Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum however not new to Jeeps. I'm a proud owner of a 04 WJ Limited w/ Quadra-Drive I. It has been amazing to say the least.

I'm considering a 14 WK2 Diesel Overland and I have a few questions. So I figured I would ask the experts.

1) What is the reality of the 4x4 MPG? US MPG is 21/28 however Canada/Europe rates it much higher. What are you seeing in reality here in the US.

2) Are there any reliability issues that are specific/unique to the diesel option?

3) I do a lot of towing in the summer. I tow single axel enclosed race trailer. The 04 WJ does fine. Will I see a big difference with the WK2 diesel?

4) What is the difference between the Overland and Summit? I'm happy to spend the money, I just don't know what I get for it.

5) Are there any resale issues vs. the V8? Or do the diesel and V8 hold their value the same?

·
Registered
20 Posts
1) I've had mine for 8,000 miles now. I get around 22 MPG in the city and up to 28 on the highway.
2) It was was back in the shop for twelve days only two days after I bought it. It took the boys in Detroit that long to figure out it was the transmission module. However, it has been flawless ever since. I would REALLY recommend the extended warranty considering the electronics involved.
3-5) The Overland had the bells and whistles and off-road stuff I wanted with the diesel. Love it. Re-sale? If it does what I want, that won't happen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can really only answer questions 1 and 2, but I'll give you my experience.

I have a 2014 GC Limited 4x4, purchased July 2014. Right now I have about 22,500 miles on it. I have had a couple of warranty items replaced, but neither were related at all to the diesel engine. (One was front wheel bearings, and the other was a blend door gear in the HVAC system).

I typically get around 25 mpg in mixed driving (mostly in town). On the highway on extended road trips, I can easily get 31 and usually better than that. (My record is 35 mpg from Denver to Des Moines - 750 miles on the tank).

Make sure that if you get a 2014, you have the dealership install all of the software updates. There are several. One dealership here in Denver told me my Jeep was current on software when I knew it wasn't, and another one told me there were 4 updates to install 2 weeks later and there were definite, noticeable changes after the updates. If you test drive it and feel hard downshifts between 3-2 and 2-1 as you come to a stop, there's definitely a software update that fixes that.

Good luck! I love mine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts