Diesel Jeep Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Group,

I am new to this forum but I have been monitoring this thread for awhile now. I got some good information today from the law firm handling this, I spoke with one of their paralegals for almost an hour earlier this afternoon, I will pass along to you what she said.

First and foremost, I have a '15 GC, got the software update and have been experiencing P20ee codes, sluggishness and reduced MPGs like all of you. Most recent trip is supposedly the NOX Sensor going bad, who knows.

FCA has an approved "fix" for the sluggishness that is going to be released sometime in the next 14 days. You all will be recieving something in the mail directly from FCA highlighting the update and what it is going to do and the good ol "it wont alter performance or MPG in any other way" promise we got the last time. If you don't get something in the mail, reach out to your dealerships and inquire, they should be in the loop. The software update is a direct result of the lawfirm forwarding on complaints to FCA's outside rep team that all of us have made. She reiterated how important it is for us to be in contact with them to report any issues, so well done so far for everyone who called.

I have also seen a lot of people speaking of the buyback, I got info on that as well. As it has been documented on here multiple times, you can qualify for a buyback if your vehicle is in the shop for 30 or more consecutive days or you take it to the same dealership 4 times for the same code. Once this has happened and you would like to start the process you call FCA customer service directly and tell them you would like to start the buyback process. They will collect required information and start the process. IN SOME CASES the FCA reps have been giving out bad info stating they are not offering buybacks. Get the persons name and call the lawfirm with the information and they will contact FCA directly on your behalf. A lot of the buybacks are not being approved as a "warranty buyback" because if there are any records on file prior to AEM installation of your vehicle being serviced for a similar issue (like a p20ee code) then they can claim that there was preexisting problems and it is not directly related to the AEM. BUT in most cases they will offer you a "Good Will Buyback." "Hey Joe, what is the difference between the two?" Glad you asked. If you somehow get a warranty buyback, they take the current NADA value, plus options at the clean retail value (mine was $24,945). A good will buyback takes that same value minus mileage deductions and a title and tax reduction. Basically FCA's way of trying to save some $ in this mess.

For those of you who are experiencing issues and the dealer is trying to give you the run around: Whip out the lawsuit guidelines and show them. If it is like my case, they will change their tune very quickly. If they don't, call the law office and they will get on the horn with FCA and get the dealership to fall in line. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE YOU A LOANER VEHICLE IF THE SERVICE IS GOING TO TAKE LONGER THAN 3 HOURS, no if, and's or buts.

Stay strong team, we are being heard. I will list the contact information below for the lawfirm, they have 3 dedicated paralegals for just us. I emailed there main address yesterday ( 1/15 ) at 3:06pm EST and she called me on my cell phone at 1:00pm EST ( 1/16 ). I will leave the mainline for the paralegals below, as well as the direct line to the paralegal I spoke with.

Offices of Leiff Cabaser Heimann & Bernstein
415-956-1000

Ali Brilliant, Paralegal
415-956-1000 ext. 2241

Hope this helps!
-Joe
-------------------------------------
BEST information I have been given so far. Definitely appreciate the info and I am glad there is a place where we can share information and vocalize our issues together.

I have a 2014 GC Overland (fully Loaded) that I LOVE which now seems unrepairable. To make things worse the jeep was JUST paid off un full in October 2019

- Brought the Jeep in for AEM recall in July 2019 and I am STILL not able to drive my Jeep and its FEBRUARY 2020
- My Alert is "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and Check engine light comes on. Acceleration is even WORSE than it already was after the AEM fix
- Had to get the jeep towed on on occasion as it wouldn't stay on
- Charged $1641 bc jeep said the issue was a Turbo oil line and fuel filter (Back in September 2019) which was 100% NOT the issue
- Have gotten the car back 5 times and each time they hold the car for months at a time. Give it back only for the issue to come back 100 miles later.
- Constantly inconvenienced as they never have loaners and send me to Hertz, who never has jeeps only (older Hyundai's and other smaller vehicles)

If any of you haven't I would open up a case with Jeep Customer care (not sure if they are actually helping or feeding me BS) But still open a case with them @ (248) 464-6694

At this point I and will settle for nothing less than a new (similar) vehicle or buyback. I was unsure about spending money on an attorney but based on what your stating it may be best to get one now. And it is good to know they are only handling the Jeep cases. I want the max value for the Diesel if we do a buyback (83,000 Miles for the 2014 Overland Diesel should be at least $18-20k) and your point on being able to confirm if the issue was due to the AEM is KEY, as my dealer has stated this wasn't due to the recall, which it CLEARLY is so we will see about this tomorrow.

Alright done venting but @Jferg thanks and please keep us posted on your case, and also do the attorneys you provided handle issues in the state of Georgia as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone used the PPEI custom tune and have any feeback? They are the only ones doing tunes (and GDE shutting down) for ecodiesels now since the new EPA rules and you have to take the ECM out of the vehicle and send it to them to do a bench tune, they send it back and you have to reinstall it? They tune is $900 and I'd probably have to rent a car for a week while the tune is being done onsite in Louisiana. There is little to no feedback available on the internet so hoping someone is familiar with it.
The short version of my story to date:
I've had really bad problems with regens since the AEM and had to take it to the dealer several times after getting the DPF100% full message. All the while, I've been lobbying my dealer (Rick Hendrick in Atlanta, GA) to replace the DPF because I knew it was clogged and compromising the regen process in general. The details of what it took to get them to replace it under warranty:
  • The dealer (who I think it good and competent, many aren't) wouldn't just replace the DPF on my word despite my horrible history with regens and dealer initiated manual regens
  • I had been raising hell with FCA and had multiple call-ins/claims about regens
  • It got to the point where I purposely let it get 100% full so that I had a check engine light on they "had an excuse to take off the DPF and inspect it
  • They inspected the DPF and it was totally clogged to the point that they couldn't even do manual regens on it anymore (the DPF soot hose we 97% clogged too)
  • Got it all covered 100% under the extended warranty on 2/12/20
My concern moving forward is that the same thing is bound to happen again if I don't get it tuned. When speaking with PPEI a couple weeks before, they said the tune would be futile if I had a compromised DPF filter from the way the AEM had it tuned currently so they suggested demanding that FCA replace the DPF. Mission accomplished after much pain and frustration so now I'm just trying to do my homework while searching for a tuning option.

My other concern is that this issue has gotten so bad and widespread that maybe FCA will do something about it; offer an updated tune, offer a buyback, etc. I have little to no faith in them but if I go the tuning route, I will void my extended warranty. I have a bad feeling that other stuff my be compromised due the the joke that is the AEM tune so trying not to spend a grand on a tune (which I think is the right option) but the have other things start falling apart that should be covered under the extended warranty which is now void because of the tune.

Tough spot but leaning towards a tune and looking for insight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back in here. I stalled and think I got the second fix. Took a whole weekend because the mechanic locked my keys in his toolbox and went away for the weekend. Have notice the cold stutter but only for a mile or so. I got regens about every week then got the DPF full message and P0024? code and had to take it to the dealer. They replaced the DPF sensor (took two days to get in). Haven't even the slightest argument about warranty or loaner. Haven't had any trouble since one regen in 3500 miles. 81K total. Love the Jeep will certainly keep it through the extended emissions warranty. Kept my late wife's 95 GC six cylinder for about 300K and old enough to vote. Hope to beat that with this one.

Stoney

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone used the PPEI custom tune and have any feeback? They are the only ones doing tunes (and GDE shutting down) for ecodiesels now since the new EPA rules and you have to take the ECM out of the vehicle and send it to them to do a bench tune, they send it back and you have to reinstall it? They tune is $900 and I'd probably have to rent a car for a week while the tune is being done onsite in Louisiana. There is little to no feedback available on the internet so hoping someone is familiar with it.
I've had really bad problems with regens since the AEM and had to take it to the dealer several times after getting the DPF100% full message. All the while, I've been lobbying my dealer (Rick Hendrick in Atlanta, GA) to replace the DPF because I knew it was clogged and compromising the regen process in general. The details of what it took to get them to replace it under warranty:
  • The dealer (who I think it good and competent, many aren't) wouldn't just replace the DPF on my word despite my horrible history with regens and dealer initiated manual regens
  • I had been raising hell with FCA and had multiple call-ins/claims about regens
  • It got to the point where I purposely let it get 100% full so that I had a check engine light on they "had an excuse to take off the DPF and inspect it
  • They inspected the DPF and it was totally clogged to the point that they couldn't even do manual regens on it anymore (the DPF soot hose we 97% clogged too)
My concern moving forward is that the same thing is bound to happen again if I don't get it tuned. When speaking with PPEI a couple weeks before, they said the tune would be futile if I had a compromised DPF filter from the way the AEM had it tuned currently so they suggested demanding that FCA replace the DPF. Mission accomplished after much pain and frustration so now I'm just trying to do my homework while searching for a tuning option.

My other concern is that this issue has gotten so bad and widespread that maybe FCA will do something about it; offer an updated tune, offer a buyback, etc. I have little to no faith in them but if I go the tuning route, I will void my extended warranty. I have a bad feeling that other stuff my be compromised due the the joke that is the AEM tune so trying not to spend a grand on a tune (which I think is the right option) but the have other things start falling apart that should be covered under the extended warranty which is now void because of the tune.

Were you able to get the regens covered under warranty? Mine is stuck on 100% full and my dealer is telling me it is a maintenance item. I have argued with them for 3 days about this and the Jeep Cares rep I spoke to was initially on my side until she spoke to the service advisor and flipped. I might just have a horrible dealer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Were you able to get the regens covered under warranty? Mine is stuck on 100% full and my dealer is telling me it is a maintenance item. I have argued with them for 3 days about this and the Jeep Cares rep I spoke to was initially on my side until she spoke to the service advisor and flipped. I might just have a horrible dealer...
Yes is seems as though you have a horrible dealer. I've attached the specific labor code that proves it's covered under warranty. The DPF replace is as well but I don't have the code for that. If you need it, I can dig up the invoice the shows it was covered under warranty. Just let me know.

Cheers,

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
BEST information I have been given so far. Definitely appreciate the info and I am glad there is a place where we can share information and vocalize our issues together.

I have a 2014 GC Overland (fully Loaded) that I LOVE which now seems unrepairable. To make things worse the jeep was JUST paid off un full in October 2019

• Brought the Jeep in for AEM recall in July 2019 and I am STILL not able to drive my Jeep and its FEBRUARY 2020
  • My Alert is "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and Check engine light comes on. Acceleration is even WORSE than it already was after the AEM fix
  • Had to get the jeep towed on on occasion as it wouldn't stay on
  • Charged $1641 bc jeep said the issue was a Turbo oil line and fuel filter (Back in September 2019) which was 100% NOT the issue
  • Have gotten the car back 5 times and each time they hold the car for months at a time. Give it back only for the issue to come back 100 miles later.
  • Constantly inconvenienced as they never have loaners and send me to Hertz, who never has jeeps only (older Hyundai's and other smaller vehicles)
If any of you haven't I would open up a case with Jeep Customer care (not sure if they are actually helping or feeding me BS) But still open a case with them @ (248) 464-6694

At this point I and will settle for nothing less than a new (similar) vehicle or buyback. I was unsure about spending money on an attorney but based on what your stating it may be best to get one now. And it is good to know they are only handling the Jeep cases. I want the max value for the Diesel if we do a buyback (83,000 Miles for the 2014 Overland Diesel should be at least $18-20k) and your point on being able to confirm if the issue was due to the AEM is KEY, as my dealer has stated this wasn't due to the recall, which it CLEARLY is so we will see about this tomorrow.

Alright done venting but @Jferg thanks and please keep us posted on your case, and also do the attorneys you provided handle issues in the state of Georgia as well?
This has been eye opening information for me, thank you for sharing. I have just joined because I was wondering what issues other diesel Jeep owners are having and after doing a quick on line search ended up here.

I have been experiencing all the same problems other owners are having after having the emissions settlement AEM flash was performed on my 2016 JGC Overlander last year. Bad throttle response when cold, slightly different shift patterns, lower fuel mileage. I went from getting a regular 28 mpg on the highway to lucky if I can get 26 mpg by going slower.

Firstly, let me state unequivocally that my Ecodiesel JGC Overlander was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I loved this vehicle. Comfortable mile muncher that could do 700 miles between fill ups. Plenty of power and very capable of towing my boat. In fact the engine has so much torque I can barely even feel the boat.

I use past tense here because ever since I had the AEM flash performed for the diesel emissions settlement I have gradually been looking more and more sideways at my Jeep, do not like it so much and certainly do not trust it anymore. The first time the check engine light came on, followed shortly thereafter by the "Diesel Exhaust Filter is 100% full" message was about four weeks ago. I had had this message before, but I did the Regen on the highway and the message disappeared. The difference this time is the check engine light came on first. Before I could even get it to the dealer the engine went into limp mode, which is frankly a bit dangerous. My Jeep has less than 60k miles on it so it has not been heavily used.

So four weeks ago, my local dealer in Morganton, NC (seem like good folks) unclogged the filter which removed the check engine message. Cost me $180. They told me at the time this could be happening because I was just running around town and not on the highway anymore, which I thought was a logical if not strange message to give a Jeep owner. Did not think anything more about it until two weeks later the check engine light came on again, except this time I was at the start of a 5 hour journey to the coast. Within two miles the "Diesel Exhaust Filter is 100% full" message came up and before I even got it to the highway the engine went into limp mode. Morganton dealer service was closed on Saturday so I had to take it the Hickory dealer. Five hours later (ruined my day for sure) I was on the road again. This time the dealer unclogged the filter got rid of the error message but covered it under warranty. Thank you very much. They did mention that I should think about changing out the fuel filters.

Then not more than four days later after returning from the coast same check engine / error message came up again. Took it to the Morganton dealer, they unclogged a 119% exhaust filter and also got a P245B-00 active code and replaced the EGR cooler vac valve. All done under warranty, thank you very much. Asked about replacing the fuel filters and was advised this would only need to be done if the appropriate error message told me to do so. OK, but still thinking about replacing the fuel filters.

So far so good, but less than a week into this and even the dealer said to wait and see if this fixes the issue permanently. Something tells me it will not (based on what I read on this forum).

Note: I received the second letter from FCA indicating there was an authorized updated AEM that would reduce the sluggishness when cold. I asked my dealer to perform this and was told yes the vehicle is now up to date. For some reason they would not tell me "they had performed the update" rather that it was just up to date. Hmmnnn.

Anyways, this FCA letter annoyed me because I think FCA were disingenuous to diesel Jeep owners when they stated only a very few people had complained about the changes to the vehicle's performance. That is clearly BS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which VW diesel engines are affected by emissions scandal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes is seems as though you have a horrible dealer. I've attached the specific labor code that proves it's covered under warranty. The DPF replace is as well but I don't have the code for that. If you need it, I can dig up the invoice the shows it was covered under warranty. Just let me know.

Cheers,

BradReply
Jeep cares is also saying it is not covered. Is the LOP Number what I should be citing as proving it is covered?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Other tuning options are SofaKing tuners and MRTuning out of Canada. Canadian Ecodiesel page is where you can get info on MRTuning. I have it. Don’t tell anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. I have taken mine in because of a regeneration filter being full once since the recall work has been completed. I've taken it in again to have it looked because of a lag and they say everything's fine. They tried to blame it on a dirty filter. The check engine light wasn't on when I took it in but then they said there were a couple codes that came up when they put it on the tester. I had a regen issue again the other day but it finally cleared. My MPG has went down three to four miles per gallon on each the highway and the city. I live in Wisconsin and I believe the cold climate makes it even worse. I definitely experience a lag when it's cold and I go to pull out on the highway I live on. Extremely aggravating. I am slowly losing my settlement check due to the decrease in MPGs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The lag after the AEM update is legit. FCA put about a 3 second delay in the programming and it sucks. And my mpg went down as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted this in the Exhaust Recall Forum, but thought it might be helpful here too.

And the diesel stories continue! To start, I LOVE my 2015 GC diesel. But our local dealer is making it harder and harder to do this!
I did the recall, V08, which they charged me for some BS part I still can't figure out. They stated they needed to replace it before the Jeep could be updated on the software. This was done at 39k miles a in Feb 2020. Now, I have the "Exhaust filter full" warning. Took it back in, and they stated it was not a warranty issue because I have a fuel filter that is 100% plugged (only 5500 miles on it) and "bad viscosity in the oil". And they are the ones that do the oil changes at $190 a pop!
I asked to speak to the service manager about it, trying to understand how my oil viscosity is tied to the exhaust filter being full, but no return calls, and no one in the office when I go by.
So after a few days, I am picking up the Jeep, and paying the $590 to get it out of there!!
On a side note, I did talk to Jeep Customer care, and the representative was very scripted, and basically stated, they are a franchise dealer, and Jeep has NO control over how they run their service department.
I am sooo disappointed in Jeep, I have never had a manufacturer refuse to work with a dealer to resolve an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts

• Brought the Jeep in for AEM recall in July 2019 and I am STILL not able to drive my Jeep and its FEBRUARY 2020
  • My Alert is "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and Check engine light comes on. Acceleration is even WORSE than it already was after the AEM fix
  • Had to get the jeep towed on on occasion as it wouldn't stay on
  • Charged $1641 bc jeep said the issue was a Turbo oil line and fuel filter (Back in September 2019) which was 100% NOT the issue
  • Have gotten the car back 5 times and each time they hold the car for months at a time. Give it back only for the issue to come back 100 miles later.
  • Constantly inconvenienced as they never have loaners and send me to Hertz, who never has jeeps only (older Hyundai's and other smaller vehicles)

I have done 2 dealer buy backs over the past couple of years with different manufacturers, and the process is long but easy. First off, if they do a buy back, you should get reimbursed for all monies paid toward the vehicle from the time (and mileage) of the original problem. For example, if you had the initial complaint at 50k miles, you will be reimbursed for all payments (loan), and so much per mile, and any repairs you can prove you paid for towards that specific issue. If you don't have a loan, most manufacturers do a 5 year depreciation schedule to figure it out.
I hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@desertdaves thats some pretty crappy service. We have had everything covered under an extended warranty offered after the AEM update. It’s was offered to us by my dealer after all the issues and complaints. Take to another one and see if they are better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@desertdaves thats some pretty crappy service. We have had everything covered under an extended warranty offered after the AEM update. It’s was offered to us by my dealer after all the issues and complaints. Take to another one and see if they are better.
@KevinK I have the extended warranty also, and I was very adamant about it. Service manager wouldn't even talk to me about it. Told me to see the service writer.
Unfortunately the next dealer is 1 hour 45 min away. ugh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alright guys "I got the Exhaust filter 100% full" and have to take it to the dealer. I have NOT had the recall done but after seeing that it will give me an extended warranty on all these expensive emission parts and give me a few $$ I'm gonna bit the bullet and have it done. The service manager is an old H.S. pal and I shared my trepidation about the flash. he said they've done a bunch and only had one complaint. So, with all that said what should I look out for BEFORE I take it in? I did hear they upgraded the V08 flash so maybe things are better???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and had the emission repairs done back in September. Since then I have to return my car to the dealership just about monthly to have the Emissions Filter "reset", otherwise it throttles down the power so significantly I can't get about 35 mph. It had previously flashed "filter nearing full, drive car at highway speeds" before this happened, it is now suddenly decelerating and then starts flashing warning which is quite a safety issue. Now, I am being told it is related to the oil viscosity even though just had the oil changed a week ago. Not happy with this and wish I didn't love my Jeep so much

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just traded my 2015 GC diesel in to a non-FCA dealer for another car. The past 12 months has been a disaster for the Jeep. It had 77K miles on it, and spent 12 weeks in service last summer. It had failed on the road and was towed in, and the magnets on the crankshaft position sensor (tone bell?) had fallen apart. Once that was repaired (3 weeks) they called me to tell me it needed 'contaminated fuel system' repair, which was essentially a complete new fuel delivery system from the pipe out of tank to the injection system, pump, injectors and all. This costed $9K and the dealership said dirt in the system is not covered under warranty. I filed a claim with my auto insurance, and they took another 4 weeks to finally deal with it, and they paid for all but the deductable. I had the new emission fix flashed into the code, and drove it for about a month when check engine light started coming on. OBD2 said it was NOx sensor failure. With the extended warranty after flashing the emissions control changes,dealership replaced the sensor. As I drove it home, it came on again. Next month in shop again, they said must have been a bad sensor. Replaced again. This time as I drove home (20 miles) the light came on with the NOx again, but in addition I got the dreaded DEF system service message, that has a countdown of 160 miles until will not restart. Back into the dealership it went. Replaced NOx sensor again I believe (i lost count of these) and both messages came back within days. This time I decided to look myself and disconnected the DEF injector (easy to get to) and found crystals of DEF all fouled there. I cleaned it with a cup of hot water and a toothbrush, reinstalled and did a forced regen. Message came back after a day. Back to the dealership it went, as the nearest alternative shop is 70 miles away. This time they kept it two weeks, got a STAR case started with FCA service, and did a reconfiguration of firmware, yes, thats what it said. As I drove home the lights came back, but the DEF message cleared after two 10 mile jaunts. With only the nagging NOx sensor message in the OBD2, I realized it would never be fixed, they had no idea what to do. The COVID19 hit, and while sitting around at home, i decided this was enough, time to sell it. I got a decent trade, mid range. This car certainly did not live up to expectations in reliability. It pulled fine, and got 24 MPG, so that part was fine. I made the deal a day before our state closed auto sales for a while, and got a non diesel car, first time I haven't owned a diesel since 1975 Rabbit, and a series of VWs culminating in this Ecodiesel 3.0.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my VA7 completed today. On the way home got the check engine light. Hooked up my reader and pulled a P245B code. Dealership has been notified and will be visiting them in the morning. This dealership doesnt over loaners but we'll see what happens.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts