Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to come up with my ideal vehicle for two years. All my wants exceeded my pocket book and room to store them.

In August I pulled the trigger and ordered a GC diesel with Luxury and Adventure packages that has been in the Final Inspection stage at the plant for two weeks. To some degree it meets all my wants: comfort; mileage; towing capacity; flat towable; off road use with lots of idling; and, ease of access with variable ground clearance. Yes, I paid a premium and it will take a year to figure out if my wants have been met. This is my first Jeep and my second diesel.

My first purchase will be a seven year extended warranty to help maintain all the bells and whistles.

As a retiree and relatively new to the desert, I don't plan on anything extreme, just a lot of exploring. While I am still able, summers will be in Pacific Northwest--particularly the beaches.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's about the same time frame I have been looking. And like you I have decided on this vehicle. But I don't retire ( if that's the right word ) until next year. Then I plan on doing what I call the Louis L'Amour tour..... starting in the Blue Ridge and working my down to Brownsville then across and up the Pacific coast to Vancouver. But I want to optimize MPG and am ordering a 4x2 Limited with towing package. But I do plan on crossing your desert... perhaps more than once.... I am going to purchase the best telescope I can afford and go to where the stars are brightest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Jeep pre-order! From everything I've read I still believe the Diesel Cherokee will be a great value over the long haul. Not to mention it's just neat having a diesel under the hood!

What color did you order? What part of the desert are you from?

I have been trying to come up with my ideal vehicle for two years. All my wants exceeded my pocket book and room to store them.

In August I pulled the trigger and ordered a GC diesel with Luxury and Adventure packages that has been in the Final Inspection stage at the plant for two weeks. To some degree it meets all my wants: comfort; mileage; towing capacity; flat towable; off road use with lots of idling; and, ease of access with variable ground clearance. Yes, I paid a premium and it will take a year to figure out if my wants have been met. This is my first Jeep and my second diesel.

My first purchase will be a seven year extended warranty to help maintain all the bells and whistles.

As a retiree and relatively new to the desert, I don't plan on anything extreme, just a lot of exploring. While I am still able, summers will be in Pacific Northwest--particularly the beaches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's about the same time frame I have been looking. And like you I have decided on this vehicle. But I don't retire ( if that's the right word ) until next year. Then I plan on doing what I call the Louis L'Amour tour..... starting in the Blue Ridge and working my down to Brownsville then across and up the Pacific coast to Vancouver. But I want to optimize MPG and am ordering a 4x2 Limited with towing package. But I do plan on crossing your desert... perhaps more than once.... I am going to purchase the best telescope I can afford and go to where the stars are brightest.
Enjoy your upcoming retirement. I am sure you deserve only the best.

Prior to to purchasing a home here for a base, I spent five years full-timing in a motor home criss-crossing the great Lower 48 states in a motorhome with a towable. I still have the motorhome but wanted to have capability of going to a trailer of some sort if I can figure out what I want--just wanted to keep my options open. No telescope, but I did spend a Christmas Eve in the middle of nowhere under the most beautiful heavens you could imagine.

My Jeep will be Cashmere Pearl with the New Zealand Black.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My first choice when I was much younger was a cruising sailboat in the south pacific Sally Fields as my first mate...... But that didn't work out..... But for now I think I'm following my best options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first choice when I was much younger was a cruising sailboat in the south pacific Sally Fields as my first mate...... But that didn't work out..... But for now I think I'm following my best options.
I am a little slow on the uptake (might be my age and stage), but I don't get the point. Don't we all usually follow what we perceive as our best options? Or, rationalize that that we have. Anyway worst case scenario, we we were wrong. In that case we apply the bigger fool maxim; pass off our mistakes to a bigger fool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts