Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about getting a diesel 2014 GC. What should I be looking for? Like many others I have read all of the horror stories. So far I will be looking at the Cat model number and the def injector. I figure if I can find one that has an AB cat it would be okay? If I get a check engine light and the 200 miles to no restart message comes on can I clear that with a diagnostic tool and it be okay? I worry most about being stuck somewhere because I travel quite a bit. I tried out the V8 yesterday and I am just afraid that the mpg will be terrible in Houston traffic (although the power was awesome). I had found one that I was going to go look at but the carfax said that it had failed an emissions test so I decided to stay away, it sold anyways. Would it be better to just wait and get a 2015?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would say as long as the CAT has been replaced, or if it was a 14 that received the newer design (if there is such a thing) then you should be OK. My CAT was replaced around 10k miles, I have not experienced any injector issues. My feelings are (from reading a lot of the problems reported on here) a lot of the injector problems were possibly misdiagnosed by service departments who may not have been aware of the bigger issue with the DEF/emission system. It seems lots of them were replaced and it didn't fix the problem. Personally I would just get a new one. I can't imagine there are many used diesel GC's on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am trying to save some money by buying used but I am willing to wait for a used 2015. Why cant you imagine that there are many used jeep GCs on the market? Because they are so great that no one would get rid of one or because no one is buying the new ones?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I am trying to save some money by buying used but I am willing to wait for a used 2015. Why cant you imagine that there are many used jeep GCs on the market? Because they are so great that no one would get rid of one or because no one is buying the new ones?
Used DIESEL GC's. I have to drive 250 miles away to buy mine new. They just don't make many of them compared to the gasoline version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used DIESEL GC's. I have to drive 250 miles away to buy mine new. They just don't make many of them compared to the gasoline version.
Yeah I meant Diesel. Perhaps I should have tried to grab that one I had found, the failed emissions test in the carfax just gave me a bad feeling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The inside scoop, from people who work at Jeep supporting mechanics at dealerships, is "DO NOT buy any Ecodiesel".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Make sure it has the converter upgrade! If so, go for it. I am very pleased with mine, but would never go through the frustration again that accompanied Jeeps early ineptitude in getting a fix for the converter & related glitches; and that's putting it mildly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014, been to the shop many times for several different issues, all under warranty of course.... Squeaky driver seat frame 3k miles, dealer replaced, center dash rattle 7k miles, dealer corrected, 3 days after off road trip front suspension noise 3k miles, dealer replaced sway bar assy as bushings seemed to have migrated, DEF Service Light 12k miles, dealer replaced PCM, DEF Injector, DEF Pump, and finally did a TSB from Chrysler Engineering where they had to add another wire to the injector system to the computer, seemed to fix the issue. Transmission hard down-shifting 12k miles, dealer did software update to fix. Working on a new Jeep while still under warranty :) , if you get one, drive it hard and break it in under warranty so you can get it fixed for free. Thought about trading it in for something else, but its still a Diesel GC, and couldn't do it..... Will see how it hold up next 2 years while under warranty, if it doesn't will trade in before the 3yr/36,000mi runs out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts