Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's New here and have a question .We have just shy of 19,000 miles on our 2014 eco diesel GC and at the 10,000 mile mark e had oil changed at local dealer .sense then the MPG has gone from high 20's low 30's to High Nothing best I can pull out of it is 24 and that is no change to driving habit's or anything .I'm not new to diesel's so My Question is Could the Idiot's at the dealer put the wrong oil in ? when I ask that question I get told no way it would throw a CEL right away but .I can't take this Low MPG any more .I have a good friend with a eco Jeep and he had the same issue and they changed out the exhaust system and it fixed the Problem . What direction should I go ?Any more I can drive my truck and get better fuel Economy then I can with this thing .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey man I had the same issue with mine. Turns out its what happens when the DPF is having a passive regen. There won't be any code or EVIC message that shows its happening. The only way I was able to tell was that I'd have it in ACC and see my fuel economy go from the 35 range to no more than 24 or 25 MPG like you were describing. There is nothing wrong with it, that's just what it does. The system is shooting a whole lot more fuel in the line right before the DPF so it heats up to 1200 degrees to burn out the soot built up in the filter. It's shitty, but it is what it is. I got myself a $12 Bluetooth OBD reader from amazon and the Torque app for android phones so I can see when the regen is happening and get on the high way to clean out the filter. Unless you drive on the high way and drive ~15 minutes at 62 mph or more, you're going to have the same performance issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is it started right after they did the First Oil Change and has not gotten better in the last 10,000 miles so Regen is OUT. I believe it's a Plugged CAT . taking it in this week so we will figure it out here Soon. Thank's for the Reply.Driving fast in not a Problem 98% of the Miles have been freeway speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Checked my invoice and the fine folks at Midway Jeep had put in 11 quarts of the wrong oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's getting Ready to go in for the 20,000 mile service so we will see what they do this time .I have put up with Crappy MPG for the Last 10,000 miles it's about to stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok folks so there is a lot going on here. We had the same thing happen to us around the same mileage point. Also it happened again around the 38k mark. That being said its clear it's not due to the DPF in regen. That happens roughly 1-2X/tank depending on driving habits.
My assumption is the motor is doing a self clean on the EGR, causing more Soot to build up in the DPF causing more frequent REGEN thus bringing your mpg down. My wife noticed that around both of these times she received the message RGEN in progress keep driving type...
There really is no explanation for it other than your vehicle going through Regen more.
Region will happen as a result of the DPF reaching the Soot Mass to engage it thus using more fuel and lowering the efficiency of your vehicle thus showing a negative result of MPG loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have NEVER gotten a Message saying regen .I will find out soon thou. I will be dropping the Jeep off at Dealer to get Oil Change and a few repair's .

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have NEVER gotten a Message saying regen .I will find out soon thou. I will be dropping the Jeep off at Dealer to get Oil Change and a few repair's .
Most don't get that message. It's rare for us to see it. Thus far it's only been 1 time. I have a feeling most everyone may see this message over their time of ownership
Let when you get your oil changed and other repairs completed post up your result

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah spoke with Dealer and he said to do a Oil change and if it doesn't come back up we are going to look at a 16 when they come out . Appt. is set for mid week this week so we will see what they find .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guy's New here and have a question .We have just shy of 19,000 miles on our 2014 eco diesel GC and at the 10,000 mile mark e had oil changed at local dealer .sense then the MPG has gone from high 20's low 30's to High Nothing best I can pull out of it is 24 and that is no change to driving habit's or anything .I'm not new to diesel's so My Question is Could the Idiot's at the dealer put the wrong oil in ? when I ask that question I get told no way it would throw a CEL right away but .I can't take this Low MPG any more .I have a good friend with a eco Jeep and he had the same issue and they changed out the exhaust system and it fixed the Problem . What direction should I go ?Any more I can drive my truck and get better fuel Economy then I can with this thing .

Mine, 14 limited GC W2k, Doing the same. I drive 80 miles each way to Work at 80 mph and I avg 23.7 mpg. Dealership did a flash and changed a cat and changed DEF component. I have noticed differences between outside temp, it likes 60-65 a lot better than 30 degrees. Over the holiday I tried HOWES diesel fuel additive and drove a 300 miles, nonstop, at 75 mph into Texas and got 28.7 but have not been able to duplicate. Maybe they are using a computer programmer from VW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts