Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys just picked up a 2014 granite summit today. The vehicle has just under 32K miles with the black interior. I had test drove a 3.6L summit yesterday and didnt really like the performance as i do with the diesel. Didnt go with the 5.7 due to my job transferring me out to California in March where i'll be stationed at for the next 4 years and the high gas prices out there.

I wanted something I'd would be able to tow my other vehicles with and have a nice comfortable cabin area. I initially was looking at either a tacoma or a 4Runner but didnt like how i felt inside of either one. I decided to give Jeep a try and so far so good. This is also my very first diesel so there is a lot to learn

Any advice on some mods or add-ons i might want to look into?

1218151516.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
I see you have 32K (leaving you 4K on the 'Bumper to Bumper warranty). You might definitely want to consider 'doubling' the bumper to bumper to 72K! Its cost should be approximately ~$1500 to $1700.

- Also important to have 'latest updates' installed! The 14's were first year and the main problem areas were the DEF system and catalytic converter* (*improved version should be available under warranty if it gives trouble).
- Here is info for latest 'Engine related' update: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1809415.pdf
- Use a 'diesel supplement' to improve performance and keep fuel system clean and reduce soot buildup. Here is one I use regularly: Opti-Lube XPD Diesel Fuel Improver | The Best Diesel Fuel Additive

Hope this gets you started out on right foot, anyway. I really like mine- It just does everything well !

(As a side note the Mercedes GL350 and Jeep were developed 'together'. I was told many components (rear suspension,etc) are 'identical').

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thought I'd add this (since you are new to 'diesels') ONLY FUEL AND SUPPLEMENTS INTO FUEL TANK - AND ONLY DEF INTO DEF TANK! Some 'newbie' owners have dumped DEF into fuel and 'supplements' into DEF tank!) $$$$$$$$ to mend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did purchase the additional bumper to bumper coverage you stated.
It did go in for the R40 recall and according to the moparownerconnect none of the other recalls affect it.
How would i verify if its had any work under a bulletin?
Thanks for the recommendation on the additive. How often do you use it? every oil change?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks like you should be in good shape! Any Jeep dealer should be able to check on any service performed on it. Here is owner's link that should give you same results for any TSB's performed:

Owners Login

I use supplement on every fill up - about 5 ounces per 20 gallons- but if used maybe every 3-months- it probably should keep things cleaned up. If you live in 'cold climate' you would want to use it every fill for anti gel properties- they also have a winter formula good to -50. I started right up last winter after it sat overnight @ -17 F.

I bought funnel at auto parts store and carry it in a 'runners water jug' that it fits into perfectly. Also carry some 'wet wipes' is always handy for anything got on hands. Other people pointed out it is good idea to purchase fuel at a 'high volume' outlet vs small 'mom and pop' places to avoid potential contamination- and keep your receipt just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you should be in good shape! Any Jeep dealer should be able to check on any service performed on it. Here is owner's link that should give you same results for any TSB's performed:

Owners Login

I use supplement on every fill up - about 5 ounces per 20 gallons- but if used maybe every 3-months- it probably should keep things cleaned up. If you live in 'cold climate' you would want to use it every fill for anti gel properties- they also have a winter formula good to -50. I started right up last winter after it sat overnight @ -17 F.

I bought funnel at auto parts store and carry it in a 'runners water jug' that it fits into perfectly. Also carry some 'wet wipes' is always handy for anything got on hands. Other people pointed out it is good idea to purchase fuel at a 'high volume' outlet vs small 'mom and pop' places to avoid potential contamination- and keep your receipt just in case.
Yes I've registered into that site and the only recall that was done and that is applicable to my vehicle was the radio software upgrade. Other than that it shows no other recalls are applicable to my vehicle.

Wow every fill up seema a bit excessive, I'll def give the product a try maybe start off with using it at every oil change or twice between oil changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts