Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2014 JGC Diesel about a month ago. I'm loving the vehicle and have had no issues worthy of concern thus far. I've done some reading in the forum and have seen quite a bit of talk about software updates to adjust/improve various items.

Are these updates that can be applied by the owner, or only by the dealer? Am I right to assume that these are different from the UConnect software updates available through https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do ? My Jeep was delivered with the coolant slightly below the "Low" line and only half a tank of DEF, but the dealer fixed this after I pointed the issue out to them. No mention was made by the dealer about software updates at the time, though I didn't think to ask them whether any were available or whether they'd check on that without me asking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called my local dealership - the updates are applied on their end and cannot be applied by the customer. uConnect updates are separate from the actual vehicle updates.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Firmware updates to the various control modules (the software you refer to) are all covered under warranty. You won't get them automatically from most dealers. You have to have a problem that needs fixing....unless it's a rapid response update where every vehicle gets it. As an example, if you want the latest transmission update, look up the symptoms that TSB addresses and tell the service advisor you are having one of those issues. Then they will fix it under warranty. At least that is the method that works for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct - I meant to post about that but completely forgot. I confirmed this with a service adviser at an area dealership, who told me with a smile and a wink about having to report symptoms that match each TSB.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Firmware updates to the various control modules (the software you refer to) are all covered under warranty. You won't get them automatically from most dealers. You have to have a problem that needs fixing....unless it's a rapid response update where every vehicle gets it. As an example, if you want the latest transmission update, look up the symptoms that TSB addresses and tell the service advisor you are having one of those issues. Then they will fix it under warranty. At least that is the method that works for me.
btw, the transmission update addresses one of the very few flaws in the vehicle. It improves downshifting when going down steep grades. Before the update when I was in cruise control the GC would accelerate to 80 going down hill even when control was set at 65. With the new update it actively downshifts. When I went for an oil change I asked the dealer to do any updates and he did for no charge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer is telling me that after 3/36K, any firmware updates not Safety/recall related, must be paid for. Have you heard this ?? I asked about covered under extended warranty, but I get no answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts