Diesel Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was reading about all the DEF problems. My 2014 GC w/EcoDiesel just started having DEF problems. But I've been having other issues for past 8 months. 6 oil leak problems, they replaced a clamp, new oil drain plug, new oil pan seals. Now they put dye in oil because they cannot tell where the leak is. In the middle of all the oil leak problems the car developed an exhaust problem (5 times in shop) with the diesel fumes coming back into the car. Clamps replaced. Issued solved for about 1 month, now the SCR cap on the Catalytic converter has to be replaced. Then the check engine light keeps coming on. Now I have the message about the DEF "Engine will not restart in 135 miles" "Add DEF or see Dealer for service" Well DEF level is at 95%. Today the dealer informed me that they have to order new engine gaskets. DEF message will not go away and they have to contact Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep for answers. My dealer has 1 qualified diesel mechanic. The other dealer with qualified diesel mechanic is 2.5 hours away.

I love the GC especially the milage I get 24.8-25.4 in city and 32.0+ on Hwy.

Just wondering if anyone else had any or all of these problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was reading about all the DEF problems. My 2014 GC w/EcoDiesel just started having DEF problems. But I've been having other issues for past 8 months. 6 oil leak problems, they replaced a clamp, new oil drain plug, new oil pan seals. Now they put dye in oil because they cannot tell where the leak is. In the middle of all the oil leak problems the car developed an exhaust problem (5 times in shop) with the diesel fumes coming back into the car. Clamps replaced. Issued solved for about 1 month, now the SCR cap on the Catalytic converter has to be replaced. Then the check engine light keeps coming on. Now I have the message about the DEF "Engine will not restart in 135 miles" "Add DEF or see Dealer for service" Well DEF level is at 95%. Today the dealer informed me that they have to order new engine gaskets. DEF message will not go away and they have to contact Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep for answers. My dealer has 1 qualified diesel mechanic. The other dealer with qualified diesel mechanic is 2.5 hours away.

I love the GC especially the milage I get 24.8-25.4 in city and 32.0+ on Hwy.

Just wondering if anyone else had any or all of these problems.
Since they replaced my CAT with the redesigned one (if that's what they really did) our Limited has had zero problems for the last several months. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been experiencing DEF issues since 2 days, at first it showed DEF maintenance - see dealer message. I then checked the DEF level, it was 1/4. Called my dealer, they said to first try to fill DEF to at least 1/2, but that didn't do the trick. After that, the DEF engine will not start in X miles came on, but went away on the same trip when the ACC/FCW warning came on for 10 seconds.

Currently I don't have any messages, but the check engine light is still on, and that prevents the remote starter to function, as it stops the engine 10 seconds after noticeing the check engine light.

Appointement at dealer on monday, can't wait to see what it is now... (Battery failed in october)

Bought this truck brand new in July, it now has 6k miles and I'm missing my old G35 sedan with more than 120K miles, at least that car never failed on me in 5 years... I bought this truck to ensure I don't get a failure on the road while I have my newborn onboard, especially in winter here, now I'm scared of driving the truck with my baby ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had so many problems with my JGC diesel. Every 4 months it needs to go in to the dealer because of the diesel environmental systems breaking down. Got the "Incorrect DEF" warning, now it's in the shop for a new catalytic converter. This vehicle is a total disaster!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It gets better I was about to loose my mind. Got my cat replaced. No more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the SCR replaced at 49000 miles. My jeep is a 2014. It now has 60400 miles on it and hasn't had any other issues.
I am used to diesels all my farming life. I feel that the engine will outlast the chassis, at least 200,000 thousand miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I guess I didn't knock the wood hard enough. The check engine light came on at 20K and in less than 300 miles has gone off 2 more times. At the dealership they had it for two days and the service bulletin had them reset it. That didn't work so they had to re-flash it. They drove it 100+ miles to check it. (seems like they put a lot of miles on my vehicle each time) Picked it up Thursday afternoon, didn't drive it Friday and this morning (Sat) the light is now back on. I'm averaging less than 2000 miles before the check engine light goes off, 100 miles in between with these latest 3. This is so frustrating!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2014 (February build) model. There were no emissions issues until I got the infamous check engine code at about 40,000 miles. The dealer flashed it, and when the light came back on after a week or so, the dealer replaced the cat, no questions asked. I now am at 49,000 miles with no further issues. This car runs and tows like a dream, so I hope the issue stays solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Update: I have been informed that Chrysler will be doing a buy back on my 2014 JGC ECD. I am pleasantly surprised and very pleased.

If all goes smoothly, I will get a later model and continue to be a Chrysler customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Jeep is only giving me $37K towards another vehicle after factoring in mileage. I am averaging less than 10K a year. To get a 2016 with the same features I have to cough up an additional $7K plus tax. I have been paying $650 a month for over 2 years, that's $18K and now I have to give them another $7K. That means I have spent over $13K a year for basically a rental with problems that took my time to get fixed. I could have rented one hell of a vehicle for $1100 a month, even at rental's exorbitant prices! How is that a fair buy back?

I don't know what I'm going to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeep is only giving me $37K towards another vehicle after factoring in mileage. I am averaging less than 10K a year. To get a 2016 with the same features I have to cough up an additional $7K plus tax. I have been paying $650 a month for over 2 years, that's $18K and now I have to give them another $7K. That means I have spent over $13K a year for basically a rental with problems that took my time to get fixed. I could have rented one hell of a vehicle for $1100 a month, even at rental's exorbitant prices! How is that a fair buy back?

I don't know what I'm going to do?
It's interesting that they are giving in and doing buybacks. When I tried maybe 1.5 years ago they flat out refused and gave me free oil changes.... Not sure I would do a buy back now, since the vehicle seems fixed, unless it made financial sense, or of course there are more problems that come up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey can someone help me? I just bought a 2014 JGC Diesel and not sure if it has a block heater. I have looked and cant find the plug maybe not looking in the right spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had the heads replaced on my 14 after my 'shudder' reappeared. All done under TSB. The vehicle was at the dealer for a week and they gave me a loaner. Vehicle drives like it did when I bought it. Torque and mileage back up.
Keep you posted. Smell a faint hint of coolant when I put it in garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had the heads replaced on my 14 after my 'shudder' reappeared. All done under TSB. The vehicle was at the dealer for a week and they gave me a loaner. Vehicle drives like it did when I bought it. Torque and mileage back up.
Keep you posted. Smell a faint hint of coolant when I put it in garage.

Mine goes in Monday for new heads. Same 'wash board' vibration from engine at 60 MPH. TSB covers it. Also, just got "service DEF system" message; already had cat replaced so it'll be interesting to see what diagnosis this produces.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey can someone help me? I just bought a 2014 JGC Diesel and not sure if it has a block heater. I have looked and cant find the plug maybe not looking in the right spot.
They all have block heaters but often they didn't install the cable (it's a $95 option). You can buy the cable on line. I couldn't find where it plugs in (a lift is a big help) so I had my local dealer install it when doing an oil change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine goes in Monday for new heads. Same 'wash board' vibration from engine at 60 MPH. TSB covers it. Also, just got "service DEF system" message; already had cat replaced so it'll be interesting to see what diagnosis this produces.
Update to TSB and new heads. They did replace the heads, no question. There are 3 different head gaskets, which they did not initially order all 3, so after the heads were removed, they started looking for the correct gasket; not locally of course. Also took care of 'Service DEF' message, PCM update fixed this ??? 42,000 miles, still love the Summit; at least Jeep keeps trying to make this right.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts