Diesel Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can't order a factory brake controller but Mopar offers one as a dealer installed accessory. See post #5 in this thread.

It's a Mopar accessory anyone can order one.Since we have sales code AXHP - trailer tow group IV It is said to integrate with the factory modules to display brake controller information on the dash. I guess I used the wrong wording. Either way it was ordered through a Chrysler dealership.

I am confused on the weight distribution hitch. The manual I have states that a weight distribution setup is recommended when towing over 5000 lbs. I have an overland equipped with the active quadarlift suspension so it's supposed to level the vehicle while towing.
I read an article in Four wheeler where they towed over the 7200 rating and it did a good job. In the pictures I did not see any torsion bars being used to help with sway control. I wanted to hear from someone with real world experience. Again I am used to towing with a 3500 DRW truck where 10k on the back is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm used to towing with a Honda Odyssey where 3500 pounds on the back is very noticeable.... and that's all the real world I have to offer... I'm sure you can tow over 3500 with JGC and that the Quadra Lift lift will go a long way towards keeping your headlights pointing towards the road. But you will have six or seven hundred pound sitting in back of the rear axle which will result in less weight on the front end which means less control. The WDH moves the weight to the front of the rear axle.... and you also have the added benefit of the trailer being held on by more gravity and a 1/2 inch clamp.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's a Mopar accessory anyone can order one.Since we have sales code AXHP - trailer tow group IV It is said to integrate with the factory modules to display brake controller information on the dash. I guess I used the wrong wording. Either way it was ordered through a Chrysler dealership.

I am confused on the weight distribution hitch. The manual I have states that a weight distribution setup is recommended when towing over 5000 lbs. I have an overland equipped with the active quadarlift suspension so it's supposed to level the vehicle while towing.
I read an article in Four wheeler where they towed over the 7200 rating and it did a good job. In the pictures I did not see any torsion bars being used to help with sway control. I wanted to hear from someone with real world experience. Again I am used to towing with a 3500 DRW truck where 10k on the back is hardly noticeable.

Interesting... according to Jeep, trailer sway control is provided as part of the vehicle stability and traction control systems with the class 4 tow package. I would imagine though that it's a supplement to and not a substitute for actual trailer sway control equipment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting... according to Jeep, trailer sway control is provided as part of the vehicle stability and traction control systems with the class 4 tow package. I would imagine though that it's a supplement to and not a substitute for actual trailer sway control equipment.
It's confusing. I did not see anything in the owners manual that referenced the different setups with only the rear load leveling system vs the full Quadralift system. Or if the vehicle is equipped with the class IV setup vs if someone were to add their own aftermarket hitch. I often tow several times a week and at times my tow vehicle is down for service so I wanted a backup tow vehicle that can tow up to 7000 lbs if needed. After reading the towing review in Four wheeler magazine where they towed at the rated max capacity I was under the impression that towing 6000-7000 lbs which is under the factory max towing capacity of 7200 would not be an issue.

I know when I have pulled around 15-20,000 lbs with my Dually if I use the air bags to level the truck it handles much better. I have never used any torsion bars between the trailer and the hitch.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's confusing. I did not see anything in the owners manual that referenced the different setups with only the rear load leveling system vs the full Quadralift system. Or if the vehicle is equipped with the class IV setup vs if someone were to add their own aftermarket hitch. I often tow several times a week and at times my tow vehicle is down for service so I wanted a backup tow vehicle that can tow up to 7000 lbs if needed. After reading the towing review in Four wheeler magazine where they towed at the rated max capacity I was under the impression that towing 6000-7000 lbs which is under the factory max towing capacity of 7200 would not be an issue.

I know when I have pulled around 15-20,000 lbs with my Dually if I use the air bags to level the truck it handles much better. I have never used any torsion bars between the trailer and the hitch.

That's true, manufacturers don't clearly state what real towing requirements/limitations are outside of what they advertise in their brochures or websites.

On earlier year GC's you had a choice of factory class 3 or 4 towing packages. I haven't seen any reference to class 3 packages on the GC in the last few years. I believe all they offer are class 4 now. I would also believe that if they offer a particular towing class hitch, the heavier duty coolers, alternator and wiring related to that and state the max towing capacity then the vehicle should be just fine towing within those specs. It would be nice if they somewhere stated what additional equipment you may need to do this safely and properly.

Not getting this as a factory setup creates more of a headache. While it's relatively easy to add an aftermarket hitch it's not so easy to upgrade the engine and trans coolers, the alternator or even add the trailer wiring.

The rear load leveling shocks come on models that don't offer Quadra-Lift. My thought would be that either setup is designed to handle class 4 towing requirements.

Your dually is a more purpose-built vehicle for towing/hauling. It's larger and heavier than a GC and the "tail wagging the dog" effect of a large, heavy trailer would be far less pronounced on the dually than a smaller, lighter trailer would or may be on a GC. If you are going to tow near capacity with a GC then my opinion would be that you would be safer to go with actual trailer sway control equipment in combination with whatever trailer sway control feature is part of the vehicle stability and traction control systems. It's just extra insurance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Their advertising is misleading... 7400 pounds and 30 mpg.... True for a 4x2 not a 4x4. The rear axle has a max of 3200 and when I do all the math involving gross and curb minus driver and one passenger I come up with a pay load of about 1200 or about 600 per axle. So without some way to shift weight to the front towing would technically be 6000 pounds. I have also noted that my ball mount is rated at 650. I also consider anti sway bars something that stops sway and the vehicle's anti sway more in the control area. No harm in having both. I would right now if need be hook up to a 7500 pound load and tow it without a WDH, of course not on a regular basis.

So... up to 7400 if properly equipped means: a 4x2 with factory installed class IV and a WDH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Their advertising is misleading... 7400 pounds and 30 mpg.... True for a 4x2 not a 4x4. The rear axle has a max of 3200 and when I do all the math involving gross and curb minus driver and one passenger I come up with a pay load of about 1200 or about 600 per axle. So without some way to shift weight to the front towing would technically be 6000 pounds. I have also noted that my ball mount is rated at 650. I also consider anti sway bars something that stops sway and the vehicle's anti sway more in the control area. No harm in having both. I would right now if need be hook up to a 7500 pound load and tow it without a WDH, of course not on a regular basis.

So... up to 7400 if properly equipped means: a 4x2 with factory installed class IV and a WDH.

Just looking to tow older Jeeps on an emergency basis when my truck is down for service. Should not exceed 7000 lbs. My smallest car trailer probably weights in at 2500 lbs. I only deal with 2 5/16 bull dog couplers or pintle hitches. I buy the HD 2 5/16 balls not the ones from the local stores. I think one of them is rated for 16k
My smallest car hauler actually came with a torsion bar setup from the previous owner I just need to get a ball mount that they will connect to. After looking at the GC more and seeing the light load ratings on the tires and that it is a unibody I am not sure I would want to tow much with it. I guess I got all excited when I read the article in Four Wheeler and made sure the GC had the factory class 4 hitch and tow package. Since it's an overland it came as standard equipment. I'll still install the Mopar brake controller which should be here in April and post an update on how it integrates with the display on the dash.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just looking to tow older Jeeps on an emergency basis when my truck is down for service. Should not exceed 7000 lbs. My smallest car trailer probably weights in at 2500 lbs. I only deal with 2 5/16 bull dog couplers or pintle hitches. I buy the HD 2 5/16 balls not the ones from the local stores. I think one of them is rated for 16k
My smallest car hauler actually came with a torsion bar setup from the previous owner I just need to get a ball mount that they will connect to. After looking at the GC more and seeing the light load ratings on the tires and that it is a unibody I am not sure I would want to tow much with it. I guess I got all excited when I read the article in Four Wheeler and made sure the GC had the factory class 4 hitch and tow package. Since it's an overland it came as standard equipment. I'll still install the Mopar brake controller which should be here in April and post an update on how it integrates with the display on the dash.
Since I'm towing under 5000 pounds the Walmart balls which are rated up to 500 are O.K. but they wear quick so Maybe I should look into an "HD". My problem is that the ball mount for my WDH when set at the lowest position is still about 4" higher than I would like. Which puts the rear of the trailer closer to the ground than I'm comfortable with. I just ordered an adjustable with a 10" drop from e-trailer..... It's only good for 5000 pounds and I will not be able to use my WDH but since the trailer is under 3500 should be no problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FYI...I just posted pics of my WDH and sway bar setup on the Towing Thread.
Our total weight is about 6,000 lbs...more with bikes on the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bogeyman2B had a great idea for the brake controller. Just picked up my Summit ecodiesel yesterday and put my brake controller in the same place. Fairly easy install and it is out of the way and a clean way to do it. Thanks Bogeyman2B for a great idea... Have a Lance 1575 to pull.. Can't wait to see how she does. Here are a few pictures..

20140424_094639.jpg 20140424_111132.jpg 20140424_111146.jpg 20140424_111315.jpg 20140424_111353.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bogeyman2B and dasummit, Nice work! I've had my Jeep for a few weeks and just noticed that little ledge and immediately started searching to see if a brake controller would fit in there. Can either of you guys confirm if the dealer does actually have to flash something in the computer for this to work or was it plug and play?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plug and play for me.
Ordered the correct wiring harness for the JGC and brake controller.
Took less than "1 beer" to fish wires and complete the installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too installed my trailer brake controller in the console (2014 JGC Limited) as described above. But I had a hard time finding the Jeep male plug under the dash. The directions with the pigtail noted ""under the instrument panel, left of the steering column, taped back." When I finally found it the plug was wire tied behind another cable. It was difficult to see from below. Here is an image of the approximate location. I turned it into view for this pic. It is very close to a rubber hose (vacuum?) that runs from under the dash through the firewall near the emergency brake peddle. brake controller plug 3 label.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to the forum and considering the new Ecodiesel to do double duty. I need a bigger company vehicle(industrial sales and applications for automation) and would also use it to pull our 27.5' camper that weighs ~4500lbs. Does the new diesel come with a brake controller or will I have to install one as soon as I get it and will that affect the warranty? Any help with this is appreciated. Hopefully looking forward to ordering a new one!!!:)
Trailer package comes with breaker controller connection. You will need to add the electric breaker controller.

John C.
New Diesel Grand Cherokee. New on Monday before Thanksgiving, 2013. Currently have 16k+ miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is anyone using the Mopar brake controller? If so how is performance? I would think since it plugs into the vehicle electronics that all sensors used would be on the vehicle, not the controller, and it integrates with the stability controller system. Anybody know if this is correct? I have the factory tow package w/o the air suspension. I've been towing with a rented trailer with surge brakes. It tows a Camaro on a 2000lb uhaul trailer like nothing.
Next year hopefully I will have my own trailer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is anyone using the Mopar brake controller? If so how is performance? I would think since it plugs into the vehicle electronics that all sensors used would be on the vehicle, not the controller, and it integrates with the stability controller system. Anybody know if this is correct? I have the factory tow package w/o the air suspension. I've been towing with a rented trailer with surge brakes. It tows a Camaro on a 2000lb uhaul trailer like nothing.
Next year hopefully I will have my own trailer.
I read in another towing thread that the Mopar Brake Controller is basically a mid-priced unit with a low-end cheap design. It doesn't have or use G-sensors. You would be better off with a high quality brake controller. Others may have a recommendation for good brands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller which is one of the highest regarded controllers. Although it's gotten limited use in my Overland so far, it seems to perform great. I installed per the video instructions posted on Etrailer, where I purchased the P3. When installing the P3, or other similar units with inertial control, be careful with installation. Per the Tekonsha specs "As long as the P3 controller sits level on a horizontal plane and is pointed in the direction of travel, it will sense - via an internal inertia sensor - how your tow vehicle brakes." Also, you will want to be able to access the manual override, located on the bottom of the controller, for extra braking power on steep downhills. If your controller is sitting in the storage box, without positive attachment, alignment and access to the override button, you may as well not have a brake controller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
And please post and let us know how the mopar controller worked out. I am going to need one installed before the spring.

Thanks

Jeff
I bounce back and forth between towing my travel trailer (3500 lb) and cargo trailer (4000 lbs) with my GC diesel and '06 Liberty diesel. I use the Prodigy RF Controller which needs no hard wiring in the tow vehicle. Just unplug it from the 12v port and move it into the other jeep. A bit more expensive than a hard wired controller (approx $300) but much more flexible and works like a charm.
http://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...s/prodigy-rf/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB508pViEKmVBf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bogeyman2B had a great idea for the brake controller. Just picked up my Summit ecodiesel yesterday and put my brake controller in the same place. Fairly easy install and it is out of the way and a clean way to do it. Thanks Bogeyman2B for a great idea... Have a Lance 1575 to pull.. Can't wait to see how she does. Here are a few pictures..

View attachment 65
This is a great thread guys. Thanks for your comments. I have ordered the harness for my Prodigy P3 and installed it but hit a wall when it came time to install it in the compartment in the consol. My question is, where do you run the wires into the compartment? Do you cut a hole in the top or the back? I can't tell by the dasummit's pic. If so, how do you get a hole big enough to run the plug through?
Thanks for your input in advance.

D

41 - 60 of 65 Posts