Diesel Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am looking for a daily driver and looking at either a 2008 3.0L Mercedes or a 2014 or 2015 VM (what I can afford) Cherokee for a winter months. It appears there is little or no support/performance options for the 07-08. I can't find any company making performance tuners for 07-08. I do know about the oil cooler seals issue on the 07-08, but other than that these seem very reliable. Are the 2014/2015 as reliable when deleted? Both would have +/- 150,000 miles and I understand little things/maintenance will be needed, just want to avoid major known problems. I understand most of the issues are emissions related. I look forward to your input and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
I am looking for a daily driver and looking at either a 2008 3.0L Mercedes or a 2014 or 2015 VM (what I can afford) Cherokee for a winter months. It appears there is little or no support/performance options for the 07-08. I can't find any company making performance tuners for 07-08. I do know about the oil cooler seals issue on the 07-08, but other than that these seem very reliable. Are the 2014/2015 as reliable when deleted? Both would have +/- 150,000 miles and I understand little things/maintenance will be needed, just want to avoid major known problems. I understand most of the issues are emissions related. I look forward to your input and thank you for your time.
I have had a 2008 Limited for 8 years and have driven it 115,000 miles (270,000 miles total). The Mercedes 3.0L is a solid platform. You can get an engine tune from Malone, Stage 1.5 I believe

I have also just picked up a 2016 EcoDiesel Limited 75th Anniversary. The first thing I purchased was a tune and all stage 2 delete parts. All the current Recalls have been completed on the '16. In comparison, I have not had any engine recalls on the '08 CRD.

I am replacing the '08 because the Michigan cancer has eaten the rockers away, but I would not be afraid at this point to see 300,000 miles on that motor. I am on my 3rd water pump in the '08 since I purchased it with 155,000 miles. The largest issues I had was mostly self inflicted, I had to change out the head due to a broke injector hold down bolt. If you know about the oil cooler leaking on the CRD, that tends to be the worst issue most face with it. In contrast, the EcoD has issues with the EGR failing, the oil cooler failing, and some other potential overheating issues.

As far as performance support, what are you looking for? In stock trim with the Malone Tune (I have GDE HotTune) you hit roughly 240hp 420ft-lb. I will consistently out perform WK Hemi's on road with an average of 21mpg over 102,000 tracked miles, and off-road while running full AC in the summer. The only thing a Hemi is going to do better is more RPM range and faster (quicker and top end). My '08 appears to be much friendly to work on than the '16 as far as working space around the engine.

Fuel mileage; like I said above, my '08 has averaged 21mpg over the 102,000 I have tracked it, but have driven about 115,000 miles since ownership.
My '16 should get me to about 25-27 estimating once the tune and deletes are completed.

The EcoD is being used by Banks Power as the base for their 630T, so overall it cannot be that terrible of an engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had a 2008 Limited for 8 years and have driven it 115,000 miles (270,000 miles total). The Mercedes 3.0L is a solid platform. You can get an engine tune from Malone, Stage 1.5 I believe

I have also just picked up a 2016 EcoDiesel Limited 75th Anniversary. The first thing I purchased was a tune and all stage 2 delete parts. All the current Recalls have been completed on the '16. In comparison, I have not had any engine recalls on the '08 CRD.

I am replacing the '08 because the Michigan cancer has eaten the rockers away, but I would not be afraid at this point to see 300,000 miles on that motor. I am on my 3rd water pump in the '08 since I purchased it with 155,000 miles. The largest issues I had was mostly self inflicted, I had to change out the head due to a broke injector hold down bolt. If you know about the oil cooler leaking on the CRD, that tends to be the worst issue most face with it. In contrast, the EcoD has issues with the EGR failing, the oil cooler failing, and some other potential overheating issues.

As far as performance support, what are you looking for? In stock trim with the Malone Tune (I have GDE HotTune) you hit roughly 240hp 420ft-lb. I will consistently out perform WK Hemi's on road with an average of 21mpg over 102,000 tracked miles, and off-road while running full AC in the summer. The only thing a Hemi is going to do better is more RPM range and faster (quicker and top end). My '08 appears to be much friendly to work on than the '16 as far as working space around the engine.

Fuel mileage; like I said above, my '08 has averaged 21mpg over the 102,000 I have tracked it, but have driven about 115,000 miles since ownership.
My '16 should get me to about 25-27 estimating once the tune and deletes are completed.

The EcoD is being used by Banks Power as the base for their 630T, so overall it cannot be that terrible of an engine.
Hello Ggrassmid,

Thank you for the comparison and the Malone option. That's my biggest fear is not being able to tune the truck.

This Jeep will be a winter commuter / daily driver. I have a 90 YJ with a 4BT Cummins for summer and a ISB Dodge Cummins. It's great to hear you got almost 300K before selling. Did you have any injector issues, glow plug or suspension issues? I read the fuel tanks like to root also.

Hearing this I am really looking at the 08 CRD over the WK2 with the VM motor.

Thank you for the great information, much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still driving my 2008 CRD. It has 268,000 miles on it. I dont think I am selling it, but that has yet to be fully determined.
I live in Michigan, pretty sure the 08 spent its life in Michigan. My fuel tank rotted out this past year. I bought a new steel tank from RockAuto and found a NIB tank/skid plate carrier.
Now I need to figure out what to do with the rockers. Partially replace with factory type panels plus square tubing for rock sliders, or to sell it as is... I am undecided.
I've done general brake replacements over 115,000 miles. Normal-ish oil changes, Amsoil 5w30 Euro 229.51 spec (filters 5000miles, full change 15,000 miles).
No issues with injectors or glow plugs, but the glow plugs got replaced at 175,000 miles with the heads and turbo "rebuild" from the broken injector hold down bolt. The copper injector seals do go bad, but it is an easy replacement (good digital torque wrench needed).
I replaced the springs and shocks around 165,000 miles with Old Man Emu MD Front springs and HD Rear springs. i also removed both sway bars. I'm pretty sure the OME shocks need to be replaced, they lived a good life doing what they were meant for; off-road enjoyment.
I would have loved to find another 2008 Limited or Overland sub 150,000 miles clean with no rust versus going for this EcoD; based on the problems in 2014 when introduced, and some forum readings. It seems that getting rid of the EGR system, the DEF system, and the DPF that a lot of the issues dissipate. There are people in both RAMs and WK2 that talk about engine cooling system issues. Based on this, now that I have the tunes and deletes ordered, I'm looking at replacing the radiator and figuring out a way to get a auxiliary engine oil cooler mounted and by-passing the factory oil cooler setup. This is why I'm thinking of keeping the ol' reliable 2008 Mercedes CRD for a couple more years.
The 2016 I am hoping it'll last me 10-15years and/or see 300,000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.