Diesel Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
This is why I change my own oil...and also because it will be a cold day in hell before I pay $180 for an oil change. Similar to the SCR system and the type of DEF you use, the engine cannot tell what type of oil you are using...nor does it care. Of course if you want to stay within spec you should use Mopar or the Euro L, but my father has been putting 10-40 in every vehicle he has ever owned with no issues. I'm not suggesting this but the simple fact is that engines just want to be lubricated, yes they are engineered with a certain viscosity and weight in mind but they mostly don't care what the product is. I cannot imagine your engine will have any issues with stuff that wasn't technically specified...especially since Mopar did it anyway. My local dealer doesn't even sell Mopar branded oil...they use the Pennzoil Euro L for $6.60/quart. Cheapest I have found it.

· Registered
54 Posts
Amazon..$45. Total rip off but you gotta have it. It will piss you off when you see what it looks like. I paid $45 for this!!!!! The dealer wanted $60. These are canister type filters so it sits in a pool of old oil. Go to the dollar store and get a turkey baster to remove the old oil from the filter housing. You can spend more on a fancy siphon pump but I like extra beer money.

http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-6822-94...d=1426859700&sr=8-6&keywords=mopar+oil+filter

This might be helpful also.
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900413.pdf

· Registered
54 Posts
For the most part oil is oil...you can disagree if you wish, but that's the truth. Are you seriously suggesting that an engine will fail if the exact oil specified isn't used each and every time, and you are a mechanic? An engine is suddenly going to stop working because someone used 5W30 rather that 10W30...that's laughable. You should read my post again....I clearly did not suggest using anything other than the specified oil for this vehicle and identified the fact that manufacturers do spec certain types of oil for their engines. I was just trying to give a little piece of mind to the original poster. If his WK blows up because of the non specified oil issue then I'll eat my words, until then I'll stand by my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.