Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope my question is not sacriligious! I have a Chevy AWD astro van that I really like - the interior and exterior sizes are perfect for what I do. What would make it way cool is to have a diesel engine in with either a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual (manual with a nice, low granny gear and a healthy overdrive). My hope is to find a v6 diesel drive train and put it in my astro - the engine, tranny and transfer case (this would eliminate a lot of the need for adapters). The power numbers match my 4.3l gasser, even though the diesel is only a 3.0 l. I am guessing that the weight is not much more than my gasser, if at all. I get about 15 mpg now - one of my hopes is to be able to get 20 mpg.

Do you know anyone who has done this? Do you have any ideas? I know the Sprinter v6 is about the same size as the jeep engine, and the sprinter van is a little heavier and taller than my 'stro.

Is it possible to run this engine without all of the electronics and still get decent performance?

Lots of questions!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum. i may not have the exact answer to your question but you may wanna check out other sections on the forum or use the search bar. might find any lucky answers about v6 diesel drivetrain

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow- in the 'old days' (before emissions BS) you probably might have a good shot at it. This engine is 'sweet'- but dealing with computer controls etc etc will probably 'do your bank account in'.

Contact BANKS POWER- I know they are working with 'modding' it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if emissions were not an issue in my state? Can the engine run well without the all the electronic stuff? Something substituted?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look down the forum listings for GRAND CHEROKEE DIESEL PERFORMANCE - you might contact some of those posters for some leads. Looks like a lot of 'computer modding' has been done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts