Diesel Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
just found this forum so though I would add my horror story to the mix

So- first of all- I have a 14 GC Overland with 10k miles. Problems all started at about 5k miles- well documented MIL issues and after 6 trips finally got a cat converter. Jeep drove fine for about 150 miles then dreaded MIL back on. This time though code P1071- too lean bank one error code. take back to dealer who after a couple of days states- we checked your fuel with the "styrofoam" cup test and we think there is regular gas in the tank- I had the receipt from the last fillup and showed them- also got a sample from them. Fuel looked fine to me- took the sample to nearby lab for testing- 1100 dollars to drop/flush fuel tank and lines and filters- not covered by warranty of course. They called my wife and she okayed the repairs before talking with me. So OK- get the jeep and they left me with less than a gallon of gas after the repair so on the way home need to get diesel- I only go to high volume gas stations in order to try and get good diesel. anyway fill it up and not 50 miles later- MIL back on same code P1071. REALLY PO'd now- take back to dealer- get back to me one day later and low and behold- exact same diagnosis- 'Bad gas" and want another 1100 to fix- I tell them to p%ss up a rope and take the jeep home- Jeep has driven fine through it all- with absolutely no symptoms of gas in tank. waiting for appt at new dealership, one with an actual 3.0 certified mechanic. I am pursuing legal action pending test results.

One more thing- this 'styrofoam' cup test- I asked them how they did it and to show me the cup they used- It was a Sonic fast food drink cup- so I went to Sonic and got five cups- went to 5 different gas stations and got diesel samples from each- Low and behold- all 5 had diesel weaping through cup. A positive test for them. So as you can only imagine I am beyond frustrated, PO'd and all of the above. I am hoping that a new dealership can actually figure out what is going on- There is a new TSB from March #18-023-15 which states that pcm needs to be re-flashed and symptoms may include p0171 error code. Hoping this is the issue but who freakin knows. vaccuum leak, airflow sensor, continued DEF problems could be any of the above.

Just so everyone knows the dealer in question is on S Broadway in Denver, CO- I would stay away from them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you live in CT? I have associates in CT . . .
Your comments make no sense.
No dealer "tops off" DEF tanks. It is an eight gallon tank that requires periodic maintenance (i.e., the owner has to refill it as needed).
By you own comments, the DEF you purchased a Home Depot, to save money, was chemically correct. Your point in that discussion?
The block heater is, was, and has always been an option. The $147 installation after the vehicle has been built is an industry reasonable charge. Check this out with your local Audi, BMW, Mercedes, or Toyota dealer. You may be surprised at the extremely low cost your Jeep dealer charged you.
Your newly installed block heater had/has nothing to do with your remote start capability. So I do not understand your comment about "I couldn't use my remote starter" . . . ?
Bone up on your vehicle and it's features please.
It's called an "Owners Manual?
You did after all pay $57K for your JGC Summit.
One would think that someone investing that kind of money would at least be aware of the rudimentary functions of a "diesel powered" SUV???
You are concerned about the dealer?
I am more concerned about "you" the lost customer . . .

Tom
Tom, You are incorrect that the DEF should not have been topped off. After I purchased mine the indicator came on indicating that the DEF was low. My wife took it the dealer and was charged for having DEF added to the system and was not pleased so I did some research and found that the dealership was responsible for filling it up and charging it back to Chrysler under a special dealer prep code.

As indicated on the “New Vehicle Preparation Form,” dealers are requested to fill the DEF
tank just prior to delivering the vehicle to the owner. Labor Operation 25-08-01-40 can be
used to reimburse dealers for this DEF fill. This Labor Operation can only be used prior to
resale delivery and is not intended to be used for any warranty repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eric . . . sorry that my criticisms of foolish postings do not sit well with you, but dealers are not required, nor do they top off fluids on delivery. Especially fuel (i.e. gasoline or diesel).
Please do review your original Mulroney (window sticker) as I believe it actually actually mentions five gallons of fuel on delivery.
Dealers do top off incidentals like windshield washer fluid (read that inexpensive) during most maintenence visits though, as you mentioned
And regarding DEF, the vehicle is shipped from the build source with six gallons + or - gallons.
On delivery my sales person walked me through "ALL", yes "ALL", of the particulars regarding my wonderful new vehicle (DEF, DEF fundamentals, diesel fundamentals and cautions, all features, all option fundamentals, and actually help me set up and adjust the myriad of different option settings and requirements. He spent at least forty five minutes with the wife and myself.
And regarding learning curves, the SCR diesel emmision systems and diesel engines have been out there for decades. Relatively new to some segments but the infomation is out there for all to see, understand, and utilize. One would think that buyers purchasing such a vehicle would enlighten themselves on what they are buying?
I too like this forum, but cannot let foolish and derogatory comments about my Jeep Eco Diesel go unchallenged.
No flame intended.
Just the facts, for all to see.
Peace . . .
Actually you are not correct in your assertion that the dealer is not required to top off the DEF. After I purchased mine the indicator came on indicating that the DEF was low. My wife took it the dealer and was charged for having DEF added to the system and was not pleased so I did some research and found that the dealership was responsible for filling it up and charging it back to Chrysler under a special dealer prep code. After providing the correct information I was able to get reimbursed for the DEF that was purchased and got the tank completely filled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When Mine was delivered in Jan 2014 it came with about 5 gallons of DEF.... I expected this but at the time there was so much chatter on this forum that I decided to take a wait and see attitude. There was a TB instructing the dealer to top-off at the customers request...... I asked them not to. I did not think I would be doing enough driving to keep the DEF reasonably fresh. I think I understand the logic of estimating usage and purchasing on an as need basis........like with milk or bread, but not the just because approach. If it's about the money, maybe you could ask for a credit to be used when you need it. If it's about them not getting anything over on you..... I guess that's O.K. too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer I purchased from made a point to show me the full indicator on the DEF when I took delivery since "it was a factory requirement for dealer prep on diesel WK2's." I joked with sale guy, "so you're not just being nice?" He laughed, said "no we have to do it."

·
Registered
124 Posts
They topped mine off when they did the Cat..... at no charge.... and the tank. since I had less than a 1/4 tank when I took it in for the cat that would be about 60 bucks worth of diesel. I'm sure that if you get a lemon it's one thing but a bad dealership (or pissed off one) could turn what would be an otherwise good vehicle into one. When I first started watching this forum I noticed how much pride some were taking in "making the dealership do things".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Guess I spoke to soon. Since my trip to NY the Check engine light has gone off three times. The dealership says computer updates have fixed the errors. Now at just over 12k miles the Check engine light has gone off and it has to do with the DEF system. So I bet just like last time we are going to go through the same steps. They said the injector had crystals and have cleaned it. Next I bet I'll have to have it replaced and eventually the catalytic converter.

I told service that if that happened I would be dealing with them in a not so calm matter and would either demand a buy back or seek legal options. We'll see!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just as I posted previously...

The injector now has to be replaced!

I talked to the dealership about a replacement and they can get me a 2015 (not in the original color though) for about 17K more. Are they kidding?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told that DEF has a short shelf life before it starts to precipitate and as it does your injector will clog. If you buy it from a place which stores in bulk then you are more likely to get an old container at sometime and you problems start. I asked the dealer if I should only place what I would use in 3 months or less. They told me with the movement of the vehicle would help keep it suspended longer. Still no one could answer how long. Have you been told this or anything else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2014 eco diesel that was in and out of the shop 14 times for the check engine light. They did much of the same thing that everyone says they have had done. Updates, parts replaced, every sensor replaced and still did not fix the problem. I ended up filing Lemon Law and won. Thinking that is was just bugs that they hadnt been able to work out because of it being a new thing for Jeep I ordered a 2015 diesel now at 2600 miles the engine light is on. I have an appt tomorrow at the dealership for them to put it on the computer. Love the jeep has great power smooth ride but its a pain to have to have it serviced constantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the club. My check engine light came on last week and I was finally able to make it to my local dealership yesterday to have the code "officially" read (took it to an AutoZone and they read it for free...P20EE...which pretty much meant a new cat). They came back to me yesterday and said it needs a new cat! Well...no crap! I keep telling myself that this stuff is only happening because it's a brand new vehicle with a brand new engine, but the cat issue is flat out pathetic. Wrote to Jeep on their website to make me feel better. Im frustrated that I paid $45K for mine...$57 for yours??! Must be the high end summit model then? Good luck.
I have a '14 Summit Diesel with almost 40K. It seems that while I have been away on this tour the P20EE has come on. It went out but I suspect it will be back.
Today (8 Oct. 15) my wife was driving and had a high oil temperature of 276 degrees and it smelled like it was burning. Evidently something having to do with the overflow tank hose "Burping" fluid out. Today had a code of P2457 which does have to do with the cooling system.
I'm thinking I will just take the Catalytic Converter out when I get home on break in a few weeks. I really do not need to deal with vehicle issues with a 50K Jeep that is a year old.
As far as the higher oil temperature, I will have to look into that. There is no reference of a normal operating range that I know of. It just gives you static readings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum, but I've been reading up on the issues and updates you guys have had on your GC diesels. My wife and I are looking to purchase one, and have found one in our area. 2014 Limited 4wd with 30k miles. He is apparently frustrated with the problems it has had and wants out. He has had a glowplug replaced, and went to the dealer three times until they finally replaced the cat around 26k miles. I was supposed to go look at it this week, but he called me back and said the CEL was back on. According to them, they replaced the cat with the DEFECTIVE kind and are having to replace it AGAIN with the AB Cat! He was pretty pissed and got them to add on the MOPAR maximum protection bumper to bumper warranty that is good until 2018 or 100k miles.

From what I'm reading the GC should be fairly smooth sailing once they replace the cat with the CORRECT kind. But my wife is understandably a bit nervous after this thing has been back in the shop. The warranty is transferable. Any input? Wondering if theoretically I should be in the clear, or if I should keep looking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
New to the forum, but I've been reading up on the issues and updates you guys have had on your GC diesels. My wife and I are looking to purchase one, and have found one in our area. 2014 Limited 4wd with 30k miles. He is apparently frustrated with the problems it has had and wants out. He has had a glowplug replaced, and went to the dealer three times until they finally replaced the cat around 26k miles. I was supposed to go look at it this week, but he called me back and said the CEL was back on. According to them, they replaced the cat with the DEFECTIVE kind and are having to replace it AGAIN with the AB Cat! He was pretty pissed and got them to add on the MOPAR maximum protection bumper to bumper warranty that is good until 2018 or 100k miles.

From what I'm reading the GC should be fairly smooth sailing once they replace the cat with the CORRECT kind. But my wife is understandably a bit nervous after this thing has been back in the shop. The warranty is transferable. Any input? Wondering if theoretically I should be in the clear, or if I should keep looking.

I'm a big fan of the vehicle. I never had any down time. We got the CEL related to the CAT replacement. Our
dealer first tried a software upgrade (took 1/2 hour). After a week the CEL came back on so he scheduled us for the CAT replacement. We continued to drive it until the parts came in, then it was a 3 hour repair. Besides that, NO OTHER ISSUES. I use Blue Def that I get at truck stops or auto supply shops. The only Mopar Blue Def was the 1/4 tank the vehicle had when I picked it up new. (one other issue, the UConnect fiasco. I downloaded the new software and upgraded it myself.)

We use it for both around town and long distance. Often towing. The fuel economy is great. Close to 30 on the hwy, 24-25 around town. Tows like a dream. Have 34 K now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a big fan of the vehicle. I never had any down time. We got the CEL related to the CAT replacement. Our
dealer first tried a software upgrade (took 1/2 hour). After a week the CEL came back on so he scheduled us for the CAT replacement. We continued to drive it until the parts came in, then it was a 3 hour repair. Besides that, NO OTHER ISSUES. I use Blue Def that I get at truck stops or auto supply shops. The only Mopar Blue Def was the 1/4 tank the vehicle had when I picked it up new. (one other issue, the UConnect fiasco. I downloaded the new software and upgraded it myself.)

We use it for both around town and long distance. Often towing. The fuel economy is great. Close to 30 on the hwy, 24-25 around town. Tows like a dream. Have 34 K now.
That's what I'm hoping for. Love everything about the diesel! I saw someone else talking about the DEF crystallizing. This thing will probably be sitting most of the week and out and about on the weekends. Is that something I need to be aware of, or has anyone else had problems with that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A November 2015 update . . . I just took our GC EcoDiesel in for an 18,000 mile oil and filter change. The dealer reflashed a few software updates and replaced my SCR Catalyst (many discussions in this forum). It appears that FCA is finally on top of a couple of the most discussed issues (SCR, DEF, and associated warning lights) that appeared on early production models. Google these two Rapid Response Transmittals, RRT 15-093, and RRT 15-096.
Although these bulletins say they are not supposed to be reproduced without FCA's approval, they are indeed out there and explain the corrections taking place (I have uploaded RRT 15-093. RRT 15-096 is too large for this forum's size requirements).
Still love our GC and would encourage prospective buyers to purchase one. We are getting 33+ miles per gallon on the highway.
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 8700 miles on my 2014 Grand Cherokee, and recently had the check engine light come on. I took it to the dealer, at which time they replaced the Powertrain Control Board (PCB).
This worked for 24 hours, then the light came on again.
Drove to the dealership again, at which time i've made an appointment for them to do a deeper diagnosis.

Several things have manifested themselves in the two days of driving with the light on.
1. Remote start does not work
2. Rough ride... no longer the smooth vehicle i was so in love with
3. economy has gone to heck... averaging 13 mpg
4. feel like my all-wheel drive is fighting itself... twitchy steering wheel etc.

Has anyone else had this happen?
I was in love with my GC w/Ecodiesel, but i'm now afraid of what lies ahead.

Has anyone else heard of this anomoly?
Could be this problem. My Jeep has this problem after owning less than 24 hrs.
A Defective TIPM Is Causing Dangerous Power Problems in Chrysler Vehicles

Defective TIPMs Lead to Power Problems
Is Chrysler purposely ignoring dangerous power management issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 8700 miles on my 2014 Grand Cherokee, and recently had the check engine light come on. I took it to the dealer, at which time they replaced the Powertrain Control Board (PCB).
This worked for 24 hours, then the light came on again.
Drove to the dealership again, at which time i've made an appointment for them to do a deeper diagnosis.

Several things have manifested themselves in the two days of driving with the light on.
1. Remote start does not work
2. Rough ride... no longer the smooth vehicle i was so in love with
3. economy has gone to heck... averaging 13 mpg
4. feel like my all-wheel drive is fighting itself... twitchy steering wheel etc.

Has anyone else had this happen?
I was in love with my GC w/Ecodiesel, but i'm now afraid of what lies ahead.

Has anyone else heard of this anomoly?
Could be this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just found this forum so though I would add my horror story to the mix

So- first of all- I have a 14 GC Overland with 10k miles. Problems all started at about 5k miles- well documented MIL issues and after 6 trips finally got a cat converter. Jeep drove fine for about 150 miles then dreaded MIL back on. This time though code P1071- too lean bank one error code. take back to dealer who after a couple of days states- we checked your fuel with the "styrofoam" cup test and we think there is regular gas in the tank- I had the receipt from the last fillup and showed them- also got a sample from them. Fuel looked fine to me- took the sample to nearby lab for testing- 1100 dollars to drop/flush fuel tank and lines and filters- not covered by warranty of course. They called my wife and she okayed the repairs before talking with me. So OK- get the jeep and they left me with less than a gallon of gas after the repair so on the way home need to get diesel- I only go to high volume gas stations in order to try and get good diesel. anyway fill it up and not 50 miles later- MIL back on same code P1071. REALLY PO'd now- take back to dealer- get back to me one day later and low and behold- exact same diagnosis- 'Bad gas" and want another 1100 to fix- I tell them to p%ss up a rope and take the jeep home- Jeep has driven fine through it all- with absolutely no symptoms of gas in tank. waiting for appt at new dealership, one with an actual 3.0 certified mechanic. I am pursuing legal action pending test results.

One more thing- this 'styrofoam' cup test- I asked them how they did it and to show me the cup they used- It was a Sonic fast food drink cup- so I went to Sonic and got five cups- went to 5 different gas stations and got diesel samples from each- Low and behold- all 5 had diesel weaping through cup. A positive test for them. So as you can only imagine I am beyond frustrated, PO'd and all of the above. I am hoping that a new dealership can actually figure out what is going on- There is a new TSB from March #18-023-15 which states that pcm needs to be re-flashed and symptoms may include p0171 error code. Hoping this is the issue but who freakin knows. vaccuum leak, airflow sensor, continued DEF problems could be any of the above.

Just so everyone knows the dealer in question is on S Broadway in Denver, CO- I would stay away from them
Or could be related to this maybe?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I'm not at all surprised to hear about others problems with the 14 GC ecodiesel! I've had my Summit since August and have almost 15K miles on it.

My first issue arose because the dealer I purchased it from failed to top off the DEF, so I got a low DEF 500 miles to disable message at 4,500 miles. Since I had no idea what this was all about, I had the dealer top it off to the tune of 82.00 that I later found out should have been free of charge.

Then I purchased a 2.5gal jug of DEF at Home Depot for about $11 to save some money and as you would expect I got the Incorrect DEF-See Dealer message. The service department found nothing wrong with the DEF and fortunately they were able to reset the computer with no repairs or cost to me. I subsequently purchased MOPAR DEF at the dealer for $22 and it seems to work fine.

Then recently my engine light came on and I had my 10,000 mile service while the dealer reset the computer. They said there was a service bulletin that related to DEF & that is why the light came on.

A week and a half and 500 miles later the light was on again. I decided I needed to plug in my block heater due to the cold weather here in northern New England, so while in the shop to reset the computer again, I had them install the cord for $145. It's hard to believe this wasn't included in a $57K vehicle!

Well the block heater seems to work but the engine light came back, so of course I couldn't use my remote starter while the vehicle was parked outside in the cold all weekend! Now they say I need a new catalytic converter, but they're on back order until next week. They said it's okay to drive the vehicle. This time the reset lasted about 1 1/2 days and the light is back again.

I'm very concerned that they really have no idea what to do to fix these problems! It's a great vehicle in many ways, but the aggravation and relatively high cost of diesel plus DEF makes me question why anyone would buy another diesel.

Eco diesels come with the block heater installed in the block. All I had to do was purchase a cord and plug it in the receptacle on the right side.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts