Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just got this 15 GC Overland with 175000km. The diffs aren't making noise but I do think they will maybe soon. I'm assuming they still have the original fluid inside.
My question is should I change the fluid or is it to late to change and with cause issues if I do??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
The diffs aren't making noise but I do think they will maybe soon. I'm assuming they still have the original fluid inside.
Seems like a big assumption, you haven't pointed to any evidence that would support it. And...they'll go a really long time before making any noise. And why would it ever be "too late"? Too late for what? The option to change fluids never expires, nor is there any point of no return on fluid changes.

That said, if it were my Jeep, the uncertainty of the previous service (or lack thereof) would be sufficient for me to change out the diff fluid, just because. Changing the fluid will not make anything worse. Even so, most Grand Cherokees see rather tame driving conditions which would probably never stress the fluid, so you're likely going to find that the diffs are fine. Now, if it were a well used Wrangler Rubicon with evidence of a lot of water crossings, that would be a different story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a big assumption, you haven't pointed to any evidence that would support it. And...they'll go a really long time before making any noise. And why would it ever be "too late"? Too late for what? The option to change fluids never expires, nor is there any point of no return on fluid changes.

That said, if it were my Jeep, the uncertainty of the previous service (or lack thereof) would be sufficient for me to change out the diff fluid, just because. Changing the fluid will not make anything worse. Even so, most Grand Cherokees see rather tame driving conditions which would probably never stress the fluid, so you're likely going to find that the diffs are fine. Now, if it were a well used Wrangler Rubicon with evidence of a lot of water crossings, that would be a different story.
I wasn't sure if it was like the transmission fluid witch there is a point of no return after a certain mileage, anyways thank you and I'll get on that right away.
Also I did figure out that the noise was coming from the a wheel bearing in the back. Changed that and everything is quite.
Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts