Diesel Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not a two footed driver.

My GC EcoDiesel has been out of service for 21 days now. They just replaced the catalytic converter. And next they will replace an O2 sensor. Even if they get it to run without throwing codes again, the underlying engineering problem remains. This vehicle is incapable of "parked regeneration". To regenerate it must be driven at highway speeds. What rocket scientist at Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat thought it was a good idea to put in an engine that requires driving at highway speeds to clear a problem? I mean, the vehicle is designed for serious off road play. How many Jeep Ecodiesel owners are going to get stuck in limp mode, stuck in 3rd gear, in the back country somewhere because they can't get to a highway and drive at highway speeds to regenerate? Someone, maybe many, at Jeep are spending way too much time in their cubicles and not enough time driving these things in the environments they are intended for.
I think requiring a highway drive for a regen is pretty normal for a light duty diesel (1 ton vehicles or less) with these modern diesel emissions. This isn't just a Jeep thing. They need to build a lot of heat in the exhaust to clean it out and the constant load is part of the process to help generate this heat. Heavy duty trucks may do this while sitting but their engines rev to generate the required heat and are designed to spend an indefinite time running while stopped as many operate auxiliary equipment. Mine has been unnoticeable and have put on 12000km now but I do some freeway driving as part of my regular routine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not a two footed driver.

My GC EcoDiesel has been out of service for 21 days now. They just replaced the catalytic converter. And next they will replace an O2 sensor. Even if they get it to run without throwing codes again, the underlying engineering problem remains. This vehicle is incapable of "parked regeneration". To regenerate it must be driven at highway speeds. What rocket scientist at Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat thought it was a good idea to put in an engine that requires driving at highway speeds to clear a problem? I mean, the vehicle is designed for serious off road play. How many Jeep Ecodiesel owners are going to get stuck in limp mode, stuck in 3rd gear, in the back country somewhere because they can't get to a highway and drive at highway speeds to regenerate? Someone, maybe many, at Jeep are spending way too much time in their cubicles and not enough time driving these things in the environments they are intended for.
My problem started at 7000 miles...so I as driving with two feet up until that point without a problem. They ended up replacing some gas sensor. And they actually typed a "STARS" response to Jeep representative that the problems are related to a two footed driver! I filed a complaint with the NHSTA, and still have not heard from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first outright diesel ownership but I've been around them forever with several family and friends owning them. So I brought the concerns of this tread to their attention and the basic response I received is it's an exhaust heat requirement needed to burn off the black smoke particulates from the urea filter. In addition to their take on our issue I also received each of their downloads on the fundamental differences between gas and diesel motors (including why you drive them differently). To me it seems 'Driving at highway speeds for regeneration' is a manufactures way of saying heat it up by going faster/longer to build exhaust heat....but with 8 gears? The most common advice I get is when the message comes up to just go for a drive up a canyon with something heavy in it, or go wheeling, or go pull something...anything to drive the exhaust heat up. With that not always possible my thoughts tend to lean towards manually finding a gear that keeps the revs between 2-3k while keeping an eye on the temps. With regeneration being so vital I wonder why they didn't add an exhaust temp gauge in with all the other bells and whistles. Sure would help with cooling before shutdown.

Garv

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my Overland Diesel for almost 2 months now, 10,000 kms later (6,200 miles) no warning lights or error codes yet, just great fuel mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
we have had ours since December and have put 15,000 miles on it. We have had no problems and been very happy with the mileage. We just got this error code today
but it went off on its own. My wife said she just drove fast on side roads and it went off on its own

·
Registered
124 Posts
The service manager at my dealer told me that regen gets upward to 1000 degrees and that if it were to regen when not moving the heat could damage the vehicle or start a fire ....... that there have been cases with trucks that the spare was melted. I think earlier reports of burning smells might have been aborted regens. Also the vehicle will not regen if the MIL light is on. I have had no problem to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4,200 miles and I also got the error message "exhaust filter nearing full drive safely at highway speeds to remedy". Attempted to drive at highway speed but the vehicle did not go into regeneration. After approximately an hour it went into limp mode. The vehicle had to be towed over 100 miles to the nearest dealer. Dealer took eight days to service the vehicle. In the meantime I found a flash that was issued in July but the dealer did not have that flash in their system. Anyhow they reset the codes and changed the oil. I fully expect the problem to reoccur. I live in SE Alaska and I have two dealers within striking distance. One is a ferry ride away (Jeep will not pay for the ferry ride) the other is 110 miles away in Whitehorse, YT. A tow would have to come from the dealership towns as my hometown doesn't have a towing service. I have kind of lost confidence in this vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To update everyone on my last post - I have now had the CEL come on 4 times now for the exhaust system. They've tried "flashing it" etc - they don't seem to know what they're doing. Currently still in the shop, where it's been for the last 8 days. They said "engineering" has ordered a part for it but they don't know when it will arrive. I love the features of this car but it's been soooooooo unreliable. Fingers crossed I can lemon law it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To update everyone on my last post - I have now had the CEL come on 4 times now for the exhaust system. They've tried "flashing it" etc - they don't seem to know what they're doing. Currently still in the shop, where it's been for the last 8 days. They said "engineering" has ordered a part for it but they don't know when it will arrive. I love the features of this car but it's been soooooooo unreliable. Fingers crossed I can lemon law it.
Please post your codes. Some dealers have no idea how to properly troubleshoot these new ERA mandated systems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Incorrect DEF fluid light was randomly coming on and would not replicate at dealership. Eventually it stuck on and the car entered a "will not restart" mode. Dealership has had it 10 days and still can't figure out what is wrong. I absolutely hate this car. A $50K vehicle that I can't drive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my first regeneration notification at 8100 miles. Have had a couple road trips and also towed 5k load 700 miles through hills and mountains. The beast performed like a champ!! Started driving at highway speeds (76mph 74f outside temp) at 8110 miles flat land and at 8145 the EVIC notified me regeneration was complete. Didn't notice any mpg loss but did notice the oil temp was 7-10 degrees hotter when regenerating. My normal routine is driving at highway speeds on weekends 50 miles which is why I lasted so long before my first regen. It is a jeep, get out and explore.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just had my first regeneration notification at 8100 miles. Have had a couple road trips and also towed 5k load 700 miles through hills and mountains. The beast performed like a champ!! Started driving at highway speeds (76mph 74f outside temp) at 8110 miles flat land and at 8145 the EVIC notified me regeneration was complete. Didn't notice any mpg loss but did notice the oil temp was 7-10 degrees hotter when regenerating. My normal routine is driving at highway speeds on weekends 50 miles which is why I lasted so long before my first regen. It is a jeep, get out and explore.
That wasn't your first regen. It doesn't work that way. Your Jeep regens silently as needed based on back pressure sensors in the DPF. You won't know it unless you monitor the exhaust gas temperature with a gauge. I guarantee you it happens within a 300 mile interval or less. A normal regen occurs when the DPF has a partial loading of captured soot...20-40% full.

What you saw was the warning you get when the normal regen cycles fail due to excessive idling, short trips and/or low speeds where the regen attempts have aborted. The DPF then reaches 80% full and you are WARNED to drive at highway speeds to complete a regen and get the soot burned out. This should NEVER be ignored! You should drive at highway speeds non-stop for 20 minutes as soon as possible...otherwise the DPF will reach 100% and the vehicle will go to limp mode requiring a visit to the dealer. There they will force a stationary regen with the diagnostic computer to clear the DPF.

I use an ODB2 gauge (Scanguage2) to watch EGTs and try to make sure the regen finishes when possible. The cat temp goes to 1200°F during regen vs. 600°F under normal operation. I've never had an EVIC message in 22,500 miles but I watch it regen every few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem too. I drive to work in a small town. It takes me about 5 minutes per trip. I bought the Jeep about a month ago and have had it back to the dealer in limp mode three times.

Why didn't anybody tell me that it is no good for short trips? The problem is that I drove about 20 minutes at highway speed before it happened the first time.

I now wish that I had bought the gasoline version.

How can you drive at highway speeds if you're stuck in traffic or just arriving home with some ice cream or something? What do you have to do? Adapt your life style to suit the vehicle? This is total BS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How can you drive at highway speeds if you're stuck in traffic or just arriving home with some ice cream or something? What do you have to do? Adapt your life style to suit the vehicle? This is total BS.
Thank your federal government. They require DPF systems on all new diesels.

The 20 min drive needs to be non-stop above 50mph. If you did this once or twice a week, you'd be fine.

Most people who pay the $4500 premium for a diesel do so because they drive an above average number of miles per year and understand that the fuel savings will be realized over time. A 10 mile round trip commute is only 2600 miles a year. I drive 28,000 for work as an example.

In your case, without taking a scenic drive once or twice a week, the DPF will never get the chance to regenerate and will fill up. Perhaps a V6 gas engine would be better.

Although the issue you are having is by design and related to usage, check your states Lemon Law. The way the law is normally written, If it returns to the shop with the same issue repeatedly, you may have leverage for a factory buyback which is generally a better deal than trade in value. You will have to call Jeep Customer Care and politely suggest you are unsatisfied and the Lemon Law is an option. Be calm and work your way through it. You will want to maintain that you do drive 20 miles of highway use a few times a week.

Just trying to help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not sure you need to maintain 50..... I'm under the impression that after the regen starts you just need to keep moving. Nor do I think a full twenty minutes is needed. I haven't been on a highway in at least a thousand miles, maybe more. That's at least 4 regens. The road I travel to work has a section of 50, most of the 18 miles averages about 35.

By all rights I should drive my Prius to work but I really enjoy driving the Jeep and on the commute I get just above 32 mpg. With the around town thrown in I get around 28 average. I purchased it as a heavy lifter for pulling my trailer. The fact that it is also a very nice ride is a bonus.

But you purchased with good intentions and weekly highway "maintenance" trips regardless of the speed or duration should not considered reasonable.

My opinion ...... drive it the way that fits your lifestyle and when it has been in the shop for the same thing enough... use the lemon law and try to retrieve as much of the coast as possible.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was giving general advise on driving behavior to invoke and complete a regen. You are correct that a regen will continue at lower speeds once it starts. If you can't monitor the DPF temperature, you can't tell what is going on. I watch the DPF temp using a Scanguage2 and I can confirm that a regen can be completed in city driving and even sitting still if RPMs are held above 1200. This is difficult to do when in traffic, not easy sitting still, and certainly not something most owners would want to do. I did it just to see if I could.

I wish Jeep would have added a stationary regen button that first warns on the EVIC to only attempt on pavement. Yes, it would seem silly to city drivers to do this but it is mandatory to allow a regen...or go see the dealer. That's the way it is...thanks to the over regulation of the EPA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
EVIC message process flow...

Exhaust System – Regeneration Required Now

"Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy" will be displayed on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your diesel engine and exhaust aftertreatment system may never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy” message will be displayed in the EVIC. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition.

By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operating condition.

Exhaust System – Regeneration In Process Exhaust Filter XX% Full

Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is selfcleaning. Maintain your current driving condition until regeneration is completed.

Exhaust System – Regeneration Completed

Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) selfcleaning is completed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition.

Exhaust Service Required – See Dealer Now

Regeneration has been disabled due to a system malfunction. At this point the engine Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

Exhaust Filter Full – Power Reduced See Dealer

The PCM derates the engine in order to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the after-treatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. In order to correct this condition it will be necessary to have your vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer.
Please help me I am having this issue about once a week the car never used to do this but lately it has been doing the regeneration every one to two weeks I had to have a manual regeneration March 15 and now it is happening more often the dealer just tells me to drive I am afraid I keep doing that I went on a 50 mile trip two weeks ago and a 32 mile trip last week at 65 miles an hour I live in so cal sometimes it is difficult to find an open freeway lol the dealer and chrysler just keep saying to drive it I think they are having me drive all the warranty miles off LOL my jeep jc has 51k miles on it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Please help me I am having this issue about once a week the car never used to do this but lately it has been doing the regeneration every one to two weeks I had to have a manual regeneration March 15 and now it is happening more often the dealer just tells me to drive I am afraid I keep doing that I went on a 50 mile trip two weeks ago and a 32 mile trip last week at 65 miles an hour I live in so cal sometimes it is difficult to find an open freeway lol the dealer and chrysler just keep saying to drive it I think they are having me drive all the warranty miles off LOL my jeep jc has 51k miles on it
See if you can try different diesel fuel. I had this happen twice in about a week about 3 weeks or so ago and I went to a different station for diesel fuel and it hasn't done it since then. It could just be not so great diesel fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok I am back Rolly I just got a call from the dealer my JGC eco diesel has been at the dealer for almost a month they told me long shot but are going to replace the exhaust filter they told me its very rare they ever go out the service tech told me in all of the years there he has only seen this part replaced oonce and let me know it will be a 5K part also told me not to bring it back for the regeneration process. Told me to call Chrysler and have it bought back they are sick of dealing with me. I am not sure what to do about it I love the vehicle I bought it brand new the first year they came out. I got all the bells and whistles for almost 50K still have three years left on the payment everything about the vehicle is amazing except the exhaust issues I have constantly had. Not really sure what to do I have the Chrysler bumper to bumper extended warranty until 85K miles. My Jeep has 52K miles on it now. Any advice?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts