Diesel Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Ecodiesel grand Cherokee, bone stock, second owner, with about 74,000 miles. I have an appointment at jeep but it’s scheduled 3 weeks out due to how busy they are. I’m not a very mechanic person, but I’m trying to troubleshoot this and get some advice.

I was driving home and pulled into the gas station and left my jeep on while I ran inside. As soon as I opened the door I noticed a pretty loud rattle/clacking noise. It was almost like a soup can with a rock in it and it was shaking around. You can’t hear it when you are inside with the windows up. It sounds like it’s coming from the front of the jeep, maybe under the driver side or the wheel well or the engine. I’m not sure.

All of my gauges were reading fine, no check engine, and when I drove off I left my window down and the sound went away as soon as I started moving and didn’t happen when I got home and put it in park. About 2 days later I got home and it was doing it again. I’ve only driven it a couple times since, but it doesn’t do it on starting and it doesn’t always do it in park, but it has me concerned.

Any ideas what it could be? I’ll try to upload a video here in a few hours.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Administrator
29 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Ecodiesel grand Cherokee, bone stock, second owner, with about 74,000 miles. I have an appointment at jeep but it’s scheduled 3 weeks out due to how busy they are. I’m not a very mechanic person, but I’m trying to troubleshoot this and get some advice.

I was driving home and pulled into the gas station and left my jeep on while I ran inside. As soon as I opened the door I noticed a pretty loud rattle/clacking noise. It was almost like a soup can with a rock in it and it was shaking around. You can’t hear it when you are inside with the windows up. It sounds like it’s coming from the front of the jeep, maybe under the driver side or the wheel well or the engine. I’m not sure.

All of my gauges were reading fine, no check engine, and when I drove off I left my window down and the sound went away as soon as I started moving and didn’t happen when I got home and put it in park. About 2 days later I got home and it was doing it again. I’ve only driven it a couple times since, but it doesn’t do it on starting and it doesn’t always do it in park, but it has me concerned.

Any ideas what it could be? I’ll try to upload a video here in a few hours.

Thanks,
Justin
Welcome to the forum.

At that pitch and regularity it sounds like something hitting the fan, or the fan hitting something. The fan is thermostatically controlled, so it would only turn when the coolant is hot, and that seems consistent with what you describe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

At that pitch and regularity it sounds like something hitting the fan, or the fan hitting something. The fan is thermostatically controlled, so it would only turn when the coolant is hot, and that seems consistent with what you describe.
Hey John and thanks for your input.
I posted on Reddit too and got everything from the fan, my exhaust rattling somewhere, a bolt or rock somewhere in the skid plate, or something with mg transmission.

I’m no mechanic, but the transmission feels fine.. if drives good, can’t trigger the noise by revving the engine, still has power and no lagging when you drive it or get on it a little bit.

I also spent about 40 minutes under it looking for a loose bolt, loose heat shield, or anything like that but found nothing. That doesn’t say a lot though I could have easily missed it. I left it running about the last 20 minutes and it didn’t occur.

I was able to recreate it again today by driving about 5 miles, pulled back into my driveway, and it didn’t happen immediately when I put it in park but I revved it to a bit and it started again. It lasted maybe 4-5 minutes and then went away. It’s never happened on startup. Only after driving and when I put it in park. I’ve even drove with the window down to listen for it (it’s pretty loud I should hear it if it was happening).

Anyway..I have a jeep appointment on the 25th because I have an extended warranty for an Ecodiesel class action settlement my vehicle was included in, but it only covers the emission system components if I recall correctly. Jeep replaced an exhaust temperature control sensor and a few other things recently for free.

Sorry for the long response. Do you have any tips on how to check the fan? Again, the noise is definitely only heard when under the car.. I can’t tell if it’s front or rear really, somewhere in between, but it’s 100% not coming from the engine compartment.

·
Administrator
29 Posts
Hey John and thanks for your input.
I posted on Reddit too and got everything from the fan, my exhaust rattling somewhere, a bolt or rock somewhere in the skid plate, or something with mg transmission.

I’m no mechanic, but the transmission feels fine.. if drives good, can’t trigger the noise by revving the engine, still has power and no lagging when you drive it or get on it a little bit.

I also spent about 40 minutes under it looking for a loose bolt, loose heat shield, or anything like that but found nothing. That doesn’t say a lot though I could have easily missed it. I left it running about the last 20 minutes and it didn’t occur.

I was able to recreate it again today by driving about 5 miles, pulled back into my driveway, and it didn’t happen immediately when I put it in park but I revved it to a bit and it started again. It lasted maybe 4-5 minutes and then went away. It’s never happened on startup. Only after driving and when I put it in park. I’ve even drove with the window down to listen for it (it’s pretty loud I should hear it if it was happening).

Anyway..I have a jeep appointment on the 25th because I have an extended warranty for an Ecodiesel class action settlement my vehicle was included in, but it only covers the emission system components if I recall correctly. Jeep replaced an exhaust temperature control sensor and a few other things recently for free.

Sorry for the long response. Do you have any tips on how to check the fan? Again, the noise is definitely only heard when under the car.. I can’t tell if it’s front or rear really, somewhere in between, but it’s 100% not coming from the engine compartment.
If it isn't coming from the engine compartment it probably isn't the fan.

Is it only in Park? What happens if it is doing it and you shift into gear?

Is it the same at any engine speed? If it is doing it and you rev the engine does it speed up?

·
Administrator
29 Posts
Another possibility is the DEF injector, but it does not seem like it would follow the pattern you describe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it isn't coming from the engine compartment it probably isn't the fan.

Is it only in Park? What happens if it is doing it and you shift into gear?

Is it the same at any engine speed? If it is doing it and you rev the engine does it speed up?
I’ve only heard it in park. If I shift into gear and drive off it stops. It was happening and I drove off with my windows down and it stopped immediately.

Again, I’ve only heard it after driving and being in park, but it doesn’t happen every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve only heard it in park. If I shift into gear and drive off it stops. It was happening and I drove off with my windows down and it stopped immediately.

Again, I’ve only heard it after driving and being in park, but it doesn’t happen every time.
And if you dev the car up while it’s happening nothing really changes about the speed of the sound

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And if you dev the car up while it’s happening nothing really changes about the speed of the sound
Another possibility is the DEF injector, but it does not seem like it would follow the pattern you describe.
Does this help John? I’m stumped on what it is.. I just check. My power steering fluid is lower than minimum. I’ll pick some up today and top that off.

·
Administrator
29 Posts
The noise you recorded in that video sounds more like a rattle from a loose heat shield, or something similar. It is less "regular" than what I heard in the first recording. I had a similar noise with an Equinox (gas-powered) when a shield on the catalytic converter cracked. My mechanic welded it together and it has been quiet ever since.

The engine moves on its mounts based on the torque supplied, so it will be in a slightly different position in park than it will be in drive, and that could be enough to cause the noise to happen in one or the other since what is loose would move into or out of contact with whatever it is rattling against.

I'm not being a lot of help I'm afraid, but I will say that it doesn't sound like something that is about to fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts