Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am new to writing and using forums, but I need some help.

I have JGC 03 CRD 2.7 WJ.

On cold start first thing in the morning 98% of the time it won't start with out using cold start sprayed into the Air Box.

Once fired up and warmed up it will restart again but takes a quite a few turns to start up, it sounds and feels that it's starving of fuel. There is very little smoke and just the odd white puff of smoke on start up.

I have removed and re-sealed the HP pump, changed the glow plugs (and found 2 out) changed all filter including fuel filter.

General driving I am loosing no power or MPG, drive like a dream.

I am pulling what little hair I have left out stressing over this, any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gav

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like a bad/weak glow plug or plugs. The other reason you won't like...low compression. Worn rings won't make enough compression to fire when cold but once warm, will seal better and restart. The puff of white smoke can be engine oil burning which leans towards worn rings. Fuel smoke is black. I have an old Ford tractor that requires starting fluid to fire when cold. It has no glow plugs but has 22:1 compression and will fire in warm weather just fine. Cold oil is thick so it can't crank fast enough to make compression in the winter. A sniff of ether and off she goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will a look at the glow plugs and again and check the module, I have a feeling it's fuel related. But cannot be sure until explore some more.

It is driving me mad now.

Thanks for your advise
ExcursionDiesel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your welcome. Heres a quick test. If you have low compression, your rings are allowing exhaust gas to escape past the rings...especially when cold. Take the oil fill cap off soon after it starts and check for smoke coming from the crankcase. There will be some. Check it again after its warm. If there is significantly less, this is a sign of the cylinders not sealing well when cold.

I doubt its a fuel issue or you would have loss of power during acceleration. Its probably glow plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts