Diesel Jeep Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got back from the dealership and the culprit seems to be a stuck closed EGR Valve. According to the dealers this is an Special Order Part and of course its on back order. They also menthion that the EGR will be the newly redesigned part. Shitty part is im limited to how often i can drive to vehicle, cause if it goes into regen it wont be able to complete it and go into limp mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Joe (at post #146),
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel with 73K miles. I used to get 28-32 mpg between city driving and trips. It was called back to the dealer for computer reprogram related to the emissions system in about November 2019. After that the mpg dropped signficantly to somewher in the 25 mpg range, and the exhaust system regeneration started happening every two weeks or so. Then it was called back in August 2020 for another reprogram. mpg then went down to about 21-22 mpg and exhaust system regenerates every week or so. Service Engine light has come on and dealer did more repairs, changed fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc. this week. We'll see what happens. I have not accepted the settlement yet and I'm worried the vehicle will not ever perform to mpg rating again, not to mention I'm not sure the service engine light will stop coming on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went through this sam
Thanks Joe (at post #146),
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel with 73K miles. I used to get 28-32 mpg between city driving and trips. It was called back to the dealer for computer reprogram related to the emissions system in about November 2019. After that the mpg dropped signficantly to somewher in the 25 mpg range, and the exhaust system regeneration started happening every two weeks or so. Then it was called back in August 2020 for another reprogram. mpg then went down to about 21-22 mpg and exhaust system regenerates every week or so. Service Engine light has come on and dealer did more repairs, changed fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc. this week. We'll see what happens. I have not accepted the settlement yet and I'm worried the vehicle will not ever perform to mpg rating again, not to mention I'm not sure the service engine light will stop coming on.
I went through this same thing with my 2015 with 90k miles. I don't think Jeep will ever make things right with these ecodiesels. It is a shame because the main reason for getting one of these has essentially been negated. You didn't hear this from me, but I would highly recommend you look into the following tune...

i-30777964-2014-2019-grand-cherokee-3-0l-eco-diesel-dpf-egr-delete-kit-hand-held-device.html

I have "heard" this makes all the difference in performance. Like 33-34 mpg highway and 26-27 mixed. You also get back that off-the-line torque and was taken away. It is an investment that is well worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle. Your GC will run better than stock and last much longer as it will no longer be breathing back in its own exhaust. Only downside is your exhaust will smell much stronger like diesel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went through this sam

I went through this same thing with my 2015 with 90k miles. I don't think Jeep will ever make things right with these ecodiesels. It is a shame because the main reason for getting one of these has essentially been negated. You didn't hear this from me, but I would highly recommend you look into the following tune...

i-30777964-2014-2019-grand-cherokee-3-0l-eco-diesel-dpf-egr-delete-kit-hand-held-device.html

I have "heard" this makes all the difference in performance. Like 33-34 mpg highway and 26-27 mixed. You also get back that off-the-line torque and was taken away. It is an investment that is well worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle. Your GC will run better than stock and last much longer as it will no longer be breathing back in its own exhaust. Only downside is your exhaust will smell much stronger like diesel.
A MAJOR DOWNSIDE is that tampering with the emissions control system may be a violation of U.S. federal law and a violation of laws of the State where the vehicle is registered -- criminal and/or civil penalties could apply. Also, the owner of such an altered vehicle may be prohibited by law from selling it unless the vehicle is first brought back into compliance with applicable federal and/or state emissions rules. Car dealers may also be prohibited from purchasing a vehicle (or taking it as a "trade-in") if the emissions controls have been tampered with and are out of compliance with the rules.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just heard back from the dealership - they opened a STAR case with Jeep corporate because they don’t know what’s wrong with it. I’m hoping this ends up having them buy the vehicle back.
Jeep bought back my 2014 because it was in the shop for five months the first year. For a buyback, the requirements are within 12 months 12,000 miles from delivery and a large number of service visits in that period. My 2015 was traded early 2020 after they replaced two fuel pumps for the second (possibly third, can't recall) time.
The best MPG long distance I had with the 2015 was 30 MPG during an eight hour trip. After the first recall it went down to 27. City went down to 21 from 23.

I am completely happy with my XT5-400. Good bye GC!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A MAJOR DOWNSIDE is that tampering with the emissions control system may be a violation of U.S. federal law and a violation of laws of the State where the vehicle is registered -- criminal and/or civil penalties could apply. Also, the owner of such an altered vehicle may be prohibited by law from selling it unless the vehicle is first brought back into compliance with applicable federal and/or state emissions rules. Car dealers may also be prohibited from purchasing a vehicle (or taking it as a "trade-in") if the emissions controls have been tampered with and are out of compliance with the rules.
All valid points. If you live in a state without emissions testing you can get away with it. You will not be able to trade it in to a dealership, but I will tell you if you do a little digging and searching for message boards there are plenty of people looking for a "modified"diesel GC. There is no better combination of luxury, utility, towing capability and gas mileage. Fact is, most people that own these are stuck with them. Informed buyers and dealerships know of these problems and you will never get value for them on the open market. You are essentially stuck with a vehicle that gives you constant problems and doesn't perform like what you originally purchased and paid for. It is really crappy of FCA not to take full responsibility for these vehicles. So to me...do what you gotta do since nobody wants to help you with a vehicle you paid a premium price for. They are leaving owners with no choice. I don't even know how auto makers get away with installing EGR units. You are suffocating your engine and reducing the life of your engine significantly by cycling exhaust back through it. That sounds lovely doesn't it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been following this thread for a long time and finally decided, after my 2014 ecodiesel was in the shop for 36 of the last 30 days to reach out to FCA warranty about a buy back and those options. EXTREMELY ANNOYED AND FRUSTRATED after this chat, in which the person kept stating:

"If you are part of a lawsuit you would need to speak to your counsel, the settlement claim does not include buy backs and is separate from that. The settlement only includes: Update the emissions control software (the “Approved Emissions Modification” or “AEM”) for the Subject Vehicles free of charge;
Provide an extended warranty for updated vehicles; and
Provide cash compensation to Class Members who submit a timely and valid claim (see below for additional information and requirements). You can view your ecodiesel settlement claim here: Ecodiesel settlement

Which is contrary to anything mentioned here, and they are totally clueless. I asked several times to escalate to his manager and refused!!! Just kept repeating to contact counsel, buybacks are not an option. I even copy and pasted the section of the lawsuit and there was no comment on that.

I'll be reaching out to the paralegal posted in here, great job to everyone on this thread. But it seems FCA customer service is fighting this hard...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is having any issues with FCA, contact Ali per this thread! She is amazing and knows what's going on and is very helpful. This law firm truly is fighting for us. Apparently getting a warranty buy back is very difficult, and any excuse FCA can find (pre existing conditions) they won't honor the buy back, then the law firm fights them and tries to get a good will buy back. So not expecting much on the buy back front because my jeep has had EVERY emissions system component replaced since purchasing, but they will fight and see what happens, which will take months.

At this point, I have 30k miles remaining on the AEM warranty, so it's kind of low risk to hang on to it until that runs out, which is likely what I'll do. I just got the latest software today that was released a couple weeks ago. Let's see how this works with the lag and MPG, I'll report back if I feel it's really fixing the issues or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to hear everyone comments. Thank you...Yeah I think I'm going to pass on the emission recall. I like averaging over 27 MPG and I don't have a lot of respect for EPA government mentality.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts