Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Not to be a conspiracy minded but before this announcement I went in for a 36K service and they "bricked" (their term not mine) my PCM during a "routine OTA (over the air) update" and the Jeep dealer had to replace the entire module. The service manager stated "...i have never seen this happen before..". My understanding is this module contains firmware related to emissions. I noticed that my mileage went down +15% (29 hwy --> 24 hwy) and my range decreased but didn't connect anything until after the announcements. if this is related the "fix" looks like it has a significant negative effects on mileage.

Feedback of any similar experience is appreciated
Similar problem here. I lost 5-6mpg since the shifter recall was done this past Summer on my 2014 GC. My mileage has drop to as low as 16.5mpg in Dec and I have not been able to get >20mpg. Right now it's seems to get roughly 19mpg most times. I've been back and forth to the dear several times for this and other issues. I have an open case with Jeep on numerous issues and as of yesterday the feedback on the star case was that nothing is wrong since it seems that I've got the update that will apply to the 2017's. They said the 2017's will be rated at 15mpg city and 25mpg highway.

Needless to say I'm furious and feel that I've been deceived. This Jeep has been a disaster for me. It's has had so many problems and I only have 29K on it. Nothing like my 2002 Jeep Liberty where nothing broke for the first 90K and that my daughter is still driving at 180K. I don't think this 2014 will last 50K.

· Registered
6 Posts
Here is an interesting twist on the EPA investigation as relates to the value of our Ecodiesels. I went to the selling dealer of my GC Summit which is in excellent condition with 33000 miles on it.. I spotted a new Hard Rock Rubicon on the lot and asked the salesman about trading the GC for it. He excused himself and then returned, saying the sales manager said they would not take the GC on trade at this time at any price, due to pending emission issues. He then asked if I had gotten it smog checked recently. It is coming due for that in June. This is concerning! Has anyone else had this come up. I am in Southern California and am going to have it smog checked early just to see what happens. These are great cars with real benefits in comfort and fuel mileage but I fear they have lost much value due to this EPA mess.

· Registered
19 Posts
Well that information provided by Falco1 certainly warms the heart and soul...ugh! Sir, I trust that your dealer is but overly paranoid and will come to his senses or is operating under inaccurate information. Otherwise, I fear a long and protracted class action lawsuit could be in our future. I personally have a new 2016 GC Summit Diesel, purchased October 10, 2016, and it only has 2,300 miles... and we love it. The only negative issue that I have ever had with this vehicle, is all of the bad press!!! Nevertheless, thank you for the info!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Here is an interesting twist on the EPA investigation as relates to the value of our Ecodiesels. I went to the selling dealer of my GC Summit which is in excellent condition with 33000 miles on it.. I spotted a new Hard Rock Rubicon on the lot and asked the salesman about trading the GC for it. He excused himself and then returned, saying the sales manager said they would not take the GC on trade at this time at any price, due to pending emission issues. He then asked if I had gotten it smog checked recently. It is coming due for that in June. This is concerning! Has anyone else had this come up. I am in Southern California and am going to have it smog checked early just to see what happens. These are great cars with real benefits in comfort and fuel mileage but I fear they have lost much value due to this EPA mess.
Because of all the problems I've had with my 2014 GC with 29K miles on it I tried to trade it for a similar 2017 with the base gasoline V6. Kelly Blue Book calls for 28K on my trade. The dealer did not really want it and would only offer me 22K for it. He claimed that any day now there might be an edic stating that dealers cannot sell these vehicles new or used until everything is straightened out. He was concerned that he could get stuck with the vehicle for 6 or more months so he would wholesale it right away. Now I don't know if that is true or he was just using a sales tactic but nevertheless it's not good for us owners in terms of perception.

And honestly, after this experience, the poor reliability rating in Consumer Reports, and Feb 23rd Newsday article (pgA35) that quotes J.D. Power showing Jeep as being the least dependable (only Fiat was worse) with 298 defects per 100 vehicles, I'm done as a Jeep owner. I'll keep this one for two more years until the warranty is up and then dump it and move on to a better brand.

· Registered
6 Posts
Because of all the problems I've had with my 2014 GC with 29K miles on it I tried to trade it for a similar 2017 with the base gasoline V6. Kelly Blue Book calls for 28K on my trade. The dealer did not really want it and would only offer me 22K for it. He claimed that any day now there might be an edic stating that dealers cannot sell these vehicles new or used until everything is straightened out. He was concerned that he could get stuck with the vehicle for 6 or more months so he would wholesale it right away. Now I don't know if that is true or he was just using a sales tactic but nevertheless it's not good for us owners in terms of perception.

And honestly, after this experience, the poor reliability rating in Consumer Reports, and Feb 23rd Newsday article (pgA35) that quotes J.D. Power showing Jeep as being the least dependable (only Fiat was worse) with 298 defects per 100 vehicles, I'm done as a Jeep owner. I'll keep this one for two more years until the warranty is up and then dump it and move on to a better brand.
Well that information provided by Falco1 certainly warms the heart and soul...ugh! Sir, I trust that your dealer is but overly paranoid and will come to his senses or is operating under inaccurate information. Otherwise, I fear a long and protracted class action lawsuit could be in our future. I personally have a new 2016 GC Summit Diesel, purchased October 10, 2016, and it only has 2,300 miles... and we love it. The only negative issue that I have ever had with this vehicle, is all of the bad press!!! Nevertheless, thank you for the info!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
To update, I took my GC diesel in this morning to local smog test station and it passed no problem. I knew it would but was concerned CARB here in socal might have changed parameters or something as to where they might not pass. Mechanic at test station wasn't even aware of epa issues. At least I can get my tags for the next 2 years. That was a relief but doesn't address the resale issues and bad press holding down values on what is otherwise an excellent vehicle. I am also concerned any fix will alter mileage and performance! We will see.. I am going to talk to the local Jeep dealer again soon about the no trade in policy etc, just to see what they know.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes - Volkswagen owners settlement 'guaranteed same trade in value as before the issue came to light' -along with $5K check for 'owner inconvenience'. Latest news seems to indicate a solution might be 'at hand' , though. I think FCA should still be forced to pay something 'for owner inconvenience'- and any possible loss due to the 'bad press' that would still effect trade-in value!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.