Diesel Jeep Forum banner

Integrated brake controller

45K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  Audi Bhoy 
#1 ·
New to the forum and considering the new Ecodiesel to do double duty. I need a bigger company vehicle(industrial sales and applications for automation) and would also use it to pull our 27.5' camper that weighs ~4500lbs. Does the new diesel come with a brake controller or will I have to install one as soon as I get it and will that affect the warranty? Any help with this is appreciated. Hopefully looking forward to ordering a new one!!!:)

#52 ·
Bogeyman2B and dasummit, Nice work! I've had my Jeep for a few weeks and just noticed that little ledge and immediately started searching to see if a brake controller would fit in there. Can either of you guys confirm if the dealer does actually have to flash something in the computer for this to work or was it plug and play?

#54 · (Edited)
I too installed my trailer brake controller in the console (2014 JGC Limited) as described above. But I had a hard time finding the Jeep male plug under the dash. The directions with the pigtail noted ""under the instrument panel, left of the steering column, taped back." When I finally found it the plug was wire tied behind another cable. It was difficult to see from below. Here is an image of the approximate location. I turned it into view for this pic. It is very close to a rubber hose (vacuum?) that runs from under the dash through the firewall near the emergency brake peddle. Auto part Floor

#56 ·
Is anyone using the Mopar brake controller? If so how is performance? I would think since it plugs into the vehicle electronics that all sensors used would be on the vehicle, not the controller, and it integrates with the stability controller system. Anybody know if this is correct? I have the factory tow package w/o the air suspension. I've been towing with a rented trailer with surge brakes. It tows a Camaro on a 2000lb uhaul trailer like nothing.
Next year hopefully I will have my own trailer.

#58 ·
I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller which is one of the highest regarded controllers. Although it's gotten limited use in my Overland so far, it seems to perform great. I installed per the video instructions posted on Etrailer, where I purchased the P3. When installing the P3, or other similar units with inertial control, be careful with installation. Per the Tekonsha specs "As long as the P3 controller sits level on a horizontal plane and is pointed in the direction of travel, it will sense - via an internal inertia sensor - how your tow vehicle brakes." Also, you will want to be able to access the manual override, located on the bottom of the controller, for extra braking power on steep downhills. If your controller is sitting in the storage box, without positive attachment, alignment and access to the override button, you may as well not have a brake controller.

#61 ·
I'm going to bring this older thread back to life here hopefully...

I'm in the market for a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with the EcoDiesel. I'm really confused as to the towing capacity of this beast. I know the marketing materials state 7,200lbs for a 4x4 with 720lbs of tongue weight. Down the road I'm looking at a Nash 25C travel trailer that has a dry weight of around 5600lbs.

Where this gets confusing is when one ignores the marketing materials and dives into the real numbers. This wk2jeeps site has specs for the 2016 Overland 4x4 w/ Ecodiesel that states a GVWR of 6,800 lbs, Curb of 5,393 lbs, and payload of 1,170 lbs. So right off the bat, why is the payload only 1,170 when the difference between GVWR and Curb is 1,407 lbs? I've done a lot of research on this topic so I'm not coming here for an easy answer, but one possibility is the curb weight is without a full tank of gas? I've read online that sometimes the manufacturers include a full tank in the curb weight, while some don't...which of these Jeep is isn't quite clear.

Lastly, can someone who has one already provide the individual axle ratings from their door sticker? At a minimum they have to add to 6,800 lbs, but I'm curious as to the distribution of front to rear...

My dream of riding into the distance with my wife (115 lbs), dog (65 lbs), myself (230 lbs and decreasing...hopefully), and my kid that's on the way is slowing fading away. I know I can get a smaller trailer, but I really fell in love with the 4 seasons Nash 25C. Maybe I'll have to get a smaller Nash.

Any advice/comments on the axle ratings or my approach are welcomed. I'll be placing an order here in the next week from the Koons Jeep Grand Cherokee group buy...

#63 ·
In my 2014 Jeep Diesel Grand Cherokee I ordered the trailer package which included the wiring connector for an electric brake controller. The brake controller was not included. My trailer mechanic installed the plug connection that exits from the driver side of the center console forward of the radio, etc on the driver side.
Nothing is displayed on the dash.

With regard to the recommendation in the manual about weight distribution hitch. My trailer mechanic said I did not need to spend the additional $800-$1,000 for that. I tow a 3,000 lb sailboat on a single axle trailer that weights 1,000 -1,500lbs.

Can you confirm whether the Mopar brake controller did in fact integrate with the factory modules to display brake controller information on the dash?

#65 ·
Following Bogeyman2B's quick DIY, I installed my electric brake controller inside the media storage compartment, and it's by far the best place for me since I'll be towing less than 10 times a year!

I have a Canadian Overland Ecodiesel JGC, it came with the grey connector wired already into the truck harness, and I had the wires harness to plug into the truck as well. All I had to do is hook up the controller with the wires and the thing was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.