. I have experience with both of their Stage 1 ECU tunes and Trans tunes. Both are good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, definitely. I have the Banks Bullet and it makes a big difference. I believe that the delete and tune will only be a slight improvement performance wise, but I expect it to add more miles to the engine and less repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The information on HD diesel's site looks a lot like GDE. Any possibility that he just jumped the border from Michigan? I've run GDE in a Liberty for years and years with nothing but smiles on my face. I'm going to contact HD and check them out further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered from HD. Due to supply/demand, shipping is delayed 2-3 weeks. Seems like everyone is realizing they are the best option these days with GDE out. It is a decent package since it comes with the needed exhaust pipe. I also like that I don't have to pull my ECM, send it out and wait (with my JGC out of commission) until it's reprogrammed and I reinstall. Hopefully I can do the entire install/delete myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered from HD. Due to supply/demand, shipping is delayed 2-3 weeks. Seems like everyone is realizing they are the best option these days with GDE out. It is a decent package since it comes with the needed exhaust pipe. I also like that I don't have to pull my ECM, send it out and wait (with my JGC out of commission) until it's reprogrammed and I reinstall. Hopefully I can do the entire install/delete myself.
My cousin has a 2018 Summit and just put on the HD Diesel Supply tune. He said it greatly reduces the turbo lag and makes the JGC run smoother.With only a couple of tanks of fuel, he is seeing a 4 to 5 mpg improvement. So far he says it seems to be almost identical to the GDE tune he had previously in an older JGC. No problems, only a better running JGC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to order the HD Diesel Supply tune as soon as I get my tax returns. Anyone willing to make a video of the installation process when they do it? Mostly I'm wondering how hard its going to be to remove that old exhaust section. Looks pretty tight at the end nearest the engine. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Arrives this coming Wednesday. Probably will wait until the weekend to install. HD did send me the instructions already. It's written for both the Ram and GV with no photos. I'll try to make it easier for people in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes! I installed it over the weekend. I plan on writing a separate post on a new thread to give my take on things, but here's the quick version...

HD Diesel Supply always answered their phone, no issues with support.
The ECU replacement was a piece of cake. Instructions were good for that portion.
EGR delete was a total bear! Instructions are for a Ram truck and there are pages of instructions that don't apply or you have to figure out on your own. In addition some bolt are near impossible to get to. I had to hacksaw a bracket off instead of remove bolt!
Exhaust delete was tough, but doable.

Performance change - I had a Banks Bullet "tune" (not a ecu reprogram) that I removed for this mod. If you are just looking for better performance and not worried about EGR and want to keep DEF, etc, just get the Banks tune. It's a 2-3 hour install that most can do. Acceleration is very comparable to what I got with the HD tune, delete, etc Fuel economy with the HD tune did go up noticeably from stock and Banks Bullet. So far, I'm averaging 30 mpg city/hwy combined. I was more around 24mpg prior to the HD tune/delete.

Overall - I would 100% do the EGR delete and tune again. I'm not sure if I would do the full exhaust delete again. My Overland is a little too loud for me and I will fix that with a straight muffler, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about the smell and soot. The back of my white jeep shows all the soot that is "backwashing" onto my jeep. I'm hoping I can reconfigure some things to fix that. Not sure the wife enjoys the strong diesel smell in the garage or at idle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts