Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the K&N CAI 63-1570 for their Ecodiesel. Before I buy it I want to know if their Was a difference as far as the performance aspect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it's anything like a dodge with a Cummin's K&N is Junk for a Turbo Diesel because of the Oil in the filter suck's the dirt with it .into Engine ?Atleast that is what I have Understood for year's with a cummin's Diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any long tern updates? MPG increase? How’s the dust in the intake with K&N filter? Issues with air sensor using an oiled filter?

Spoke with Scott at AEM about their intake & lack of 7 Layer Pro-Guard Filter option with our CAI. He’s putting a custom kit together for me, including the 7 Filter. Seems as if they “forgot” to R&D the intercooler pipe (unlike K&N) & will report back when they have a workable design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone done a dyno test on this k&n setup? They claim 12.7hp and 31lb-ft of torque. Those are good numbers (If they are accurate).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have it on mine and I saw a 1.2mpg in all around driving(hand calculated), more turbo sound for sure. No seat of the pants feel in power but mileage was what I was looking for.

On another note, If anyone else has there factory airbox and boost tube I really need one for some warranty work. I would buy or pay to ship to use and ship back if someone would let me use theirs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the K&N Air Intake and larger intercooler pipe. It’s a pretty Nice looking kit. Took me exactly 2hrs to remove the old and install the new kit. Definitely more noise from under the hood, but not bad. At first there wasn’t much difference in MPG but it did have a little more responsive throttle at speed, not much difference off the line. It seemed like it’s taken a few days for the system to adjust to more air coming in. After 4 days of running I have noticed now a 1.5 to 2.5mpg gain around town. I haven’t had it on the highway for a long trip yet. Hoping I will pick up a few MPG’s there as well.
I am running a size larger tire so I was most interested in getting back a few MPGs and hoped to get a little more power as well. I’ve messed with a lot of intakes over the years on different vehicles and honestly unless you are going with a dedicated tuner that specializes in your vehicle most of the factory off the shelf kits don’t do much but look cool. I was not real impressed with this one being open to the elements and heat under the hood but K&N did a pretty good job trying to close off the gaps and sealed it as much as they could with the provided heat shield and rubber molding strip. One thing I did was modify the kit by closing in the bottom of the air heat shield area. They just left it open for air to dump out the bottom. I felt like with their design it would lose a lot of good air. The way this thing is designed is to utilize the factory air scoop to force air to the filter but it’s not perfectly aligned or sealed. It comes with a bracket that your little under hood scoop snaps into which will allow for the scoop to push air near the filter however with the bottom end of the air box gone it dumps a lot of air out the bottom. In theory I guess when you are running the intake is sucking so it may not really be an issue but I figured if it could be closed off even a little it would shield excess heat and force air directly into the filter and intake tube. This kit was nicely engineered but why would they leave that area so exposed especially when the factory had it sealed and closed off from dirt and debris. I felt like Leaving the bottom end of that area open was leaving room for a lot of good air to escape.
I took an old license plate I had laying around the shop and bent and molded it into the bottom where the air box used to be with the slick side up and now it completely covers the bottom and forces all the air to be routed straight into the filter. It’s not a perfect fit but it definitely made an improvement.
Overall I am impressed with the quality of the kit but a little annoyed that K&N didn’t finish out the build and engineer the air filter area better. I would’ve paid a little more for more engineering but overall I am happy with the kit and the gains it’s provided. So far so good.
BTW: those K&N filters are dry even though they feel a little greasy at first. Trying spraying them with electrical cleaner and then blowing them out with compressed air then drying them before installing. I also installed the dust cover over the filter for extra protection. I’ll update in a few months to let everyone know how it’s running. Hope others may find this helpful..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed my K&N CAI very soon after getting my jeep. I will echo what Salvador has said...no huge difference, but a I think a slight upgrade in MPG. For me, on a 600 mile trip, I averaged 75mph and 29.5 MPG. As somewhat of a side note, I hear people talking about MPG all the time, but don't state their average speed. That makes all the difference in the world. Once you exceed 65MPH your fuel economy really starts to drop (I find that the case on pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned). At 65 MPH, I'm sure I'd be at least in the mid 30's on MPG if not better.

I didn't test my 0-60 prior to the CAI, but when I did test it recently, I'm hitting 60 MPH in the very low 7's.

I also have an after market exhaust and plug and play Banks Bullet tune (soon to be removed for a true tune from HD Diesel Supply in Canda).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts