Diesel Jeep Forum banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone is talking about engine changes but have you noticed that the transmission runs in 7th gear a lot more now? I think that is where the MPG is going down. Slightest hill or press on the throttle it down shifts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everyone is talking about engine changes but have you noticed that the transmission runs in 7th gear a lot more now? I think that is where the MPG is going down. Slightest hill or press on the throttle it down shifts.
I have to agree with the shift points after the AEM. I have a Ram ED & to me the shifts points are adding to the turbo lag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried to clean or replace the manifold air pressure sensor (not the mass airflow sensor). I am about to buy an ED and have been reading the forums. My thought is, if the truck has been running dirty for so long, then that sensor is probably fouled, and not reporting correct pressure sensors causing the turbo not to spool up. My hypothesis is that FCA ran the update on a low mileage truck, meaning it wouldn't have the wear and tear on the sensors and emission systems that yours has. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Guys, my 2014 GC Overland Eco Diesel has just about had every thing done to it, replacement of the exhaust gas temp (EGT) & catalytic temp (CT) sensors 3 times, the catalytic exhaust converter assembly switched out and lastly the DEF issues (chalky build up) cleared. Numerous “Regens” to clear soot have been performed.

2018 was the worst, the vehicle either sat for 3 weeks at a dealership in Florida or here here 2 weeks in Canada for EGT & CT sensors that were either on back order or that other dealerships did not want to let go!

You probably know that the US recall provided a software “fix” for the emissions and the class action provided compensation ($$$) to US owners past & present. Not so for Canadian owners. There are approx 39,000 Eco-diesel vehicles in Canada. Fiat, Chrysler Canada (FCC) have provided the software “Fix” but their support ends there. No Canadian legal firms have undertaken a class action suit.

Last week I noticed the the dash DEF gauge seemed stuck. Again the EGT & CT sensors were at fault. 2 more days at the dealership until the parts were received.

Without these issues, it has been a great vehicle to drive and the torque produce by the engine ideal for travel trailer towing.

Since the warranty coverage has now expired, we’re switching out the vehicle. There’s not many vehicle choices out there with a towing capacity of over 7000 lbs. Whatever the vehicle is, it’s not going to have an Fiat Chrysler Eco-Diesel engine.

“Caveat emptor” - buyer beware and stay away from these vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All, been awhile since I’ve posted here. Last post was to ask questions about GDE Tune. Of course since then I haven’t had time to actually do it. Now they are out of business and I’m SOL.

My 2014 JCG ED was bought used. I’ve put 75k miles on it and I’m just about to 100k total. I’ve never - EVER had a problem with it until the AEM update. Since then, I’ve got the “incorrect DEF” notice once and the check engine code P245b twice - which is the code for the EGR system failure. Just got it home from the dealer and I’m praying the code shows up 3 more times. I’d love nothing more to get this Jeep bought back. I’d go right down the street to Ford and test drive an F150 with the Powerstroke.

I tried to call the law firm that everyone has cited in this thread. I asked for someone on the EcoDiesel case and was transferred. The woman’s mailbox was full. Now I need to send an email. I want to make sure everything is in order if I keep getting this code.

If the code doesn’t pop again, I’m toying with having it deleted. A family friend says that he can still delete Ecodiesels for $2900. My concern is that Democrats have taken the capitol and state legislature in my state. I think emissions test will be coming back in the next few years. Having it deleted then Undeleted sounds really spendy.
Here is to hoping we all get taken care of by FCA...but let’s not hold our breath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All, been awhile since I’ve posted here. Last post was to ask questions about GDE Tune. Of course since then I haven’t had time to actually do it. Now they are out of business and I’m SOL.

My 2014 JCG ED was bought used. I’ve put 75k miles on it and I’m just about to 100k total. I’ve never - EVER had a problem with it until the AEM update. Since then, I’ve got the “incorrect DEF” notice once and the check engine code P245b twice - which is the code for the EGR system failure. Just got it home from the dealer and I’m praying the code shows up 3 more times. I’d love nothing more to get this Jeep bought back. I’d go right down the street to Ford and test drive an F150 with the Powerstroke.

I tried to call the law firm that everyone has cited in this thread. I asked for someone on the EcoDiesel case and was transferred. The woman’s mailbox was full. Now I need to send an email. I want to make sure everything is in order if I keep getting this code.

If the code doesn’t pop again, I’m toying with having it deleted. A family friend says that he can still delete Ecodiesels for $2900. My concern is that Democrats have taken the capitol and state legislature in my state. I think emissions test will be coming back in the next few years. Having it deleted then Undeleted sounds really spendy.
Here is to hoping we all get taken care of by FCA...but let’s not hold our breath.
hmm, why not try the sofaking tune that is via OBDII port. It's like $900 for the engine and transmission tunes. Apparently solves the issues. Since you are out of warranty, no harm in tuning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve read through this thread, but just to make sure I’m understanding, nobody has actually solved the sluggish acceleration without deleting or tuning or whatever you call it?

I called our dealership about the lag that made me feel unsafe on the highway. She said she hadn’t heard anything about it and had no idea what could be causing it. As this is my only issue, I decided not to take it in because I swear they make things worse when they tinker. If I could point to something specific that has worked for others, I’d be more confident taking it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve read through this thread, but just to make sure I’m understanding, nobody has actually solved the sluggish acceleration without deleting or tuning or whatever you call it?

I called our dealership about the lag that made me feel unsafe on the highway. She said she hadn’t heard anything about it and had no idea what could be causing it. As this is my only issue, I decided not to take it in because I swear they make things worse when they tinker. If I could point to something specific that has worked for others, I’d be more confident taking it in.
Yeah, as i understand it, the AEM update dded a 2.8 second delay before engaging the turbo with a cold engine. What gets me is that it also appears that they added a 1 second delay when the engine is warm. I guess it tells us just how much this engine relies on the turbo.

At this time, the only way around is a tune, which unfortunately can/will void warranty. Hopefully fca comes out with an update to correct the death pedal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, as i understand it, the AEM update dded a 2.8 second delay before engaging the turbo with a cold engine. What gets me is that it also appears that they added a 1 second delay when the engine is warm. I guess it tells us just how much this engine relies on the turbo.

At this time, the only way around is a tune, which unfortunately can/will void warranty. Hopefully fca comes out with an update to correct the death pedal.
Thank you! That’s exactly the easy to understand summary I was looking for!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 GC Limited purchased new Sept. 2014 though a Oct. 2013 build date. Had new head put on couple years after purchase as well as typical replacements of emissions parts 1st year. Only have 50k on it and only expensive repair out of warranty was the coolant thermostat couple years ago for about $500 and also recent check light with DTC fuel injector lower than expected. Dealer did fuel injector cleaning, additive and desoot procedure for $771 and said was due for differential flush for $190. Emissions update done in June and recent highway mileage, even after mentioned injector cleaning, dropped from 30-32 range to 27 on 1000 mi trip last weekend. Increased turbo lag have gotten used to but is annoying. I can remember one trip when maybe 3 months old getting 34 on one trip and was so impressed with torque. Now over the years with numerous updates they have zapped the power. I am no engineer but why can't they come up with a tune that maintains the power, responsiveness and MPG and keeps emissions at acceptable levels? Also, for anybody waiting on the check, I applied in June and just got the check couple weeks ago. With the extended warranty I guess will hold on to it but disappointed in reduced performance of engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 GC Limited purchased new Sept. 2014 though a Oct. 2013 build date. Had new head put on couple years after purchase as well as typical replacements of emissions parts 1st year. Only have 50k on it and only expensive repair out of warranty was the coolant thermostat couple years ago for about $500 and also recent check light with DTC fuel injector lower than expected. Dealer did fuel injector cleaning, additive and desoot procedure for $771 and said was due for differential flush for $190. Emissions update done in June and recent highway mileage, even after mentioned injector cleaning, dropped from 30-32 range to 27 on 1000 mi trip last weekend. Increased turbo lag have gotten used to but is annoying. I can remember one trip when maybe 3 months old getting 34 on one trip and was so impressed with torque. Now over the years with numerous updates they have zapped the power. I am no engineer but why can't they come up with a tune that maintains the power, responsiveness and MPG and keeps emissions at acceptable levels? Also, for anybody waiting on the check, I applied in June and just got the check couple weeks ago. With the extended warranty I guess will hold on to it but disappointed in reduced performance of engine.
If you are not worried about the warranty and want the performance back, you could always do a software tune. I'm considering it myself but as my JGC is a work vehicle, I'm not sure i want to void the warranty yet. It's a 2015 built in december 2015 with 50k miles on it. I do have an extended warranty out to 120k :( not sure if I want to void the powertrain portion of that with a tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I get in touch with the law firm involved because I’m past the point of patience with
This entire cluster F**K of a situation. Still to this day they showing nothing past receiving my claim! And my Jeep is not the same vehicle since the stupid recall was done!!!
How do you contact law firm. Every number I have just puts you in robot loop with no way to talk to a human. Website to track status of your claim doesn't seem to be working either once you hit "track claim". Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited... I have NOT gone into the dealership for the flash recall fix... I don't really care about the 3500, i care more about performance... so help me out owners... i've read about all the crap after the fix is done... what happens if i don't put in for the recall?

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know, as of yesterday, I received an email from GDE that they will no longer tune our diesels.
“We are not able to reflash/install our tune at this time due to changes in EPA rules. Best to contact your state representative and ask them to reign in the EPA if you ever want the GDE tune. The EPA is using statute CAA 42 USC 7522 (a)(3) (A-B) to go after the after-market auto industry. We feel this rule should only cover large auto manufacturers, not older vehicles in the field.”

Boy, did I let this get away. I really regret not getting it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I've had the same issue after the update, and I came aboard just to share my dismay. I had issues before but at least the engine was more responsive. I also had the DEF issue. They drained and refilled, probably replaced the filter, but didn't tell me. I honestly believe they are keeping from me how much work they have to do. The car has been in the shop for a total of 4 weeks over the course of 5 years. I now get about 17MPG, with that sluggishness and hesitation. On top of that I also get a little gasp every once in a while, usually when the engines cold for about 7-10 minutes. Once it's warm it doesn't make the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2014 EcoDiesel Overland. I bought this new Nov2013. Has been a great vehicle with very few issues until I received the AEM update in June2019. Since the update, I have been experiencing frequent (every 200-400 miles) DPF Regen warnings. Note, 50% of the miles driven have been highway miles (75mph). I also now have acceleration hesitation or what feels like turbo lag from dead stops and cold weather, along with significantly reduced milage. I live in Colorado and have a travel trailer we tow a few weeks in the summer. While towing, I notice a dramatic decrease in milage and power. The milage reduction is over 12%. Power reduction I cannot accurately quantify. I have brought this to the dealer to have it looked at twice. Both times the DPF was 100% full, in crippled mode and could only be cleared by the dealer. The second time the dealer blamed the issue on my air filter and chargers me ~$300 to clear the code. I was irate and called FCA to complain but never heard back from them. This AEM fix has broken my vehicle or there is another problem with DPF system that is not showing any error codes but clearly is happing and should be repaired under the extended warranty. I take a picture every time I get the REGEN warning "Keep driving message". There is another dealer in Colorado Springs that I will bring this to to see if they are willing to help. Any advice on how to get FCA to fix this too frequent DPF REGEN issue would be greatly appreciated. I had also heard the EPA is criminally charging one or more FCA engineers now for this similar to VW. Also note, the acceleration hesitation is dangerous in city traffic.

I found this article that FCA is looking into another FW Update.
Ram and FCA Are Working On a Fix For the EcoDiesel Emissions Recall Fix (Official) - The Fast Lane Truck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited... I have NOT gone into the dealership for the flash recall fix... I don't really care about the 3500, i care more about performance... so help me out owners... i've read about all the crap after the fix is done... what happens if i don't put in for the recall?

thanks everyone!
We have had very similar behavior and timeline with the addition that within a week of the emissions update, we got an "Exhaust Filter 100 % Full Service Required See Dealer" five minutes after getting a 90% warning that went on for about a minute and turned off. We couldn't get to a freeway in time to start the regeneration process. At the same time we got a "Service Electronic Throttle Control" warning on the dash and went into crawl mode. We crawled it to the dealer. They manually purged the emissions filter down to under 10% for $250. Since then (2 months ago), the regeneration process has gone off about five times. Each time requires a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get it to turn off. This morning was the most recent -- just one day after driving 600 freeway miles this past weekend. I pulled in the driveway this morning after my waste-of-a-20-minute-freeway drive, and my wife comes out of the house to take the car to work. She immediately gets the "Software update in progress.... Vehicle should not be driven, and should remain in PARK or with parking brake engaged." That update took 10 minutes and caused her to be late for work.

This is a 2014 JGC Diesel. We had it in the dealership 11 times the first year with check engine lights (mostly oxygen sensor and one time for the turbo hose coming off in traffic) until they installed a redesigned catalytic converter. After that, we were mostly trouble free until we got the emissions update this summer.
Since AEM I'm also experiencing frequent REGEN warnings and hit the 100% twice since June. If you hit the REGEN Keep driving warning. you can sit in park and keep the RPM'S around 2000 for 15 minutes until it is cleared. you do not have to be driving it. There is also a Android AlfaOBD App that you can use to clear the code and put it into REGEN mode just like the dealer does. The dealer should be fixing this issue under warranty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the first 2014 JGC Eco Diesel in Colorado back in early November of 2013. Have been fairly pleased with the vehicle over the years. 6/11/2019 I had the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) from the EcoDieselSettlement. At first, I did not notice any acceleration performance issues. It has always had good performance with a bit of turbo lag. However the next day we went on 600 mile round trip towing a 4200 pound camper trailer most of the time. The majority of the driving was at highway speeds. During the trip, I did notice my fuel economy to be about 10% less than it was prior to the AEM and that the engine seems to run a bit rougher (engine vibration). Recently, around town, I noticed a significant increase in the turbo lag at stop signs etc.. 2 days after I got back from 300 miles of highway driving and one short trip to the store, I got the warning exhaust filter getting full keep driving at highway speeds message, I'm sure you all have seen many times over the years. Very annoying to say the least. (I also saw this once on the trip but we were driving for 26 miles so it resolved itself). Well I didn't have time to keep my engine running and after ignoring the message and a couple of days later, with 3 more local trips, I now have to bring it into the dealer since the exhaust filter is 100% full. Has anyone else seen a higher frequency of the exhaust filter warning since the AEM fix? we'll see what the dealer says. So far the AEM has clearly affected the Key Vehicle Attributes and Fuel Economy which according to the settlement it should not. If the dealer finds a HW issue and the issues go away then fine. However, I will be asking them to open a STAR case based on the Key Vehicle Attributes and Fuel Economy. Keep you posted...
The dealer has ignored my problem and blamed it on a dirty air filter. Only fault code that has come on besides DPF 100% full. The charged me $300 to clear the code and run a manual DPF REGEN. I never heard back from FCA either. My vehicle goes into REGEN warning mode every few hundred miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I appreciate everyone's comments. I just bought a 2014 and was on the way to the dealer to have the "recall" done...until I read about it...NO WAY!
Thanks and good luck to those that did it and are having problems

121 - 140 of 169 Posts