Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to Diesel jeeps here. Seriously considering purchasing a new GCD. Coming from a wrangler with 245k on it and not one problem. Main reason for the switch is the fuel gains. I just am having some reserves about reliability of GCD. I am hearing some horror stories about DEF problems, cat, problems, and check engine lights, oh yea and the DEF gauge at the bottom of the car. Coming from a Wrangler with no issues it scares me. So if any of you guys have any insight for me I would really appreciate it. Also, one direct question. Does the 2015 GCD have a new cat on it? Or will I have to get it replaced with the new vehicle. ?

Thanks JEEP LOVERS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys. New to Diesel jeeps here. Seriously considering purchasing a new GCD. Coming from a wrangler with 245k on it and not one problem. Main reason for the switch is the fuel gains. I just am having some reserves about reliability of GCD. I am hearing some horror stories about DEF problems, cat, problems, and check engine lights, oh yea and the DEF gauge at the bottom of the car. Coming from a Wrangler with no issues it scares me. So if any of you guys have any insight for me I would really appreciate it. Also, one direct question. Does the 2015 GCD have a new cat on it? Or will I have to get it replaced with the new vehicle. ?

Thanks JEEP LOVERS
I have a '14, and I am very pleased with it, finally. I do not think the fix was to just replace the converter, though that was the last piece of the puzzle. Before that, there were problems with the DEF system and related engine management systems. I think, not sure, that by the time the early issues were sorted, the converter had already become compromised. That is to say, maybe the converter was not the initial problem but ultimately became a necessary part of the solution. So, are '15's similarly afflicted? It probably has a lot to do with the build date, but I do not know when the cutoff would be. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks so much for the descriptive reply! So I guess if I run into problems I will just have to deal with the repairs. Hopefully not. I assume you have a 4wd system? If so what kind of fuel mileage do you get and how many miles per tank? Also what are some of your favorite things about the vehicle and some of the negatives? Thanks! :) OIIIIIIIO

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey thanks so much for the descriptive reply! So I guess if I run into problems I will just have to deal with the repairs. Hopefully not. I assume you have a 4wd system? If so what kind of fuel mileage do you get and how many miles per tank? Also what are some of your favorite things about the vehicle and some of the negatives? Thanks! :) OIIIIIIIO
Thank you. I have the Summit. I think 4wd is standard on it. Mileage, combined, is usually around 22-23 mpg. On road trips it approaches 30, depending on speed (70 mph avg.) and conditions. I think we get around miles 600+/tank, or something near that. I like the comfort, safety features, quality of fit & finish and the design. The only negatives were the initial frustrations with sorting out the emissions problems. That was very frustrating. I blame corporate Jeep for that; they brought it to market without adequate "real life" testing. Well, I guess we were the "real life" test! I think my dealership did all they knew to do. I probably came out relatively unscathed. Judging by other posts, there are many owners that are not as forgiving. Ultimately, this turned out to exactly be the car I wanted. Wasn't sure I'd ever say that a year ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the useful info. I'm glad to hear your found the right truck. Hopefully if I purchase one I will feel the same too. If you don't mind answering a few more questions. What kind of routine maintenance do you do on the truck? Oil change mileage ? DEF fluid fillups? Fuel additives ? ect?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the useful info. I'm glad to hear your found the right truck. Hopefully if I purchase one I will feel the same too. If you don't mind answering a few more questions. What kind of routine maintenance do you do on the truck? Oil change mileage ? DEF fluid fillups? Fuel additives ? ect?
I have the dealer take care of it as specified.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some of my observations on a 14': I have 12,000 on now. I've gotten all TSB's applied as they came up- and no trouble with CAT (yet, anyway). My dealer's service department seems to be 'a good one'- I think a lot of the troubles come from 'incompetent' ones. I've been using Opti-lube XPF - which keep things clean and lubricated- about 5oz for each 18-20 gallon fill up- low sulfur diesel lacks the 'lubricating' quality of the old stuff. It also lowers freeze point and boosts cetane rating. For Oil changes- it has a 'Oil minder' which computes its life by your driving- but I think I'll get done 5000 to 7000K. The oil is SPECIAL- it is designed to not harm the turbo-charger if any is introduced into it from normal 'blow-by'. You can change yourself and save $$$- but make sure you document the fact you used the right stuff. (For that mater- keep all your receipts - even on fill-ups because you might come up with some 'contaminated diesel' which would be $$$$. One suggestion on board is to always fill up at a 'high volume' place.

For DEF- I use Valvoline Premium (which is made by Victory). I keep tank around 1/2 and bring back up to that when it drops under 20%. Had absolutely no problems this past winter- started and ran great every time- even on a -17 degree morning in PA. I think most problems are worked out- especially since the Ram ECO is so popular.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of my observations on a 14': I have 12,000 on now. I've gotten all TSB's applied as they came up- and no trouble with CAT (yet, anyway). My dealer's service department seems to be 'a good one'- I think a lot of the troubles come from 'incompetent' ones. I've been using Opti-lube XPF - which keep things clean and lubricated- about 5oz for each 18-20 gallon fill up- low sulfur diesel lacks the 'lubricating' quality of the old stuff. It also lowers freeze point and boosts cetane rating. For Oil changes- it has a 'Oil minder' which computes its life by your driving- but I think I'll get done 5000 to 7000K. The oil is SPECIAL- it is designed to not harm the turbo-charger if any is introduced into it from normal 'blow-by'. You can change yourself and save $$$- but make sure you document the fact you used the right stuff. (For that mater- keep all your receipts - even on fill-ups because you might come up with some 'contaminated diesel' which would be $$$$. One suggestion on board is to always fill up at a 'high volume' place.

For DEF- I use Valvoline Premium (which is made by Victory). I keep tank around 1/2 and bring back up to that when it drops under 20%. Had absolutely no problems this past winter- started and ran great every time- even on a -17 degree morning in PA. I think most problems are worked out- especially since the Ram ECO is so popular.
Brewster,

Thanks for the descriptive response. Like you I am a strong believer of filling up at high volume gas places. Right now I am torn between using opti-lube xpf and power service. Also what kind of fuel injector cleaner do you use and how often?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also what color bottle of Opti Lube do you use ? do you use the different colors for different seasons?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi- I bought the XPD - (1 gallon jug with the hand pump). For winter I got a 8 oz '6-pack' winter formula- which is good to -50 F ! Like I mentioned - I had no problems with fuel or DEF so far.

Another interesting fact is the Grand Cherokee and Mercedes M-class were developed together- in fact I was told rear suspensions are 'identical'. It's regarded as the 'best collaboration' between Chrysler and Daimler. All in all this is the best vehicle I've owned- it just does everything well !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts