Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just back from a trip to Nashville pulling our 3500 lb Lance 1575 TT with my new Summit. Set the cruise at 70 mph both ways and got 14.6 on the way down and almost 16 mpg on the way back. Mostly flat with a few rolling hills. Used the manual mode and kept it in 8th for most of the trip. On a couple of long grades had to put it in 7th. Couldn't be happier...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now have taken two, 10 day trips.. Each one about 1500 miles with rolling hills and elevations to 3500'. Rarely any flat highway. Trailer is 23' and weighs loaded approx. 4400lbs. Typical driving speed of 60-65 mph. Using a Reese WDH with sway. Limited, ecodiesel , 4x4 No problems at all....
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Compact sport utility vehicle
Average 15 mpg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is the new set up! got 16 MPH first time towing. Engine not broken in yet. View attachment 264
how many miles on it when you first towed it? Doesn't is say something in the manual about waiting 500 miles before towing anything. Give the engine a little run in time and brakes too?? Cant remember what it exactly says....Looks like a similar set up to mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the great things about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is the torque and towing ability. I was curious what kind of mileage are you getting with your Jeep? Can you post the weight of your trailer? Average speeds? and Fuel Mileage? An example would be a 4100 lbs camper, at 65 mph, got 21 mpg on a flat road.

It would be great to see some real world examples!

Thank you so much for posting!

Bill

;)
I have 54,000 miles on my ecocrap and Im broke down on the side of the freeway because my ecocrap overheated with a 6000lb pontoon. Everyone beware of this horrible garbage of an engine. I never have had a diesel overheat so easily, there are no leaks mind you, it is not designed to tow anything really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It will be great to hear some of the people who have the Diesel Jeep and has done some towing. I did speak with a local Dealer's service department (not sales) and they had a table on the computer that describe the towing mileage. They mentioned at 5000 lbs the mileage would be 18 mpg. SO that is not too bad. Again it would be good to see a real life confirmation.

I think the maximum I would tow would be in the 4000 to 6000 range. It is likely better to be well under the total capability of 7200 lbs.
I have a 2015 JGC diesel 4x2. On the highway consistently get 30 to 31 mpg. My only tow experience so far has been towing my old 2004 JGC 4x4 on a trailer with some other items inside the old Jeep. Towing this 6300# from Augusta, GA to Kankakee, IL with the new Jeep loaded, we averaged 21.2 MPG. Hilly around Chattanoga, but lots of flat IL interstate. I was surprised. Was thinking I would be in the teens, but it isn't like pulling a travel trailer catching more wind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the great things about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is the torque and towing ability. I was curious what kind of mileage are you getting with your Jeep? Can you post the weight of your trailer? Average speeds? and Fuel Mileage? An example would be a 4100 lbs camper, at 65 mph, got 21 mpg on a flat road.

It would be great to see some real world examples!

Thank you so much for posting!

Bill

;)
I have the 2015 JGC Limited 2WD class IV tow package. When I went to pick up a tow trailer, U-Haul questioned my tow limits. Besides in my manual, where on the vehicle is a max load limit stenciled?? I looked over and under, in the door stickers and could not find. Eventually I convinced a mgr that it would handle the load. Would apprec someone's knowledge or experience on this.

Thanks,
Dwight

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought U-haul had it in their data base. I have picked up trailers multiple times no questions asked. To include a tow trailer for a Vehicle. Which by the way it handles very nicely. I also have a 4x2 with tow packet. When pulling my trailer I get somewhere between 18 and 21 mpg around 62 mph. Depending on road conditions and wind speed. I believe when it comes to towing its not all about weight. I tend to use the MPG indicator to set the cruise control more so than the speedometer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just completed a 4200 mile round-trip from Northern Wisconsin to Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley. We towed a 21 foot TT, 4700 lbs estimated weight fully loaded for the trip, with WDH and anti-sway bar. We stayed on 2-lane roads most the way, except for a stretch of interstate from North Platte, Nebraska to the cut-off to Moab on Utah Route 128 from I-70 ( a must-see scenic route). We drove over Loveland and Vail passes going out and Wolf Creek Pass coming back. We had the full variety of head winds, tail winds, and no winds, so I figure the wind factor sort of cancelled out. We drove with "eco" on and kept our speed between 55 and 65 mph, depending on conditions, mostly trying to keep the rpms in the 1500 - 2500 range. We don't like to drive any faster pulling the trailer. The car cruised mostly in 7th gear, moving to 8th on flatter terrain with little headwind. When going up long, steep (7%-8%) inclines to the high mountain passes, we found that holding to 2000 or so rpm's caused a drop in speed to 30-40 mph , but we also found that forcing the car above this level of rpm's to increase our speed on these long inclines caused the temperature guage needle to come to the very edge of the hot zone on the heat guage. Staying around 2000 rpm's on these long steep grades gave us plenty of power, and the car cruised uphill effortlessly towing the trail at this level of rpm's, with the oil temp topping out at 246 degrees and the heat guage needle holding steady at the halfway mark of the third quarter of the temperature guage. We got 17 mpg for the whole trip (see photo), but we did a little driving around while unhitched, and my back-of-the-napkin math figures that the trailer-only mpg was about 16 mpg. Love this car! View attachment 76 View attachment 75
Great to hear this. I just bought an 18 overland, our rv is almost identical in size and Weights. I always had a f150 and found it effortless, I am excited to see ours in action. Would you suggest anything to make the experience safer and more efficient ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.