Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure if the dealers carry this oil but I am going to request they use pennzoil ultra 5w30 euro L, I heard it's the best oil for this motor unless someone tells me otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
CRD Vs New Diesel

I've not researched this yet due to not owning one yet. It is always best to go strictly with the manufactures spec on oil. From my experience with my VW, they specifically state a VW spec 507.1 oil. To find this oil you really have to look. The only source I found with any luck was the dealerships.

To this point, I found this link
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (WK) Oil Change Kit - 5175571AA - IDParts.com
This link does explain some of what Jeep recommends for there engines.

I need to read the specs on the Mobil Delvac oils. Standard fair in the big rigs.

Note....Ops the supplied like states for CRD Jeep Diesels. Sorry

A better link may be this one...
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2356

This is a 507 spec oil

·
Registered
218 Posts
From the diesel supplement to the owner's manual...

(SAE 5W-30 Synthetic, API Certified Low Ash)

"We recommend you use ACEA C3 5W-30 engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Penzoil Ultra Euro L full sythetic 5W-30 motor oil."

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you choose oil that is ACEA C3 5W-30 and meets MS-11106 standards, you will not void warranty. You will have to keep receipts to be able to prove what you used. Me, I'm planning on keeping receipt for everything on this vehicle, have considered it for even diesel fuel but I'm bad about that if the pump doesn't spit out a receipt. As for the oil, I may take photos of the bottles but I think that is overkill. Then again, it's pretty easy to shoot a pic and just drop it in a file on the computer. Ultimately, I suppose the actual bottle would be ideal, but that's nuts.

The most important thing is that you use oil that meets these specs - and if you find oil that meets the Chrysler MS-11106 standard it will (or should) by default be ACEA C3 oil - AND you document what you used, the manufacturer cannot hold the type of oil you used against you.

Seems like Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 and the Penzoil Euro L are the two main options. I doubt there is any difference besides cost. I've always been a fan of Mobil1, will probably go with whatever I can find locally or online with free shipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oneblueman - I agree with you. I like the Mobil 1. But lately I have using the Chevron Delo 400 Synth in my Cummins and seems to make a difference. I tried the Mobil Delvac, but like this better... and to top it off you can get it by the gallon at Wal-Mart!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure the Chevron oil meets the Chrysler standard specd for the VM Motori 3.0L diesel. Is that even a 5w30 oil? Obviously it's up to you in the end, but I'd be sure you want to stray from what they recommend and what that might do to any future warranty claims....

BTW, fellow BMW coupe owner - '07 Z4M.....got it from a guy in Alexandria as a matter of fact....

·
Registered
12 Posts
From the diesel supplement to the owner's manual...

(SAE 5W-30 Synthetic, API Certified Low Ash)

"We recommend you use ACEA C3 5W-30 engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Penzoil Ultra Euro L full sythetic 5W-30 motor oil."

One thing that I do to track my fuel purchases is to use a site called www.fuelly.com
I have tracked every purchase of fuel and fuelly tracks price, gallons, miles, and allows me to in a comment block to add where I bought it. I use it on trips also as well as my every day purchases. You can also search of other users by vehicle and see how others are fairing with their MOG also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure the Chevron oil meets the Chrysler standard specd for the VM Motori 3.0L diesel. Is that even a 5w30 oil? Obviously it's up to you in the end, but I'd be sure you want to stray from what they recommend and what that might do to any future warranty claims....

BTW, fellow BMW coupe owner - '07 Z4M.....got it from a guy in Alexandria as a matter of fact....[/QUOTE]

good point. I am using it in my Cummins and I cant remember if I put it in my Liberty or not... Love the Z. not an M. but almost as fun...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let us know what the dealer charges. It'll need a new filter as well.
Just ordered Pennzoil Ultra Euro L from Amazon -- free shipping -- and a filter. Sad to see the filter is 'made in china' as stamped on teh bottom of the Mopar part.
Our JiffyLube will allow you to bring in your own oil & filter, just charge for draining & refilling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where can I order both oil and filter? I can't seem to find both from the same place and I'd hate to pay for shipping twice. Nobody local carries the oil, not even the dealership at the moment.. Good ol small towns!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my jeep's oil changed this past weekend while it was in for a check engine light. Total cost was $155. Took 8 quarts of synthetic oil and I think the filter was about $40 but I would have to check the receipt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just made my oil change in Canada with 5w30 Pennzoil euro L. In cold operation seems to be ok.
I am going to a road trip up to California and for next oil change. Is it more appropriate full syn but 5w40 in hot weather operation?
Or we stat stick to the recommandation for 5w30?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Regardless of engine, I would stick to an oil that meets all of the specifications, ratings and viscosity found in your owner's manual. They go to great lengths to spell that out and it's a big factor in whether or not your engine warranty is voided if a problem develops.

They leave it up to you to select the brand you prefer. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just made my oil change in Canada with 5w30 Pennzoil euro L. In cold operation seems to be ok.
I am going to a road trip up to California and for next oil change. Is it more appropriate full syn but 5w40 in hot weather operation?
Or we stat stick to the recommandation for 5w30?
Doesn't affect it, you will be fine with the Pennzoil 5W30.

In summer i'll probably fill it with 10W30 or SAE30, because it won't need cold start viscosity improvers, 10W30 is more robust and typically shows better wear numbers.
Often the manufactures are specifying oils that are lighter viscosity to meet their fuel economy and cold starting objectives. 5W40 may show less wear at the expense of some fuel economy, because of the extra drag on the oil pump etc, however the additional film strength will lower wear (typically).

I'll be taking some oil analysis samples, thats where the rubber meets the road on what actually works.

·
Registered
4 Posts

BTW, fellow BMW coupe owner - '07 Z4M.....got it from a guy in Alexandria as a matter of fact....
What about the oil filter. Dealer item only ??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts