Diesel Jeep Forum banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I've had the same issue after the update, and I came aboard just to share my dismay. I had issues before but at least the engine was more responsive. I also had the DEF issue. They drained and refilled, probably replaced the filter, but didn't tell me. I honestly believe they are keeping from me how much work they have to do. The car has been in the shop for a total of 4 weeks over the course of 5 years. I now get about 17MPG, with that sluggishness and hesitation. On top of that I also get a little gasp every once in a while, usually when the engines cold for about 7-10 minutes. Once it's warm it doesn't make the noise.
Update: three trips in 3 months to the dealer, for a total of 2 weeks in the shop. All issues surrounding the DEF filter, fluid, turbo etc etc etc. I am done with this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took my GC Diesel into the dealer for the EcoDiesel Settlement flash. I notice what I believe is a new shifting pattern, (rougher), as well as the sensation it will stall at times. In addition, it has set the MIL, and advises me to seek DEF service, see dealer. Wondering if anyone else has noticed strange changes right after the diesel flash.
my 14 wk2 has less power and turbo lag. The DPF and regen warning lights have returned a second time in less that 2500 miles and it has derated or limp mode. Was $3075 worth it ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I'm new here and purchased my '16 earlier this year. I had the AEM recall done about two months ago and have a lot of the same symptoms detailed in this thread. I just picked my Jeep up from the dealer after the remote start wouldn't work, turbo lag, etc. They couldn't find anything wrong and I admit is seems better once the Jeep is fully warmed up, but not the same as when I bought it. The good news is they told me there is a new recall coming but they don't know if it is just software. I was really getting mad about this since I loved this vehicle before the AEM. Like many, I wish I could have done a hot tune and never had them touch it again, but I still owe too much to the bank on this one. I'm hopeful this new recall will come soon and that it makes us all happy again. Wish I had more details, but maybe they are actually listening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear that BJ. No way will I have that flash done...even if they give me $3k
I'm so envious of your snap decision not to be tempted by a measly $3K and to opt out of the AEM install. I wish I could go back to simpler times when my life did not revolve around being depressed by the constant presence of the MIL on my dash. It's been on/off (mostly on) ever since the AEM install...every time for a different code. My local service shop is super cool so I stop in periodically to see what the wheel of codes says. One time it was for a malfunction in the DEF tank level indicator that resulted in a brand new tank complete with all the goodies. No charge of course. MIL back on within 24 hours. I won't get into all the codes as I'm sure many of you can relate with similar stories. The service manager openly feels sorry for me and the rest of their customers who were duped by this BS. He told me he has a customer who's Ram has been in the shop 29 TIMES...each time for a completely different issue. I started thinking about all the time they must be charging back to FCA for this nonsense each time the affected customers have to drop off again and numbers have to be outrageous. The thing that pisses me off the most...I mean other than the outright lies and deception cast upon all of us by FCA...is that I cannot use my remote start when the F#@%king light is on!!! If anyone has any bypass method around this I'm all ears. I've stopped going into the dealer to clear the codes as they come on again within 48hrs with something else. The GDE news is also depressing...that's what I get for procrastinating. I have to go now...gotta brave the elements to manually start my Jeep so it will run smoothly on the way home. Ugh...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Group,

I am new to this forum but I have been monitoring this thread for awhile now. I got some good information today from the law firm handling this, I spoke with one of their paralegals for almost an hour earlier this afternoon, I will pass along to you what she said.

First and foremost, I have a '15 GC, got the software update and have been experiencing P20ee codes, sluggishness and reduced MPGs like all of you. Most recent trip is supposedly the NOX Sensor going bad, who knows.

FCA has an approved "fix" for the sluggishness that is going to be released sometime in the next 14 days. You all will be recieving something in the mail directly from FCA highlighting the update and what it is going to do and the good ol "it wont alter performance or MPG in any other way" promise we got the last time. If you don't get something in the mail, reach out to your dealerships and inquire, they should be in the loop. The software update is a direct result of the lawfirm forwarding on complaints to FCA's outside rep team that all of us have made. She reiterated how important it is for us to be in contact with them to report any issues, so well done so far for everyone who called.

I have also seen a lot of people speaking of the buyback, I got info on that as well. As it has been documented on here multiple times, you can qualify for a buyback if your vehicle is in the shop for 30 or more consecutive days or you take it to the same dealership 4 times for the same code. Once this has happened and you would like to start the process you call FCA customer service directly and tell them you would like to start the buyback process. They will collect required information and start the process. IN SOME CASES the FCA reps have been giving out bad info stating they are not offering buybacks. Get the persons name and call the lawfirm with the information and they will contact FCA directly on your behalf. A lot of the buybacks are not being approved as a "warranty buyback" because if there are any records on file prior to AEM installation of your vehicle being serviced for a similar issue (like a p20ee code) then they can claim that there was preexisting problems and it is not directly related to the AEM. BUT in most cases they will offer you a "Good Will Buyback." "Hey Joe, what is the difference between the two?" Glad you asked. If you somehow get a warranty buyback, they take the current NADA value, plus options at the clean retail value (mine was $24,945). A good will buyback takes that same value minus mileage deductions and a title and tax reduction. Basically FCA's way of trying to save some $ in this mess.

For those of you who are experiencing issues and the dealer is trying to give you the run around: Whip out the lawsuit guidelines and show them. If it is like my case, they will change their tune very quickly. If they don't, call the law office and they will get on the horn with FCA and get the dealership to fall in line. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU A LOANER VEHICLE IF THE SERVICE IS GOING TO TAKE LONGER THAN 3 HOURS, no if, and's or buts.

Stay strong team, we are being heard. I will list the contact information below for the lawfirm, they have 3 dedicated paralegals for just us. I emailed there main address yesterday ( 1/15 ) at 3:06pm EST and she called me on my cell phone at 1:00pm EST ( 1/16 ). I will leave the mainline for the paralegals below, as well as the direct line to the paralegal I spoke with.

Offices of Leiff Cabaser Heimann & Bernstein
415-956-1000

Ali Brilliant, Paralegal
415-956-1000 ext. 2241

Hope this helps!
-Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Group,

I am new to this forum but I have been monitoring this thread for awhile now. I got some good information today from the law firm handling this, I spoke with one of their paralegals for almost an hour earlier this afternoon, I will pass along to you what she said.

First and foremost, I have a '15 GC, got the software update and have been experiencing P20ee codes, sluggishness and reduced MPGs like all of you. Most recent trip is supposedly the NOX Sensor going bad, who knows.

FCA has an approved "fix" for the sluggishness that is going to be released sometime in the next 14 days. You all will be recieving something in the mail directly from FCA highlighting the update and what it is going to do and the good ol "it wont alter performance or MPG in any other way" promise we got the last time. If you don't get something in the mail, reach out to your dealerships and inquire, they should be in the loop. The software update is a direct result of the lawfirm forwarding on complaints to FCA's outside rep team that all of us have made. She reiterated how important it is for us to be in contact with them to report any issues, so well done so far for everyone who called.

I have also seen a lot of people speaking of the buyback, I got info on that as well. As it has been documented on here multiple times, you can qualify for a buyback if your vehicle is in the shop for 30 or more consecutive days or you take it to the same dealership 4 times for the same code. Once this has happened and you would like to start the process you call FCA customer service directly and tell them you would like to start the buyback process. They will collect required information and start the process. IN SOME CASES the FCA reps have been giving out bad info stating they are not offering buybacks. Get the persons name and call the lawfirm with the information and they will contact FCA directly on your behalf. A lot of the buybacks are not being approved as a "warranty buyback" because if there are any records on file prior to AEM installation of your vehicle being serviced for a similar issue (like a p20ee code) then they can claim that there was preexisting problems and it is not directly related to the AEM. BUT in most cases they will offer you a "Good Will Buyback." "Hey Joe, what is the difference between the two?" Glad you asked. If you somehow get a warranty buyback, they take the current NADA value, plus options at the clean retail value (mine was $24,945). A good will buyback takes that same value minus mileage deductions and a title and tax reduction. Basically FCA's way of trying to save some $ in this mess.

For those of you who are experiencing issues and the dealer is trying to give you the run around: Whip out the lawsuit guidelines and show them. If it is like my case, they will change their tune very quickly. If they don't, call the law office and they will get on the horn with FCA and get the dealership to fall in line. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU A LOANER VEHICLE IF THE SERVICE IS GOING TO TAKE LONGER THAN 3 HOURS, no if, and's or buts.

Stay strong team, we are being heard. I will list the contact information below for the lawfirm, they have 3 dedicated paralegals for just us. I emailed there main address yesterday ( 1/15 ) at 3:06pm EST and she called me on my cell phone at 1:00pm EST ( 1/16 ). I will leave the mainline for the paralegals below, as well as the direct line to the paralegal I spoke with.

415-956-1000

Ali Brilliant, Paralegal
415-956-1000 ext. 2241

Hope this helps!
-Joe
I've experienced much of the same issues as you. I just posted my estimate to "fix" my Jeep from FCA on another thread...I'm curious, how many miles do you have on your Jeep?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just FYI and hopefully it doesn't come to this for anyone here, but Leiff Cabaser is a seriously strong firm. They collected the largest award actually paid in litigation history (at least as of the time I was in law school), some $7.5 billion as I recall. My favorite law school professor used to practice there also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Group,

415-956-1000

Ali Brilliant, Paralegal
415-956-1000 ext. 2241

Hope this helps!
-Joe
Some of the best info I have seen thus far. Thank you Sir! Got ours back a week and change or so from the intake replacement and DPF regen. Stupid thing did a regen again a week after dealer had it and the wife has been driving mostly highway miles. I have ordered a tune and it is getting processed as I write this. Just turning off the EGR for now and getting a better map and options. Will update when I get it loaded and get some drive time on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone gotten the new AEM update released in december? I got the notice in the mail it was released, just curious if anyone has noticed any improvement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They may have done mine. I don’t know if they updated it after the repairs this last time. Only had it back 2 weeks and wife tells me this morning that the check engine light came on this morning on her way into work. We are pissed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone gotten the new AEM update released in december? I got the notice in the mail it was released, just curious if anyone has noticed any improvement.
One of the reason's I came back to this forum was exactly this. Seems FCA is trying to explain away some of the problems you and for me very minimally. I noticed the transmission, rarely goes to top gear, bit of hesitation when cold with a little shift hunting. I've had a regen within 500 miles of the update, then another within a few thousand miles. I think due to this, my DEF usage seems to have increased. Next within a few months I got a (paraphrasing) "the DEF system has malfunctioned, go to dealer" message. Go to dealer where it has always been serviced, and the code says the DEF injector/pump is bad, that will be some ridiculous amount of money please, like $800 and change. I said, excuse me, my settlement specifically calls out that part specifically in the list of things that are covered up to 120000 miles. Of course service agent looks at me like ECO what? Well they actually figured out that it had to be covered and quickly tried to up the bill by suggesting it was time to do a brake fluid flush which I declined. What really concerns me, as I have 83000 miles on my vehicle is that it took 2 days for that part to get from Portland to Seattle. I seen that parts availability seem to be a problem. What weird is I love the damn thing. It's a 2014, went through all of the pain of no, you must have used the wrong DEF (idiots, it's your DEF), I think they replaced the DEF injector nozzle, still the dreaded code. Finally, a new CAT and really have had no serious problems.
I have experienced only since the AEM, center indicator console goes completely dark which makes a wonderful driving experience. Not sure if some relay of connection was the cause, but it came in a cluster in a 2 wk period. Knock on wood nothing for several months.
Biggest concern, since cold weather, just recently I've seen strange spikes in my water temp, heat going completely cold to burning, to acting normal. The day I saw the water temp spike I opened the overflow cap to see what the water level was. I looked normal, and the car did not seem over heated. Any ideas of this last problem?
Forgot to mention, have not noticed any turbo lag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the reason's I came back to this forum was exactly this. Seems FCA is trying to explain away some of the problems you and for me very minimally. I noticed the transmission, rarely goes to top gear, bit of hesitation when cold with a little shift hunting. I've had a regen within 500 miles of the update, then another within a few thousand miles. I think due to this, my DEF usage seems to have increased. Next within a few months I got a (paraphrasing) "the DEF system has malfunctioned, go to dealer" message. Go to dealer where it has always been serviced, and the code says the DEF injector/pump is bad, that will be some ridiculous amount of money please, like $800 and change. I said, excuse me, my settlement specifically calls out that part specifically in the list of things that are covered up to 120000 miles. Of course service agent looks at me like ECO what? Well they actually figured out that it had to be covered and quickly tried to up the bill by suggesting it was time to do a brake fluid flush which I declined. What really concerns me, as I have 83000 miles on my vehicle is that it took 2 days for that part to get from Portland to Seattle. I seen that parts availability seem to be a problem. What weird is I love the damn thing. It's a 2014, went through all of the pain of no, you must have used the wrong DEF (idiots, it's your DEF), I think they replaced the DEF injector nozzle, still the dreaded code. Finally, a new CAT and really have had no serious problems.
I have experienced only since the AEM, center indicator console goes completely dark which makes a wonderful driving experience. Not sure if some relay of connection was the cause, but it came in a cluster in a 2 wk period. Knock on wood nothing for several months.
Biggest concern, since cold weather, just recently I've seen strange spikes in my water temp, heat going completely cold to burning, to acting normal. The day I saw the water temp spike I opened the overflow cap to see what the water level was. I looked normal, and the car did not seem over heated. Any ideas of this last problem?
Forgot to mention, have not noticed any turbo lag.
I could not edit the above for some reason a second time. I also have lost between 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our whole center computer went south as well. No radio. No climate control, no nav/backup camera. Was told that it needed replacing. Drop 700. And then there was an update. I was like ok must be something standard. Nope. It was the AEM. Jeep went from great to suck the minute we got it back. Mpg fell. Regens more frequently. Def fill tube plugged up and had to get a new one along with the tank level sensor. After that was all replaced, not 2 weeks later, another regen which locked out and went straight to reduced power and said dpf full and take to dealer. Also fired off electronic throttle error and swirl flapper error. So on top of all previous mention, had to get a new intake manifold, EGR tube and get the dpf cooked out. Oh yeah. A week wfter we got it back this time, it needed another regen. Luckily it made it through the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to hear all these problems everyone is having. Love my 2014 diesel GC Summit dearly and would've been devastated to have the performance ruined. I wanted to see the online reactions from people who had the AEM before I had mine done, and boy am I glad I did. They're not touching my Jeep after the reactions I've seen in this forum, and thanks to everyone who detailed their experience. Sorry that this happened. Don't ever trust big corporations to do the right thing. Jeep has proven that they don't give a damn about us - even to the point of putting some of you in physical danger due to lack of acceleration. They'll screw loyal customers without even giving it a second thought. They truly do not care.

In case anyone who didn't have the AEM was wondering, I had an emissions test for my registration renewal yesterday and passed without issue. Looks like I'm going to be driving this vehicle for the next decade, imagine the resale value is totally shot. Still have under 80k miles, so it's got a ton of life left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious for those that have the frequent regens - have you all ever cleaned the MAF sensor and EGR collector tube? I ask bc I also have the AEM update and have cleaned the soot build up from these two things but haven't had a regen since being cleaned. I also do very little highway driving now since I work from home. I basically take my kids to school which is a 10 minute drive through town, run errands here and there but thats about it.
Granted, I've had a lot of other problems since the AEM update (turbo lag, mpg down, fuel rail leak, coolant leak from hose between radiator and oil cooler) but haven't had any regens in probably 4-5 months.

(knock on wood... my luck it'll happen on the next drive o_O )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know what the software versions are for the "new" AEM? I had the AEM done on Monday (1/27). PCM/TCM software is now 68307635AI (was AC) / 51208927AJ (was AF). Guessing it is the old software given the lag I experience today. Weird since it was a warm day in Denver and had no lag prior to today when it was much colder. Dealer said they would have loaded the most recent version. But read on a RAM forum that dealers aren't seeing the update without hunting for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the board. I purchased a used 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel in October 2019. It has already had the original AEM update completed. I have had it maybe 2000 miles and got my first "filter full" message and just took to the local Jeep dealer to get serviced. They did a regen on it and charged me approximately $300. Is this something I am supposed to have to pay for? The dealership told me that because the original recall work was completed in May/June and this is the first time I have brought in for this problem that is obviously isn't due to the AEM update. What a load of crap. I even had them double check and they came back with the same response. I need the car back, so I am going to have to pay for the regen to make that happen. However, do I have any recourse for this? Anyone have any recommendations on how to handle?

Also, I received a letter in the mail just a week ago from FCA talking about a new AEM update. I asked the dealer about it and they claim to know nothing about this update. Does anyone have this most recent update to AEM done? If so, has it helped. Did you have to do anything for your dealer to even recognize that it exists?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Someone else bought up the topic of the “second AEM update” in this post earlier. I don’t know if I have it or not. We are averaging about 25.7 mpg at the moment and the lag at takeoff feels a little better. But then today it threw a code for the cam timing sensor, so waiting to see how long that will take to get it fixed. Barely had the car back a month out of the shop and it may have to go back a 3rd time.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts