Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need a new vehicle soon and the GC Diesel is on paper perfect for what I want. Looking at the used market, there are many 2008 GC with 300,000 km and more and apparently happy owners. Looking at the posts on this forum however, one reads numerous horror stories about unreliability of the 2014 and later models. When one spends that kind of $$ on a new vehicle, one expects to drive high kilometres (350,000 and more) with few issues. Are in reality the GC Diesels unreliable vehicles?

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you look 'trouble posts' are pretty infrequent now. I have a 14' - and have gotten all the updates including the new catalytic converter and it runs great! If you went for a 17' or 18' I think you shouldn't have to put up with any of the 'early teething problems'!

·
Registered
148 Posts
By far, I think the big issue people ran into with the 2014s was the catalytic converter issue. This was treated as a recall, so all of the 2014s should have had this fix. Honestly, when I had mine down, all that happened was the check engine light coming on - the vehicle did not behave differently before or after it was repaired. I have almost 35000 miles on my '14 now and love it. Mine is going in for the gear shift recall Monday, but I really couldn't be happier with it. It's been great so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. It's fun shopping for a new vehicle and it's fun reading the forums about reliability of Diesel SUVs. At the same time it is serious money and I look to make wise choices. The VW Touareg TDI have been pulled off the market in the USA with the clean diesel issue, but the second hand ones are readily available in Canada. Owners appear to like them and I haven't come across issues. Its a decision I make at my leisure. In the meantime I continue reading forums. Thanks again for the note that other than the CAT issues, people like the Diesel Cherokees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need the 70k service for my 2014 diesel now. Since they fixed the DEF system related issues it has been 100% reliable. The navigation and entertainment system sounds OK but I would seriously like to meet the SOBs who think that system is worth 10% of what it cost me. Maps are out of date, even the most recent and vastly expensive maps are older than the car. The USB/SD/Bluetooth system takes ages to get going, minutes. But other than that and significant turbo lag from light throttle it is fine. It feels like driving a turbine, it winds up and goes, but once it is going it pulls like a train.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need the 70k service for my 2014 diesel now. Since they fixed the DEF system related issues it has been 100% reliable. The navigation and entertainment system sounds OK but I would seriously like to meet the SOBs who think that system is worth 10% of what it cost me. Maps are out of date, even the most recent and vastly expensive maps are older than the car. The USB/SD/Bluetooth system takes ages to get going, minutes. But other than that and significant turbo lag from light throttle it is fine. It feels like driving a turbine, it winds up and goes, but once it is going it pulls like a train.

I am at 67,000 miles and have had no issues since the cat replacement at 36000 miles. Plus we have towed a travel trailer for about 21000 of those miles and loved every minute of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts