Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the great things about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is the torque and towing ability. I was curious what kind of mileage are you getting with your Jeep? Can you post the weight of your trailer? Average speeds? and Fuel Mileage? An example would be a 4100 lbs camper, at 65 mph, got 21 mpg on a flat road.

It would be great to see some real world examples!

Thank you so much for posting!

Bill

;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
For me towing is what its all about. But I'm confused in regards to the 7400 Max 6200 normal. I'm kinda thinking it may mean 7400 to pull the boat out of the water and 6200 to take it down the highway. And I believe they are addressing the 2x4 with factory class IV tow package.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When they are referring to MAX and normal they are talking about a "properly equipped" vehicle. For the WK2 that means a few things:

1) Motor - While the V6 will probably tow the 7,200 lbs it won't do it long and is considered under powered
2) Drive Train - Motor isn't everything. You also have an upgraded transmission cooler and engine cooling.
Larger alternator (not sure that helps in towing but it does when your stopped, have a trailer hooked up running lights.
Axle Ratios 3.45 for V8 and 3.09 for V6 again better towing

I am sure I am missing a bunch of things. People always forget one important aspect of towing...While you might be able to tow 10,000+ lbs with your vehicle it is the ability to safely control and stopping that weight that makes the difference

·
Registered
164 Posts
But I have not seen this "standard" vs "max" reference used before..... And you can cool things all you want.... If the transmission is not mechanically designed to handle the torque it will not handle the torque.. I'm wondering if there might be a little verbal gymnastics on the part of Fiat going on here. Diesel Grand Cherokees will probably be less than 10% of Grand Cherokees sold in 2014 and 4x2's less than 5% of those. So a Grand Cherokee that can tow 7400 pounds and gets 30 miles per gal when not towing will be virtually a concept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be great to hear some of the people who have the Diesel Jeep and has done some towing. I did speak with a local Dealer's service department (not sales) and they had a table on the computer that describe the towing mileage. They mentioned at 5000 lbs the mileage would be 18 mpg. SO that is not too bad. Again it would be good to see a real life confirmation.

I think the maximum I would tow would be in the 4000 to 6000 range. It is likely better to be well under the total capability of 7200 lbs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm thinking when the #'s do start coming in that 20 plus or minus 2 is probably where its going to be. But for no reason than Personal preferences I do not think the towed should be heavier than the towing vehicle. So for me 6500 capacity would be O.K. At present I tow approx 4000 with a 2000 Honda Odyssey which is rated at 3500. And I get about 12 MPG. 18 would look good 22 a miracle. Since I hope to get a 4x2, in theory, I should get 2 MPG more than the 4x4. I wan't to upgrade to a bigger trailer with a slide but have no desire to drive a truck. Since I am going to winterize the trailer soon I do not need of a tow vehicle until spring. My everyday vehicle is a Prius which is supposed to get 50 mpg but gets 45 when my wife drives it and 55 when I do. I have played around and got 78 for awhile but pissed off a lot of people trying to get pass me. I'm probably going to do better than the average driver cause I'm old and never in a hurry.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The way I understand it is that if a towed item be it a trailer or boat weights more than half the towing vehicle then a weight distribution hitch (WDH) should be used. I believe some trailer manufacturers require them and I suppose someday the DOT will have something to say about it, if not already.

The VW Touareg claims to tow 7700 pounds but the users manual says not to use a WDH which would place it's practical if not legal capacity at 3850.

This, I believe, would not apply to the JGC because the hitch connects to the frame in such a manner that it can take the stress that WDH applies to the hitch.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When (and perhaps I should say if) Diesel JGC's start towing things I would like to know where those of you who are using brake controllers are mounting them. I am ordering mine with the tow package so the only thing I should need is a controller. I have looked at the dash in the standard JGC at a dealer and didn't see any obvious locations. Of course anyone with a late model JGC who has a controller installed would be able to answer this.... Perhaps I should look for a non diesel JGC forum. Should be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RioGrande,
I too am very interested in knowing what typical towing fuel economy numbers are. I have a 6400# trailer and plan on getting a new diesel JGC to use primarily for towing. I asked Jeep/Chrysler corporate for any towing fuel data they may have accumulated at their test track, and to my surprise, they wrote back saying they never tested for that and don't have any numbers for me... Based on the laws of physics, I'm assuming that if I double the vehicle's weight by adding a trailer, then my fuel economy will be cut in half (as it is on my current gas powered tow rig). We'll see. Anyone yet have any numbers for us? :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I placed my order this weekend.... I have received no feedback or noted any info here as of yet. It will be a few months before I will have any useful data. But ?I believe the Touarag is close enough in specs to reference. And what I'm seeing would be 20 plus or minus 2.
RioGrande,
I too am very interested in knowing what typical towing fuel economy numbers are. I have a 6400# trailer and plan on getting a new diesel JGC to use primarily for towing. I asked Jeep/Chrysler corporate for any towing fuel data they may have accumulated at their test track, and to my surprise, they wrote back saying they never tested for that and don't have any numbers for me... Based on the laws of physics, I'm assuming that if I double the vehicle's weight by adding a trailer, then my fuel economy will be cut in half (as it is on my current gas powered tow rig). We'll see. Anyone yet have any numbers for us? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I placed my order this weekend.... I have received no feedback or noted any info here as of yet. It will be a few months before I will have any useful data. But ?I believe the Touarag is close enough in specs to reference. And what I'm seeing would be 20 plus or minus 2.
I'm looking at the fully loaded (except no rear entertainment or CD) Overland 2WD diesel as the best value for all the comforts and performance I'll need. What about you?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Limited... 2wd.... Tow packet and engine block heater. 39,948. including Destination. 995. It's the diesel I'm after not the 4x4. The fact it comes wrapped in such a nice package all the better. I ordered white to match my trailer.
I'm looking at the fully loaded (except no rear entertainment or CD) Overland 2WD diesel as the best value for all the comforts and performance I'll need. What about you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Towing a 8.5' x 16' vnose enclosed trailer with one snowmobile total weight about 3400lbs I saw 12.5 mpg. Plenty of power cruising at 68/70 mph. Casper asked where to mount the brake controller - I mounted mine (Tekonsha® 90195 - P3™ Electronic Brake Control) on the lower left side of the knee bolster to the left of the knee airbag. Be careful where you mount it as too high and it will block the gas (diesel) cover release button. Took 1/2 hour to install with my plug n play connector cable from my '11 GC.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Towing a 8.5' x 16' vnose enclosed trailer with one snowmobile total weight about 3400lbs I saw 12.5 mpg. Plenty of power cruising at 68/70 mph. Casper asked where to mount the brake controller - I mounted mine (Tekonsha® 90195 - P3™ Electronic Brake Control) on the lower left side of the knee bolster to the left of the knee airbag. Be careful where you mount it as too high and it will block the gas (diesel) cover release button. Took 1/2 hour to install with my plug n play connector cable from my '11 GC.
I looked there but decided to go to the right and a little higher... the cable hangs across the top left of the air bag cover... there are really not a lot of options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked there but decided to go to the right and a little higher... the cable hangs across the top left of the air bag cover... there are really not a lot of options.
I understand. I didn't want anything in front of the airbag in case it deployed and the brake controller became a projectile.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It sits high enough so that that is not a problem... and I have the wire taped away until I can get to a store to purchase a couple of sticky back clamps. I would have preferred right hand side but it will do. Also I can see the display through the Steering wheel and it's a comfortable reach. My concern now is MPG. So far no 4x2 reporting in. I think there will be a noticeable difference. A note though... the 4X2 like all front engine rear drives needs a few sand bags in the rear to handle snow... rear end is too light and I'm thinking the extra weight of the diesel makes it worse.... but I'm really liking mine and am thinking of making a 5X5 logo to go where the 4X4 would be if it was a 4X4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Towing approximately 6400 pounds, 28' TT.
15.1 MPG at 55-60 MPH.

15-20 MPH tailwind last Friday we averaged 17.4 MPG pulling 150 miles...mostly flat...but had head and cross winds on return trip...not much fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Towing approximately 6400 pounds, 28' TT.
15.1 MPG at 55-60 MPH.

15-20 MPH tailwind last Friday we averaged 17.4 MPG pulling 150 miles...mostly flat...but had head and cross winds on return trip...not much fun.
We just completed a 4200 mile round-trip from Northern Wisconsin to Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley. We towed a 21 foot TT, 4700 lbs estimated weight fully loaded for the trip, with WDH and anti-sway bar. We stayed on 2-lane roads most the way, except for a stretch of interstate from North Platte, Nebraska to the cut-off to Moab on Utah Route 128 from I-70 ( a must-see scenic route). We drove over Loveland and Vail passes going out and Wolf Creek Pass coming back. We had the full variety of head winds, tail winds, and no winds, so I figure the wind factor sort of cancelled out. We drove with "eco" on and kept our speed between 55 and 65 mph, depending on conditions, mostly trying to keep the rpms in the 1500 - 2500 range. We don't like to drive any faster pulling the trailer. The car cruised mostly in 7th gear, moving to 8th on flatter terrain with little headwind. When going up long, steep (7%-8%) inclines to the high mountain passes, we found that holding to 2000 or so rpm's caused a drop in speed to 30-40 mph , but we also found that forcing the car above this level of rpm's to increase our speed on these long inclines caused the temperature guage needle to come to the very edge of the hot zone on the heat guage. Staying around 2000 rpm's on these long steep grades gave us plenty of power, and the car cruised uphill effortlessly towing the trail at this level of rpm's, with the oil temp topping out at 246 degrees and the heat guage needle holding steady at the halfway mark of the third quarter of the temperature guage. We got 17 mpg for the whole trip (see photo), but we did a little driving around while unhitched, and my back-of-the-napkin math figures that the trailer-only mpg was about 16 mpg. Love this car!
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6439.JPG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts