Diesel Jeep Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had the heads replaced on my 14 after my 'shudder' reappeared. All done under TSB. The vehicle was at the dealer for a week and they gave me a loaner. Vehicle drives like it did when I bought it. Torque and mileage back up.
Keep you posted. Smell a faint hint of coolant when I put it in garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its been a couple weeks now since the new heads... That torque I mentioned earlier.... gone.... Back to feeling a little sluggish and lots of turbo lag.
I opened up a new star case and now I have intermittent glow plug issues. Not to mention a noisy AF rattle in my dash on the passenger side. I'm certain the fix for that is 'turn up the radio'......
I'll be pressing my new case manager for a replacement vehicle... Doubt it will stick, but all I can do is try.....stay tuned...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you live in CT? I have associates in CT . . .
Your comments make no sense.
No dealer "tops off" DEF tanks. It is an eight gallon tank that requires periodic maintenance (i.e., the owner has to refill it as needed).
By you own comments, the DEF you purchased a Home Depot, to save money, was chemically correct. Your point in that discussion?
The block heater is, was, and has always been an option. The $147 installation after the vehicle has been built is an industry reasonable charge. Check this out with your local Audi, BMW, Mercedes, or Toyota dealer. You may be surprised at the extremely low cost your Jeep dealer charged you.
Your newly installed block heater had/has nothing to do with your remote start capability. So I do not understand your comment about "I couldn't use my remote starter" . . . ?
Bone up on your vehicle and it's features please.
It's called an "Owners Manual?
You did after all pay $57K for your JGC Summit.
One would think that someone investing that kind of money would at least be aware of the rudimentary functions of a "diesel powered" SUV???
You are concerned about the dealer?
I am more concerned about "you" the lost customer . . .

Tom
Mr. RUDE Tom.....If you are finished chastising the fellow with problems you might "bone up" (your term) on your comments. YES, The DEALER WILL fill the DEF tank FREE if you ask. Mine was half full and a week later I noticed this, took it back and they filled it. I was told that the vehicles are shipped only partially filled because DEF has a shelf life. Had YOU read earlier posts you would have seen where several have had problems after using "off brand" DEF so his concern about Home Depot fluid was valid. I do agree that a block heater should not be required for his remote start to operate but since I, nor you, were there.....perhaps it bypasses remote start if a block heater is installed and the temp gets low. My recommendation, Sir, is to allow others some dignity as they might not be as "well versed" as yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since they replaced my CAT with the redesigned one (if that's what they really did) our Limited has had zero problems for the last several months. (Knock on wood)
I just had my 2015 Jeep GC outfitted with a new SCR CAT. I crawled under to take a look and the new section of exhaust has a crease in it towards the rear clamp (where it connects to the Y connection for the mufflers), I didn't look at the old one, but is this crease normal? (it is in the side of the passenger side of the pipe.) wondering if anyone can crawl under theirs and let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2014 GC Limited new with 3.0L eco diesel. At 91K the engine blew -cam shaft issue, apparently known problem, but FC didn't want to admit. Dealer is replacing the engine because of my extended waranty, but I wonder if the problem is really fixed. I would assume the new engine was built after 2014. Has anyone had or heard of any more issues with engine failures since the 2014 models? Thanks for your help. I want to make a decision whether to sell this vehicle or keep it. I've been a Jeep owner for over 20 years, but this issue really irritated me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No....Not I. And I have been on this site since 2013. VM Motori has been making diesels since 1947 one would think they would have a handle on it by now.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it, and will see how the new engine performs once installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2014 GC Limited new with 3.0L eco diesel. At 91K the engine blew -cam shaft issue, apparently known problem, but FC didn't want to admit. Dealer is replacing the engine because of my extended waranty, but I wonder if the problem is really fixed. I would assume the new engine was built after 2014. Has anyone had or heard of any more issues with engine failures since the 2014 models? Thanks for your help. I want to make a decision whether to sell this vehicle or keep it. I've been a Jeep owner for over 20 years, but this issue really irritated me.
2015 EcoDiesel Engine problems! Randomly while towing our fishing boat something inside the Jeep let loose and punched a hole the size of a fist in the engine block, Chrysler had to approve a new engine for a 2 year old vehicle with less than 16K miles on it. RIDICULOUS!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
New "noise" coming from motor on my 2014 JGC with 95k miles. Dealer says, no noise can be found all is well, last night! This morning JGC looses power on interstate, low oil light comes on, I pull to side of interstate just in time for motor to stop. AAA brings JGC to dealer. Dealer calls me later today...don't bother picking up your Jeep tonight it's going to be here a while "the motor is LOCKED up". Oil pan has debris in it to, and they continue to look at it tomorrow. I'm 4500 miles away from being over the 100k mile powertrain warranty! I LOVE this Jeep...why are they not surviving for us?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good Luck. After they pull it completely apart the "debris" may be determined by Corporate (who has the final say) not to be caused by a manufacturing defect. Ask the owners with the DEF pumps and lines. What "debris" was found?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. FCA Claim agent calls to tell me that the Area Mgr. wants to speak to me today. Motor is being replaced. I hope to see/find out why this happened...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have information on why it is taking so long to get a replacement EcoDiesel engine? Spun the bearings on a 2015 Grand Cherokee on May 16 at 73k miles; FCA agreed to replace under warranty. In mid-June, with no replacement engines available, the issue was "escalated" to FCA Case Management, where as of July 9 they continue to say "due having the part upgraded to ensure priority we do not have a tentative ETA at the moment." Their lack of candor makes me think there are larger problems with the replacement engines other than a simple backlog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had FCA Case Management on the phone today as they have not been responding to my emails. The rep said she had an update---they are going to try to get a different repair part. The original part they were going after was a *remanufactured* complete engine, now they are going to try to get a new complete engine (which I thought I would be getting all along). I am a little miffed that they were going the remanufactured route, and that they gave it 2.5 months before giving up and authorizing the new engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had FCA Case Management on the phone today as they have not been responding to my emails. The rep said she had an update---they are going to try to get a different repair part. The original part they were going after was a *remanufactured* complete engine, now they are going to try to get a new complete engine (which I thought I would be getting all along). I am a little miffed that they were going the remanufactured route, and that they gave it 2.5 months before giving up and authorizing the new engine.
Will it be a new NEW engine with the higher torque and HP or a new OLD engine, like was original?

·
Registered
5 Posts
FCA wouldn't share the part number, and they haven't yet confirmed they will even get the new engine. I will give them a couple more days before I ping them again (they aren't proactive about communication). It would have to be compatible with the 2015 wiring, so my guess it will be the "new old" engine. Will post an update when FCA gives me any more info. Two months and three weeks and counting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FCA wouldn't share the part number, and they haven't yet confirmed they will even get the new engine. I will give them a couple more days before I ping them again (they aren't proactive about communication). It would have to be compatible with the 2015 wiring, so my guess it will be the "new old" engine. Will post an update when FCA gives me any more info. Two months and three weeks and counting.
I was just curious. Didn't think about the wiring. I suppose they stock some extra engines they can pull from? Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received an update today from FCA (after pinging them)
spunbearing.jpg
. The alternate repair part is not yet authorized; they have to get the OK from the local Jeep service manager, and he has been on vacation. I found out the part they originally ordered 2.5 months ago was a *short block.* The pending authorization is for a new complete engine. As oil with metal shavings flowed through the cylinder heads and turbo, why would the dealership order only a block (especially for warranty work?)? Were they trying to get more shop hours for their mechanics (a lot easier to pull/replace an engine than take it all apart, clean, rebuild on a short block)? The FCA rep is very tight with information; it is like pulling teeth to get a straight answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Close out post on the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel that ingested its main bearings. The dealer gave us the jeep back in late August with a new engine. Later that day we loaded up the family to head to our cabin, and made it 10 miles before the plastic panels underneath the car started falling off on the freeway; they had forgotten to tighten them down. Back to the shop. Four days later, we got it back. I gave it a more thorough shake down this time, which I'm glad I did. Upon medium acceleration, a horrible gear grinding sound happened. Back to the shop on Aug 29. The techs can replicate the problem at will, but have no clue. They get special test equipment from FCA, and determine it is a problem with a line going to the turbo. They replace it, and in late October decide "while it is still making softer grinding sounds and the car is sluggish," that it is good enough to return to me. No way. Ended up getting less than blue book for a trade on a 2019 gas Grand Cherokee. Figured I couldn't trade it in anywhere else. The Jeep dealer knows of the problem, so I wasn't trying to fool anyone. But I have felt taken advantage of.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts