Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Jeep GC Diesel. Boston to Ithaca, NY towing 6000lbs. 18.2 MPG. Anyone familiar with the Mass Pike knows the steep constant grade Exit 3 to 2. The Jeep pulled this load effortlessly. (uhaul 2000lb trailer, 02 Camaro 3500lbs, 500lbs tools and spares). Driving to Vermont this week, round trip Boston- Montpelier, VT,
cruise set at 72 mph, 30 MPG did the math at the pump. The computer was a little optimistic at 31.
NOTE TO POTENTIAL BUYERS: the GC loses its big tow rating if not equipped with the factory tow package. It says right in the owners manual. Without the package. 350lb tongue weight. 3500lb load. Dealer after dealer tried to sell me a non tow package GC saying it didn't change the rating. The official Jeep site doesn't make this clear either. If anyone wants to see the owners manual page I can post it. Great truck so far!
2014-09-10_07-48-07_206.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe this 7400 has a lot to do with the weight limits put on rear and front axles. With WDH 7400 without it to transfer half the weight to the front axle 3500. Of course other things count but the 7400 (7200 4X4) could go down under under conditions such as high wind resistance or excessive inclines....... or at least result in an eye on temp gauges.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
WDH, sorry didn't know what that was. The low center of gravity car trailer with minimal frontal area and good weight distribution I am sure is what is making my tow super easy.
BTW: The gauges are great on this thing. You can watch oil temp, trans temp, tire pressure.

Everything stayed cool for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A weight-distribution hitch (WDH) is a set of torsion bars that shift weight to the front axle..... they also serve as anti sway.... they are not the rear load leveling suspension. As far as I know they are mandatory with a trailer over 3500 pounds. I don't use one because my trailer is under 3500 pounds and I rely on the anti-sway built into the vehicle. I have one in my shed but its complicates hooking up. Your trailer looks well balanced and perhaps the tongue weight is below 350. Still the manual does state that it is required.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'll be checking into this when I get my own trailer. The uhaul seems pretty foolproof.
Any recommendations on brake controllers? This one has surge brakes, but I'll be getting one with electric brakes next season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts