Diesel Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I considered that.... But nixed it as to much work plus there is other stuff I would rather use that drawer for like wallet, phone and things that plug into a USB and perhaps on occasion my 38 when I go to the range. Plus if door was closed I wouldn't be able to operate the slide or see the display and if it were open it would protrude to far. Also I couldn't quite figure out how to mount the bracket inside the drawer so it would be secure and at the proper angle. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing photos when you are done.
For what it's worth...the center media compartment (2014 GC Overland) that has USB, MP3 plug ins, etc., has a shelf top and back. The controller will easily store up there and bring down in front of the usb ports when in use. I plan to fish the wires up the top (directly behind the door), pop loose the side panel near your right leg and zip tie the wires under the dash to the installed female connectors. My controller included the prewired connections for both the Jeep and the controller. However, the wires will not be long enough. I am planning to use the included pigtale and extend the wires. I will take pics along the way if this helps.
I just cannot push myself to drill the holes into the panels, nor want to hit the controller with my knee entering/exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
brake controller

Here are my pics installing the brake controller on our 2014 Jeep GC Overland without drilling holes.
I'm storing the unit on the shelf above the audio input connections center console.
OEM pigtail, adaptor cable & controller from trailer.com. Spliced the 2 sets of wires for more length & fished wires.
20 minutes.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Happy to report that I just picked up our 28' travel trailer weighing 5200 pounds and the described brake controller worked flawlessly.
I also reported in another thread that I was able to maintain 16-17 MPG, traveling 60-65 MPH, into a 15 mph headwind, towing that trailer...not fun afternoon with that kind of wind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes. As suggested by the Dealer, RV center and manual.
I believe I read in the manual WD hitch is required when exceeding 3500 pounds???
We will be out with the rig this coming weekend...I will take some pics of the setup.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My salesman advised me to turn traction control off when towing because sway in the trailer could cause over correction by the vehicle... I'm not sure I'm down with that... but if I ever get my trailer dug out I will see.

I'm hoping for better than 20mpg... my trailer is less than 3500 and I'm 2WD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too am purchasing a new RV in the coming weeks. I wonder where the controller would be installed if they have to mount it someplace. Im kind of a taller guy and need my knee space. What model of controller is that? The install looks ideal for me. Great pics! Some captions on your pictures would be even more helpful if you dont mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
from etrailer.com:
1 Primus Iq Brake Control- Proportional 1 0
1 Tekonsha Brake Control Adapter 1

the installation is pretty straight forward. purchased the wiring adaptor, but had to splice the adaptor with the Jeep supplied pigtail to extend the wiring. just "fished" from the storage compartment down the side panel near your right leg, popped the panel loose to continue running the wires behind the panels and connect to the oem brake controller fitting.
I put the contoller on the shelf you will find by reaching back above the USB media plugins when not in use. Bring it down to monitor or adjust the controller when in tow.
NO holes to drill, very clean looking and secure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bogey, would you post a pic of your avatar that's higer res? Is that your new camper? I'm looking at toy haulers, and I'm trying to get a sense of scale. I'm looking at Hyperlight XLRs. The 27 is 5600 lbs., and I'm thinking that I'll have 400lbs of water, propane etc, plus 1000 lbs of bikes, stands, leathers etc.. Would put me right at 7000 lbs. Not sure I want to push that close to the tow limit. Is yours 5200 lbs fully loaded with water, propane etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that weight isnt only what you are towing but whats in your jeep too. Sounds like to me youd really be pushing the limits with all your toys and gear and the trailer plus passengers. Let alone food, other living gear, etc... That said im buying a 5600lb dry weight trailer thinking i can steer well clear of the 7200lb tow capacity. The heaviest toys I'll be packing are golf clubs. :)

And Bogey, Id like to see your full rig too!

·
Registered
67 Posts
image.jpg
Maybe not the best overall angle of our setup.
28' Trailer, 31' total length...5200 dry weight...most likely close to 6,000 lbs.
I have weight distribution and anit-sway bars.

Still have to install bike rack on back.
We tow with empty tanks as well.
I dropped the ball height 2" today to allow for new Jeep driving height.
Sorry, forgot to take pics of the hitch setup...will do when I venture out again...soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice! Ill post mine once I pick it up here in a few weeks. By the way what kind of nerf bars are those? I need to get some for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone towed 6000-7000# with a properly equipped Diesel with the factory tow package? I have the factory brake controller on order and plan to use the wk2 as an emergency backup tow vehicle for light loads under 7000 #
Are a weight distribution setup with anti sway torsion bars needed? I am used to towing with a 6.7 cummins 3500 drw where 10k loads are practically unnoticeable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The manual says anything over 3500 requires weight dist hitch as far as sway bars id guess thats personal preference. I didnt even know there was a factory brake controller. :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
On my WDH the sway bars are what makes it work....without them it's just an expensive ball mount...with them everything works better. I don't understand why anyone would want to pull a trailer without a WDH. On the VW (Touareg) version of the JGC the manual warns against using a WDH because the torque could cause the hitch to separate from the frame. But the torque from the torsion bars also known as anti sway bars is what shifts part of the hitch weight to the front tires. To my way of thinking that limits the towing capacity of the Touareg to 3500 pounds, and that is one the reasons I went with the Jeep instead of the VW. I also am not familiar with a Factory brake controller.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bars came with the Overland...look "pretty" but worthless as a step. They actually make it more difficult for my "vertically challenged" spouse to enter/exit, even when lowered into the park height.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can't order a factory brake controller but Mopar offers one as a dealer installed accessory. See post #5 in this thread.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I appreciate that info .... I was considering bars because my wife looks like a kid on monkey bars when she climbs in. But I wasn't sure they would help.
Bars came with the Overland...look "pretty" but worthless as a step. They actually make it more difficult for my "vertically challenged" spouse to enter/exit, even when lowered into the park height.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts