Diesel Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My so far problem free 2014 Limited is closing in on 10,000 miles and ready for an oil change and some of the dreaded DEF. I have read many comments on the problems of using Mopar and non-Mopar DEF and a few positive comments of filling the tank at truck stops as well. I am just curious how many of you have actually filled up at a truck stop pump without any issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, here it goes.
At one of my visits to the dealer going through the DEF saga, the dealer used a refractometer to check my BLUE DEF fluid. It made it through with flying colors and said it was as perfect as it can be. Lesson to be learned , Save your money and buy the blue def at a good source with a good turn over.
Next, If your a good DIY'er then you can do your own oil change and use this oil
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A49J02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this filter http://www.ebay.com/itm/111465041752?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT again save your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I thought about doing it myself because my local dealer wants almost $300 including DEF. All the horror stories I have read on here makes me think it might be better to pay them in case problems arise. That way they won't be able to blame me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Perhaps you need a new dealer..... mine charges 140.00 for an oil change and DEF is an ongoing expense. If I could reduce the cost by half by doing it myself.... DEF and oil could possible save me 120.00 a year. But how would I keep my updates current? How do I make sure my warranty is not compromised? Ten bucks a month..... balance against a $38,000 vehicle doesn't seem like a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
^ agree with Casper2. I'll have my local dealership do my oil changes (it's about the same $ as him) but I'll fill the DEF tank myself. (after I buy MOPAR brand DEF of course!).

·
Registered
18 Posts
^ agree with Casper2. I'll have my local dealership do my oil changes (it's about the same $ as him) but I'll fill the DEF tank myself. (after I buy MOPAR brand DEF of course!).
I purchased the prepaid contract up front, for oil and filter changes at my MI dealer when I purchased the vehicle. $360 for eight oil and filter changes . . . which I thought was terrific. God bless my sales guy . . .
And yes, the DEF is my total responsibility. To date (12,600 miles), I have used Purolator BlueDef exclusively with no issues. I do intend to try the Pilot Stations DEF product when it is convenient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to another dealer and they said $90-$100 for an oil change. I asked what kind of oil and they said I don't know...synthetic. I said it's a specific type it calls for. They said we will run the VIN to see what is speced, we haven't serviced an Ecodiesel yet. Should that be a red flag?

That's a great deal on the prepaid oil changes. I didn't even think about including some with the deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I talked to another dealer and they said $90-$100 for an oil change. I asked what kind of oil and they said I don't know...synthetic. I said it's a specific type it calls for. They said we will run the VIN to see what is speced, we haven't serviced an Ecodiesel yet. Should that be a red flag?

That's a great deal on the prepaid oil changes. I didn't even think about including some with the deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was fortunate to have a proactive sales person.
I have to also add and I should have mentioned this earlier, I did also purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle for $2K, that may have impacted the additional oil and filter contract. More than likely so, but overall still a good deal in my mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
And . . . the oil requirements are well known and the dealers use the specified required oil. Trust me. I watched them and logged the brand of oil and it's specifications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to share an update. I had the dealer change the oil and take care of a few TSBs. I filled up with DEF at the pump from a Love's Truckstop for $2.79 a gallon. I called their customer service line and they verified it is API Certified to ISO 22241. 200 miles without an issue yet (knock on wood). Since DEF has a shelf life that is reduced by sunlight and temperature, I would think being stored underground at a very busy truck stop would be better than what the dealer had for sale that was made in May 2014.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just filled up the DEF tank at a Royal Farms in Delaware for 2.19/gal. I was 25% full when I started, and it took about 5 gallons which got me to about 90%. I had to fill it very slow cuz the auto shutoff valve kept tripping. The truck stop was empty and I paid with my card right at the pump. Couldn't be easier. 100 miles later I finished my trip and have no error messages yet. Way cheaper than the 5-6 bucks a gallon for Peak on Amazon. Hopefully no message pops up! Summer driving season is here! *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wanted to share an update. I had the dealer change the oil and take care of a few TSBs. I filled up with DEF at the pump from a Love's Truckstop for $2.79 a gallon. I called their customer service line and they verified it is API Certified to ISO 22241. 200 miles without an issue yet (knock on wood). Since DEF has a shelf life that is reduced by sunlight and temperature, I would think being stored underground at a very busy truck stop would be better than what the dealer had for sale that was made in May 2014.
My thoughts exactly. I only use truck stop DEF. Screw Mopar and their $9/gal DEF. Also...for those having trouble filling up the DEF tank at truck stops see attached link. To prevent DEF from being dispensed in the wrong tank the DEF pump manufacturers install a magnetic safety device that prevents the nozzle from dispensing. Yes, they tried to idiot proof this procedure of refilling the DEF tank. I'm not entirely sure of this so don't quote me but I believe that big rig DEF tanks are equipped with a magnet so the nozzles dispense correctly. If you are not driving a big rig you need to either ask for this collar at the counter or purchase one yourself. Slip it over the DEF nozzle and presto...DEF flow. In my experience most truck stops will let you use the one at the counter...you just have to ask for it.

http://www.opwglobal.com/products/us/retail-fueling-products/above-ground-products/21st-century-green-innovations/opw-21gu-def-nozzle/21gu-def-nozzle

·
Registered
6 Posts
My so far problem free 2014 Limited is closing in on 10,000 miles and ready for an oil change and some of the dreaded DEF. I have read many comments on the problems of using Mopar and non-Mopar DEF and a few positive comments of filling the tank at truck stops as well. I am just curious how many of you have actually filled up at a truck stop pump without any issues? Thanks.
I've been using DEF from Walmart and my JGC ED has 16K miles. No DEF flags or warnings. I DO have a check engine light problem that my dealer says in the catalytic converter (presently being replaced).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy. I'm Erich, and I own Five Star DEF LLC. We develop and sell DEF accessories that can make owning a clean diesel more economical. In response to the question about DEF magnets: Many truck stops sell bulk DEF that is less expensive than packaged DEF, and is manufactured to the exact same specification as OEM DEF. Some truck stops use a magnet-activated nozzle that uses a "Misfill prevention device". It requires a device with a magnet in it for DEF to be dispensed from the nozzle. Most light trucks and vehicles don't have the magnet installed in the filler neck that is part of the vehicle. The hand held device that is needed for our light trucks and vehicles is fairly expensive (about $30 plus shipping).

We were asked by several of our RV customers that use our products (jugs and spouts) to come up with a more affordable device - so we did and we've sold over 150 of them on eBay and our website. We call it the DEF Magnevator.

We're currently testing a lower profile device that works exactly the same way that will be easier to use for vehicles with smaller fuel/DEF doors. Look for it in a week or so on our website and eBay.

Thanks for listening! We don't own a Jeep Clean Diesel, but we are part of the Jeep family - we own a mostly restored 1979 FSJ Wagoneer with a built 360 and small lift.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was considering 'truck stop def' for my next fill- maybe at a Pilot outlet. I guess all dispensers would 'need the magnet adaptor'? I see the VICTORY brand is a large bulk supplier. (I found out they make the Valvoline DEF product).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I buy BlueDef at Walmart. $12 for a gallon, easy to use packaging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 GC diesel. Bought DEF from national truck stop. Dealer says DEF fluid bad, caused crystalization, now needs new injector and pump. Cost $2,100 not covered under warranty because DEF fluid bad and not Jeep/Chrysler responsibility. Anyone with similar problems?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I suggest you find a different service department. All major truck stop DEF meets ISO 22241...in fact I would be shocked to find any DEF in this country that does not meet that spec. If you kept your receipt or know exactly when you filled up they (Pilot, Loves, Flying Jay ???) should be able to send you test reports on that batch of DEF. Its a pain in the ass to find the right person to talk to...but a few phone calls may save you a bunch of $. This nonsense that bad DEF is causing problems with the shitty Bosh emission system is ludicrous. Educate yourself through this forum and other diesel jeep threads and have another chat with your service department. Did they even test it or just claim it was bad? If they (or another service department) won't budge it will be a cheaper option to get a reprogramed ECM from Green Diesel Engineering...pretty sure that will wipe the "bad injector" problem. Personally I would not give Fiat/Chrysler a dime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2014 GC diesel. Bought DEF from national truck stop. Dealer says DEF fluid bad, caused crystalization, now needs new injector and pump. Cost $2,100 not covered under warranty because DEF fluid bad and not Jeep/Chrysler responsibility. Anyone with similar problems?

I strongly agree with hrider. I always save my receipts and if faced with those kinds of repair costs, I would definitely have contacted the offending truck stop.
I cannot believe any national truck stop would knowingly sell corrupt DEF fluid. Their big rig customers would never be back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts